Search for content in message boards

how do you all flag tentative connections? plus source question

how do you all flag tentative connections? plus source question

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 8:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
How do you all flag especially tentative spouse and sibling, etc. connections? For example, my 95 year old great aunt has a list of 5 sisters and 1 brother from her family bible and strongly doubts there were any others. But, 2nd hand sources on Ancestry.com (the kind where you can't see the orig document but it says it was from a collections search) and sometimes first hand (where you can actually read the census doc directly) will indicate others. Either they died or moved away and she never knew them, or it's just wrong.

I'd like to be able to flag tentative connections but do you do this with a comment in the Comments section, a note in the private notes feature, in the description field after their birth or death date?

--------------------

Also, I'd like to enter my great aunt as a "source" for the siblings she can confirm but backed out of the formal Add A Source feature in edit mode where it seemed more for formal sources and not anecdotal. Still I want to now which ones I've vetted with a direct contact with an elder family member and if others look later, I want them to be able to weigh that "source" with other more formal sources like documents (or the lack thereof) ...

Do you all go ahead and use the sources feature and treat anecdotal as a Source (albeit a light one)? Or do you enter comments? Etc

Re: how do you all flag tentative connections? plus source question

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 9:02PM GMT
One thing you can do (I did this with my great grandmother's siblings and parents) is make a copy of the relevant Bible pages and attach those to the profiles of the people indicated, and then cite "Smith family Bible" (or whatever) as a source. Often, once you have the dates and names, you can find additional "official" sources (although for children who died young, etc., there may be nothing else out there).

As to whether there were other siblings, it's certainly possible that if they died very young, people did not talk about them any longer by the time your great aunt came along (assuming she was the youngest, for instance). If by "collections search" you mean something like the Family Data Collection, that's nothing but what people have reported and no more accurate than others' trees - I would take it as a hint for a name to search, but nothing more.

For how to source you great aunt's information, I would list it in the "description" section and maybe add a "story" that says what you learned from her, then attach it to each relevant person.

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 10:25PM GMT
You can create a source-citation for the Bible, using that as source for whatever data is in it. You can include in the "detail" for the citation who the present owner is and who prior known owners were. For example, I have copies from a Bible presently in possession of a distant cousin, who was given it by one of her aunts; it has entries in several hands -- and the original owner was probably the aunt's mother, judging by the consistent handwriting for all of that mother's children's birth dates. You can then attach the Bible source-citation to the persons whose vital dates are listed.

You can use the 'story' function to create a transcript of the Bible entries together with whatever history you know about it (including publication data from the title page, if you have access to it), and then attach the 'story' to the other persons. One way to do this is create the transcript in a word-processor on your computer and save as a PDF file, which deters others from making changes if they copy your story from your tree (if it is a public tree). This you can easily upload and attach to multiple tree persons all in one operation.

If you have doubts about whether a person belongs in a family, you can use the 'suffix' field to add "possible" or whatever makes sense to you. This will not change how the name is alphabetized in your tree's "List of persons" but will appear with the person's name in the list. There is really no obvious way to 'flag' a date or place as questionable that way, but the suggestion to annotate in the "description" field is sound -- so you will see it when you look at the person's profile page.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 2:19AM GMT
Great ideas, but when people say the Description field, which one? The one with the Birth or Death field?

love the idea of using the suffix and ways to modularly use the source/citation feature.

Also of using pdf and uploading.

What is the Story function though? Not sure if I've noticed that yet or not?

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 3:05AM GMT
Story: on person profile page click "add media", click to add story, you get option to upload file from your computer or to write one using the story form.

The story software to write there is very primitive, does not retain paragraph breaks or allow indents, so not really recommended unless you are writing just one paragraph.

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 5:36AM GMT
Any event in the timeline will have a description field, if you click on it to open the edit function for that event. If you question whether someone is a member of a particular family, I probably would put my remarks in the description field for the birth event. (If that's not making sense, just click on any event in a timeline, and you will see the description field.)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions