Search for content in message boards

1920 Us Federal Census

1920 Us Federal Census

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 9:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Devereaux, Jackson, Bacon, Bruton
I have bee having a lot of trouble with the US Federal Cesnsus 1920- Webster Parish, Ward 3- I use ancestry.com alot and have a tree of about 600 people and not one hit from the 1920 census. I have looked on Heritage Quest and and searched the microfish and cannot find any names. the Enumeration district would be 117 in the 1910 Census. Has anyone had or heard of this issue or can offer some help

Re: 1920 Us Federal Census

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 11:05PM GMT
Hi cgethers2003,

Have you tried going through the Census page by page? Laborious, I know, but I had to do that to find relatives in a NJ 1930 Census. I finally realized that the correct Census document was missing two pages on the Ancestry.com site. I ordered the microfiche through the Family History Center near me and, sure enough, there was my family on one of the two missing pages. I notified Ancestry.com and they finally added the pages to their site. Also, have you tried searching the 1920 Census for Webster Parish, using just a first name? Also laborious, but I have had luck that way also. Have you found the family in the 1940 Census? Are they at the same address they were at in 1920 or did they move? Maybe you need to try a different portion of the 1920 Census for Webster.

Good Luck!

Mary

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 2:09PM GMT
Classification: Census
I won't be able to look at my files for another couple of days, but wanted to go ahead and respond. It seems as if I do remember a problem with Webster Parish in one of the "after 1900" censuses...pages missing or something. But for sure in the 1860 census, pages are missing from Webster Ph. I checked every source I could find for census pages, and none of them have the missing pages, so I can only guess that all of those providers work from one master scan. What I did was start going thru the parish page by page noting the family numbers and suddenly there was a big jump, with those numbers never picking up again in the whole parish. I also searched for names of all of the neighboring landowners of my husband's ancestor in 1860 and none of them were listed. I have found this problem in Texas censuses too as well as other sources like Civil War records, and it is very frustrating.

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 6:35AM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Yes I have searched the 1920 census page by page on ancestry and on HeritageQuest. I have also used another site i cant recall that had the film loaded. I compared enumeration districts, census takers,I tried to use the area descriptions. I havent ordered the film from the family center however. I will try that. O I also tried the name via Soundex. I did soundex twice. I will definately try the family search. O I even looked in the next county over for the names thinking that maybe there were some border changes. I know that one may have been a longshot but hey. lol

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 6:35AM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Yes I have searched the 1920 census page by page on ancestry and on HeritageQuest. I have also used another site i cant recall that had the film loaded. I compared enumeration districts, census takers,I tried to use the area descriptions. I havent ordered the film from the family center however. I will try that. O I also tried the name via Soundex. I did soundex twice. I will definately try the family search. O I even looked in the next county over for the names thinking that maybe there were some border changes. I know that one may have been a longshot but hey. lol

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 6:40AM GMT
Thanks for your response. I have labeled myself meticulous up until now and am desperately wanting someone to check my assumption, partly because I dont want to belive it. I WANT THAT INFORMATION :). I have done multple page by page searches on ancestry, heritageQuest, and I did the Soundex. I printed out the name listing and searched for names families, anybody. So far no luck. I thought someone would have had this problem and I could get a definite answer. I am gonna try ordering the film from the familysearch center and try a page by page one more time. HA this will be at least the fourth. I could be overlooking. Thanks for your help

Posted: 4 Jan 2013 3:56PM GMT
Hi cgethers2003, I decided to go page by page of Ward 3, which was in 2 sections as you well know. In District 133 I didn't find any numbering discrepancies in the "dwelling visited" other than an occasional skipping of 1 number, which might have meant it was vacant (?). In District 134, if I were to base the quality of that census-taker's job performance on his ability to number households, then yes, you might have a problem. For instance, on Ancestry, page 4 of 20 the numbering suddenly jumps from 47 to 78 and then continues in the 70s-80s, etc. On page 14 of 20 the number 179 is followed by 170 and then continues in that vein. And last but not least, on page 19 of 20, the number 221 is followed by 122 and the rest of his district follows 122, 123, etc. Sorry that wasn't much help but it might give you a little more insight?

Posted: 5 Jan 2013 4:22AM GMT
Don't order the microfiche until you make sure that ancestry.com has all the pages posted. I am dead serious. Check in the upper right-hand corner and make sure each page number has an "A" and a "B" page. Also, if you have the family in the 1910 and 1930 Censuses, compare their addresses. I know it's a 20 year span, but it might help. Are there any City Directories or phone books for the area you need? If you have not tried that, it might be a possibility.

Good Luck!

Mary

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 7:23PM GMT
I have never checked the outlying areas from Minden (the parish seat of Webster) but as parish historian, I can tell you that the 1920 Census in Webster Parish was terribly administered. In Minden certain areas were counted twice (and on one street three times) while other areas were skipped. That caused Minden's population to nearly double in the Census between 1910 and 1920, then drop in 1930 after clear growth had taken place. The same thing may well have happened in the outlying areas, too.

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 11:43PM GMT
Thank you JAgan3405. This is continuing to confirm my findings. Another memeber of ancestry posted some great info concerning my question. thanks soo much. In my research it looks like the actual town of Doyline was counted however the further south wasnt. I can tell from where the names are located, my Father still lives there. I was just surprised that nobody else had run across this issue.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions