Search for content in message boards

Stokes Family

Stokes Family

Posted: 1 Jul 2001 11:06PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Hutchinson, Wallace, Francis, Stokes, Herring, Kirkland, Knight, Cummings, Speights
Looking for info on Benjamin Franklin Stokes-1/2 Cherokee,
Married Ann Cummings-March 11, 1882 in Columbia, Mississippi-Marion Coumty. Ann full blooded Cherokee- d. in1929. Ann's nickname was Fefe.
Their children: Alton Stokes-(my grandfather) m. Addie Herring
Minnie - m. Jim Thompson
Arie - m. Lee Stanley
Cora- m. Joe Holmes
Mae- m. Johnny Sills
Lilly- m. J. L. Hart
Carrie- ( was the oldest)
Anyone with any info, PLEASE email me:
ktrahan426@yahoo.com

Re: Stokes Family

Posted: 14 Jun 2002 7:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STOKES
Do you know if the oldest child, Carrie, moved across the river into eastern Arkansas? Was her middle name possibly Camelia or something similar?

Patricia Stokes Mccastlain (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2003 5:14PM GMT
I am trying to find imformation on my grandfather parents. His father was from Indiana and his mother from Arkansas. According to 1930 census. His name is Judge Sonia Stokes born around 1880 from bible and the census said 1884. He said his parents lived around Judsonia,Arkansas and they were killed in a tornada there when he was very young. He had a sister that was younger. They were suposed to have own a farm and a uncle got the farm when the children were made an orphan to take care of them. We do not know his uncle name or his parents name. I was told one time they were send to Memphis,Tn.,to a family by the name of Steins or something like this. Could be a tale. We have a beautiful picture of him in a Christianing dress around 2 or so, that is was it look like in color largeframe with a bubble glass and a lock of his blonde hair which was blonde and picture is in color eyes blue and very fair skin. Thank you pat

Sharlotte Hughes (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2003 12:23AM GMT
I know almost nothing on Carrie Stokes. She was dark skinned and dark haired. She was part Cherokee. This is all that we know. The area of Arkansas is close to where your Stokes ancestor was from, I believe. Carrie is now deceased and her surviving children know nothing about their grandparents. I wish that I could help you more, but sadly, I do not have the information that you seek. I am sorry. Just keep looking dear. Perhaps someday we will both find out more about our ancestors.
Sincerely,
Sharlotte Hughes

Kay Trahan (View posts)
Posted: 19 Oct 2003 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: Stokes
I thank you for you response. I wish you did have something on the Stokes. My Grandfather Alton Stokes was Carrie Stokes' brother. I did not know my grandfather well. I only know what my Mother has told me. He was 3/4 Cherokee Indian. He was dark and tall. He was at least 6' 4". If you do find any thing please let me know! Thanks again!

Patricia Stokes Mccastlain (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2003 12:48AM GMT
Surnames: Stokes
Thank you for the email. My grandfather had a sister but he was to young to know her name when the tornada hit Judsonia Arkansas, county Lonoke 0r White. His uncle took the two children and I do not know the year of the tornada but he was born in 1880 by bible and 1930 centus say 1884. I need to call and see who got kill in that tonnada and the court papers to see who got the children because his father own a farm. He was short and very pale blue eyes but he had some children that were dark. He was suppose to have come to Arkansas from Indiana, and married a person from Arkansas, now this is his Father and settle around Judsonia,Arkansas. We have a color picture of him in a large frame and bubble glass and he could have been in a christaing gown with a piece of his hair very blonde. My grandfather Judge had white hair all of my life. He said he turn white at 21 yrs of age. My father Boyce Wilburn (tom) Stokes had his white hair as all of his 5 childrens and the light blue eyes. They were both very light. Grandpa said he was Irish and one time he said he was black dutch he ran away from his uncle when he was about 15 but the sister he lost . He did not talk of his past much but he joked alot. He was married twice and had a set of twins boys and 3 girls from the first marriage and she died and he married again and they had 16 childrens to gather mostly boys three girls. He died in 1954 in Holly Grove, Ar. owing a farm.

Posted: 28 May 2007 7:08PM GMT
Surnames: Stokes, Whatley, Davidson, Rainwater
B.F. was brother to my great-grandfather, John B Stokes in Alabama. Contact me Cindi
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions