Search for content in message boards

Searching for cemetery of burials for Joseph, George and Rosanna Reams of North Lewisburg, Champaign County, Ohio

Searching for cemetery of burials for Joseph, George and Rosanna Reams of North Lewisburg, Champaign County, Ohio

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 6:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reams, Grubbs
I am searching for the cemetery where George, Rosanna, and Joseph Reams were buried. George and Rosannaa Reams died in 1934 and their brother, Joseph died in 1938. Their parents were Joseph and Winifred (Grubbs) Reams. I do not know where the parents were buried either.

The death certificates and obituaries just state that their bodies were buried at the cemetery in North Lewisburg. Maple Grove Cemetery, just outside of North Lewisburg has no record of any of the Reams siblings. If anyone has any suggestions, please write. Or knows of this family. Thank you.

Re: Searching for cemetery of burials for Joseph, George and Rosanna Reams of North Lewisburg, Champaign County, Ohio

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 2:07PM GMT
Edited: 23 Mar 2013 2:15PM GMT
George Reams is buried in Butcher Cemetery, North Lewisburg, Champaign County, Ohio. I found this information on www.findagrave.com The following link should take you to his page http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=re...;

Here is a description of where the cemetery is located. This cemetery is located on Tallman Street off of Railroad Street in North Lewisburg. It is also known by other names: Walnut Grove Cemetery, North Lewisburg Cemetery and erroneously, Garwood Cemetery. On June 18, 1963 a plat of a survey was taken of neighboring Lot # 270, stating:"....And also being part of a 2.5 acres tract of land used as a cemetery and owned by the Village of North Lewisburg. Said tract being sold to the Walnut Grove Cemetery Assn. by J.M. Butcher Dec. 26, 1882, Deed Vol. #60, page 3." Being part of land situated in the Village of North Lewisburg, Rush Twp., Champaign Co., OH and being part of V.M.S. 4658 and lot no. 268 of the Rivised Plat of Said Village of North Lewisburg
This information was taken from http://www.usgwarchives.net/oh/tombpics/champaign/rushtwp/bu...

Re: Searching for cemetery of burials for Joseph, George and Rosanna Reams of North Lewisburg, Champaign County, Ohio

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 2:30PM GMT
Hi Loretta 1948,

Thank you for your kind reply. I wish it were that simple. I started the Butcher (AKA Walnut Grove Cemetery) from scratch myself. I've been there many times and it is in quite poor condition. If you take a moment to see the virtual flower & note posted for this George Reams who died in 1934 (there was another George Reams who died in 1935 -- both have their own death certificates -- that George Reams who died in 1935 was buried at Maple Grove Cemetery just outside of North Lewisburg) anyway, I actually posted the note about George Reams who died in 1934 that his burial there is undocumented.

It is undocumented at this time that George Reams or his siblings were actually buried at Butcher Cemetery. I've written to Find A Grave twice now, to the Admins. of FAG, to please remove the "North Lewisburg" reference to the Butcher Cemetery because too many people are assuming that if they see the final destination of remains to be buried either in or at North Lewisburg that it has to be the Butcher Cemetery. The last recorded burial there is in 1898. I've written to the Freeman Funeral Home now run by the Vernon Family several times to please check their 1934 and 1938 records where they buried these Reams siblings; cemetery name, but they have not replied to me. I've been working with Rush Township Trustee, Cinda Bailey, who has checked her records for these Reams siblings at Maple Grove Cemetery, but no luck. She said her records are organized under the name of the plot owner. I learned, per Joseph Reams' death certificate, that a Mrs. Jesse Draper, was his informant of death. So, I had Cinda check under the Draper name as well since Several Draper people, including Jesse and his wife, were buried at Maple Grove Cemetery. Two years ago, someone erroneously, posted 47 burials at the Butcher Cemetery solely on the fact that they knew the burials were in North Lewisburg. As it turned out, almost all of those 47 names were already posted on FAG at Maple Grove Cemetery and had tombstone pictures on their FAG memorials. It took six months to sort that out and get them removed from the Butcher Cemetery. If George, Rosanna, and Joseph Reams were buried at the Butcher Cemetery, my only conclusion is that they were all buried without markers. None ever married. At the turn of the last century, there was a Walnut Grove Cemetery Association, but when those members all died off, they never deeded the cemetery to the village of North Lewisburg. It is most popularly known as Butcher because Dr. Butcher and his family were buried there and really started slated those grounds to be for burials. Because of the cemetery's very poor condition, so must history has been lost. I am trying to learn if anyone who is familiar with this Reams family, might have information where the burials too place. Larry Reams just arbitrarily posted this George Reams at the Butcher Cemetery, based on the destination of the remains, not by cemetery name. So, yes, I am quite familiar with the Butcher Cemetery since my g-g Aunt, Adaline D. Limes Winder and some of her family were buried there. But, I appreciate your trying to help. Ever since FamilySearch.org started making more and more of the death certificates available on line, people are see them but without actual cemetery names, they are making assumptions of the cemetery identity based on the name of the city listed for the final destination of the remains.

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 2:48PM GMT
Well, I certainly had fun looking for the Reams. I like a challenge, but you have the greatest challenge trying to sort out the burials at Butcher Cemetery. It is sad when so much history is lost because of a neglected cemetery. Good luck with your quest.
PS. I just put together your initials with the name I saw at findgrave and usgwarchives. Turns out I was giving you back your own information. :-)

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 3:01PM GMT
Hi Loretta,

Yep, that's sort of what you did, but that's okay. I should have been even more detailed with my query than I orginally was. The Reams (AKA Reames) are a prominent name in the North Lewisburg area and there are many of them as well. So, that also adds to some confusion. But, you were so kind and I appreciate your time in trying to help me!!!

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 1:19AM GMT
George (death date 1934), Rosana (death date 1934) and Joseph (death date 1938) are not buried in Maple Grove Cemetery UNLESS they were buried in unmarked gravesites owned by another party. The old Freeman Funeral Home records for George and Rosana list them with the last name "REAM" and as burials number 32-1934 and 33-1934 respectively. George died on July 14 and Rosana died on July 16 of that year. The burial records list "North Lewisburg" as the burial locations; however, these could have been in unmarked gravesites in the old Spain Cemetery portion of the Maple Grove Cemetery, North Lewisburg, complex. A similar situation exists for Joseph (death date 1938); he is listed with the last name "REAMS" in the old Freeman Funeral Home records as burial number 32-1938. He died on July 16th of that year. His burial is not recorded in any Maple Grove Cemetery documents for that year, UNLESS he was buried in an unmarked gravesite owned by another party. He, too, may be buried in the Spain Cemetery portion of the complex as several REAM and REAMS are buried there. Also, please note: there are NO cemetery deeds recorded as purchased for anyone named "REAM" or "REAMS in 1934 or 1938 in Maple Grove Cemetery. It becomes confusing because there are burials in Maple Grove Cemetery with the family name(s) spelled "REAM," "REAMS," and "REAMES."

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 3:04AM GMT
Thank you so much, Ralph, for replying with your details about the funeral home records.It is unfortunate that the funeral home records do not show the cemetery by a name.

On Joseph Reams' death certificate the informant was Mrs. Jesse Draper. I note on Find A Grave, a Jesse B. Draper buried at Maple Grove (with tombstone photograph)and his wife was Ella Shirk Draper. Jesse's mother is shown as Ellen E. Reams Draper. His father was Joshua Draper. All buried in Maple Grove Cemetery with gravestone photographs.

The death certificates and obituaries tell us that George, Rosana (AKA Rosanna) and Joseph died single, it certainly is possible that they were buried in unmarked graves. Joseph Reams' obituary shows that he was survived by several nieces and nephews. They all appear to be buried on a lot or lots under someone else's name. Perhaps under one of the Draper names. Yes, it is confusing with Ream/Reams/Reames used for them on different records.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions