Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on Russian Jewish "arranged marriages"

Looking for info on Russian Jewish "arranged marriages"

Posted: 27 Feb 2009 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: SHERMAN
I'm researching a family whose parents had a "marriage arranged in Russia". I know that Jewish immigration to the US was effectively closed sometime in 1924. Their first child was born in 1927 so I'm wondering if they were married in Russia or if the husband "arranged" for a bride to be sent from Russia or some other story. The family's name is SHERMAN and I have lots of possibilities in the 1930 Census - I'm trying to narrow them down by using the year(s) the husband and wife immigrated.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Gaye Sherman Tannenbaum

Re: Looking for info on Russian Jewish "arranged marriages"

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 2:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
The 1930 census does not have information regarding year of immigration. That info is present in 1910 and 1920. Not sure what you are looking for in any census that would help you discriminate among the many Shermans. And- if a woman from Russia arrived with the intention of marrying Mr. Sherman I expect her to have come under her maiden name.

You may be overstating the case regarding Jewish immigration to the US being effectively closed sometime in 1924. Ancestry shows 230,000 Jews coming in to NY in the four year period prior to 1924, and about 20% of that number arriving in the four year period after 1924. I would say Jewish immigration was substantially reduced not closed.

David

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 12:55PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I rechecked the 1930 Census and it certainly DOES have year of immigration. As for what I'm looking for in the Census - I'm trying to get a handle on what years of immigration would "make sense". Should I be looking for a couple who immigrated after 1924 - since their first child was born in 1927? I have an approximate age on the wife - if my information is correct, she would have been 18 when her eldest son was born in 1927. I think I can eliminate any wife who immigrated prior to 1924 as she would have only been 15. I just want to know if my assumption is plausible.

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 2:13PM GMT
Sorry about the immigration info in 1930. When I checked the blank form on Ancestry I failed to look at the lower half of the image.
If they were married in US in an arranged marriage or not they could have come ever as children in any year before 1927. If you are sure the marriage was arranged in Russia and they were married there then they probably came together in 1926-27. If she came alone to marry him then she came in 1926-27. That is my best guess. Teenage women rarely immigrated alone.

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 3:48PM GMT
I think she may have come over with her parents. I'm working off a document that is 50+ years old. It says "their marriage was arranged in Russia" and I can't find anything else on where or when they were married. I was thinking if I could locate them in the Census - I could compare the year of immigration to how long they'd been married as of 1930 and having the first names, year and borough, get the marriage certificate from the NYC Archives - at least, that's the plan. I wish I had their first names or even the name of their eldest son. I only have names for the kids born after 1930. So I may have to wait for the 1940 Census.

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 4:37PM GMT
Have you looked at the databases available at http://www.italiangen.org/VRECLIST.stm

If they were married in NYC there might be a clue there.

David

Posted: 28 Feb 2009 7:21PM GMT
I'm very familiar with ItalianGen - but I'll need first names because there are SO MANY SHERMANS. I've got the list of all SHERMAN marriages 1923-1927 - at $15 a pop it's a lot of marriage certificates if I do them all and I'm nowhere near NYC to do in-person research at the Municipal Archives.

Posted: 18 Jun 2014 11:46PM GMT
How sure are you concerning the arranged marriage? How sure are you that their first child was born in 1927? What was the name of their first born child?
Finding info concerning adoptions are very hard unless you know the adoption agency and place that it took place. I have many Sherman's on my side of the family but that I know of, they were born different years. Some in the 1870's and some in the early 1900's. Others after that. i can ask some of the Sherman's on my side of the family if they heard of an arranged marriage taking place somewhere around that time.

Posted: 21 Jun 2014 1:40PM GMT
Here we are five years after I wrote that post and I can say that only a few months after I wrote it, the issue was solved. The couple arrived in February 1930 with their 3 year old son. The name was changed to SHERMAN in 1935 when the family naturalized although the 1940 census still shows the original name.

Although I did not mention adoption, this is indeed what it was about. I was born and adopted in NYC and this couple were my maternal grandparents. Case closed.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic