Search for content in message boards

Mundia.com posts your private Ancestry trees when you join

Mundia.com posts your private Ancestry trees when you join

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 5:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
I joined Ancestry affiliate Mundia.com yesterday, fully expecting that my 3 public trees would be accessed from Ancestry.com. What I did not expect was that they would also upload my 2 private Ancestry trees AND some private trees I did not own but was an invited guest. If you delete a tree off Mundia, you delete it from Ancestry too-Nice bit of pressure there, thank you very much. What you can do is hit a button that says hide my trees , which I did, but a friend searched today and both my private and public trees were viewable. Also, if you google "Mundia plus a surname, (example google "Mundia Schmidt", it gives you a back door into Mundia. If Mundia can grab our private Ancestry trees, then Ancestry's privacy policy on private trees means nothing. I have been in tiouch with the ever polite Ancestry associates, who cannot help this private tree problem from their end. Mundia does not have a phone number and to date has not responded to my emails. so buyer beware!

Re: Mundia.com posts your private Ancestry trees when you join

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 6:04PM GMT
Really? Your private trees? I find that hard to believe, but what do I know?

Why exactly would you join Mundia?

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 6:12PM GMT
Because I have been researching immigrants from an entire Italian town as a hobby for 15 years, and want to share my work and find other immigrant families from the same town. Mundia has a world wide audience, and I want to share our history. But they REALLY do take your private trees as well. Really!!! I have had other friends confirm they can find my private trees on Mundia today. Oh, and I quit yesterday, but any info I added to my Ancestry trees today shows up on the Mundia tree. Did it to test and I saw one friend confirm this for me with my own eyes. So even tho I hit the "hide my trees"button and "I want to quit" button on Mundia, they are still making all my trees viewable. And they ignore your emails. Wow, how can you resist joining a great site like this. Yeah.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 6:36PM GMT
I just tested mundia using a free mundia account, searching for profiles in private trees in my Ancestry account. I want to make this crystal clear, I have two independent accounts.
No data from my private trees returned.

Might you have recently changes the status from public to private? Could you actually see all the data in the tree?

If you private tree data is appearing on mundia, you need to call support, stat.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 6:58PM GMT
I tested the same way daciodan did and nothing showed up from any of my private trees at all. Just a thought...you would be able to see your own private trees on Mundia, and anyone you invited to your trees would be able to see them as well. Could that possibly be what's happening?

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 8:13PM GMT
They have been private trees from the git go and I checked today and yesterday on Ancestry and they are fully private. Try searching for Thomas Rehrey, a rare name in my tree. You will find him and son on my 2 public trees on Ancestry and one private for me (there are some other family trees that have him too). Now search for him on Mundia. You will see several trees, including my private one. I set up a dummy account on Mundia with another email just so I could look in to Mundia's response to my trees. Bear in mind I also hit the button on Mundia to make my trees hidden.I have been in touch with both Ancestry and the no reply Mundia. Just changed the names on my trees to see if I can break the links to Mundia. Takes a couple days for Ancestry to batch changes to trees. I have been an Ancestry member since 2000 and a computer user since 1985. I know what I am seeing on Mundia, and it is not pretty.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 8:16PM GMT
no because I created a dummy account on mundia using another email never linked to ancestry ever and I can find my 2 private trees plus all their attachments. So maybe Mundia had a bad day yesterday, but the Ancestry support person I called today could also see my private tree on Mundia too.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 8:22PM GMT
Oh, I also used my brand new tablet just bought this week where I had never accessed Ancestry, and I could find my private trees on Mundia. Believe me , I wish it were not so. My only hope is that it might take Mundia a couple days to make my Mundia trees hidden. Also, I was a Mundia member yesterday for only about 10 minutes before I realized what had happened with the private trees, but it was too late, as they were uploaded already. Never invited anyone to anything on Mundia in the 10 minutes I was on, and no one else is on my private Ancestry trees.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 9:28PM GMT
Yippee. The glitch is fixed and my private trees are not on Mundia as of about an hour ago. Apparently some of you had good luck in joining Mundia, but I must have hit a glitch when they took my private trees too. I want to thank the many Ancestry.com staffers who listened to my rants and got this problem fixed. And good bye Mundia. Maybe I will post a barebones gedcom in the future under a non ancestry account to share my work . Thanks for your all of your suggestions too.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 9:57PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2013 10:16PM GMT
This is all quite disturbing - the primary reason I changed my main tree to private status was due to all the screwups in connection with Mundia and privacy issues a couple of years ago (for instance, the first time I stumbled across it, my and every other member's REAL name was displayed, rather than the Ancestry username). I will have to check and see whether my now-private tree has reappeared.

UPDATE: no sign of my private tree there, this must have been a localized issue.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions