Search for content in message boards

COOLEY, MIDDLETON

DANIEL McDONALD

Posted: 12 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jun 2003 2:30AM GMT
Surnames: COOLEY, ARRINGTON, McDONALD, CROSSETT
DANIEL McDONALD
looking for info on Daniel McDonald m. Saphronia Catherine Cooley, b ca 1853, Jasper Co., MS marr Daniel McDonald in Milam Co., TX

Saphronia's father was Middleton Cooley, son of William & Nancy Cooley, was born ca 1826 in Wayne Co., Ms. He married Elendere "Ellen" Arrington, dau of Arthur &
Milly Ann Arrington. Ellen was born July 11, 1829, in Wayne Co., MS. Ellen died 1868-1870 in Milam Co., TX, and Middleton died in the 1870's somewhere in East TX. Children of this marriage were:

Mary Jane Cooley, b ca 1851, Jasper Co., MS

marr Egbert Crossett in Milam Co., TX

Berry B. Cooley, b ca 1857, Jasper Co., MS

Ira Cooley, b ca 1868 in Milam Co., TX

Saphronia Cooley m Daniel McDonald.

jecooley@erols.com

EGBERT CROSSETT

Surnames: COOLEY, ARRINGTON, McDONALD, CROSSETT
EGBERT CROSSETT
COOLEY, MIDDLETON AND ELLEN ARRINGTON
Looking for info on Egbert Crossett m Mary Jane Cooley, b ca 1851, Jasper Co., MS marr in Milam Co., TX

Mary Jane's father was Middleton Cooley, son of William & Nancy Cooley, b ca 1826 in Wayne Co., m. Elendere "Ellen" Arrington, dau of Arthur & Milly Ann Arrington. Ellen was born July 11, 1829, in Wayne Co., MS.and died 1868-1870 in Milam Co., TX. Middleton died in the 1870's somewhere in East TX. Children of this marriage were:

Saphronia Catherine Cooley, b ca 1853, Jasper Co., MS

marr Daniel McDonald in Milam Co., TX

jecooley@erols.com

COOLEY, MIDDLETON

Surnames: COOLEY, ARRINGTON, CROSSETT, McDONALD
COOLEY, MIDDLETON AND ELLEN ARRINGTON
Looking for info on Middleton Cooley, son of William & Nancy Cooley, b ca 1826 in Wayne Co., m. Elendere "Ellen" Arrington, dau of Arthur & Milly Ann Arrington. Ellen was born July 11, 1829, in Wayne Co., MS.and died 1868-1870 in Milam Co., TX. Middleton died in the 1870's somewhere in East TX. Children of this marriage were:

Mary Jane Cooley, b ca 1851, Jasper Co., MS

marr Egbert Crossett in Milam Co., TX

Saphronia Catherine Cooley, b ca 1853, Jasper Co., MS

marr Daniel McDonald in Milam Co., TX

jecooley@erols.com

cooley, mcdonald family

Posted: 26 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jun 2002 7:17PM GMT
Surnames: cooley, mcdonald
Looking for info on an Isaac McDonald Cooley (b 1845) who married 1}Arrena Fox 2}Parthenia Ann Kennedy. Any info would be appreciated.

Cooley / McDonald

Posted: 9 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2005 6:34PM GMT
Surnames: Cooley, McDonald, Webster
Hi Sandra,
I am interested in your McDONALD and COOLEY surnames. Would you know if any of your people came from Missouri or Tennessee to Milan Co., TX?

I am told that a William G. Cooley moved from Mississippi / Scott Co., MO to Milan Co., TX and perhaps died there. He was a judge in MO.

Also, Betsy McDonald married Joseph Webster. Both are buried in Wolf Island Twp., Mississippi Co., MO -- Joseph in 1844 and Betsy in 1843.

Thanks,
Beverly

mcdonald search

mcdonald ,charles b (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: mcdonald
searching for the mcdonald family .1850 census list
Elisha 36 from Tenn. Wife Rebeccs 42 from Tenn.
3 children --William D.age 11 , Elisha M. age 8,
Daniel age 5
Milam county,TX Gen Web info;
Daniel McDonald ---wife Saphronia C Cooley Dates ??
Daniel is my grand father as shown on Soc.Sec. application
my father Charles submitted. Info on any one of the family would be helpfull. Thanks in advance .

Re: McDononald, Charles David

Cheryl McDonald (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2001 1:40AM GMT
Edited: 1 Jun 2005 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: McDonald, Cooley, Reichert, Gresham, Davis
Charles B. McDonald
Would Charles David McDonald born June 22, 1889 be your father by chance? Brother and sisters of Charles were John Middleton, James Paton, Ina Jane, D. Fletcher, Weldon, Lee Roy, Jerry, Arthur and twin Luther, Jessie Elva and Cora?
Daniel Tucker McDonald born 1846 and died Feb 9, 1901 in Milam County, wife Saphronia Cooley born Aug 16, 1853 and died Jan 19, 1915 in Milam County and buried in the Corinth Cemetery. Daniel and Saphronia were my husband's great grandparents.
Am I close?
Cheryl

Re: Cooley / McDonald

Posted: 10 Jan 2003 8:12PM GMT
Surnames: COOLEY / McDONALD / WEBSTER
My name is Jeff Clark. My great great great grandfather was William Grundy Cooley. I read a message you posted on the Milam County, TX message board asking about a William G. Cooley from Mississippi County, Missouri who was a judge. His first wife Ann Eliza was a McDonald. She had a sister named Elizabeth “Betsey” McDonald who married Joseph Webster.

I’m very interested in comparing what information I already have with yours to see if we indeed have a match. Here is a link to my family tree on www.rootsweb.com It should take you right to the information I have on William Grundy Cooley.

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&...

From what I know of William Grundy Cooley, he was born in Tennessee in 1805. By 1840 he was in Wolf Island Township, Scott County, Missouri. In the Census, he’s listed as having 3 white males under 5, one white male between 20 and 30, one white male between 30 and 40 (presumably himself at 35), a white female between 5 and 10, another white female between 10 and 15, and a white female between 30 and 40 (presumably his first wife, Ann Eliza McDonald born May 15, 1806).

In the 1850 census Willam Grundy Cooley’s occupation was listed as farmer, but later, in 1860 he’s listed as a Judge. Also in the 1850 Census, it lists some of his children:
1. William Cooley – 13
2. John L. Cooley – 11
3. A. W. Cooley – 9 (male)
4. L. (Laetilia – she’s listed again with him in 1860 at age 13) Cooley – 3.

Comparing this to the 1840 Census means he still has 3 more children we still don’t know about yet (a younger boy and two older girls).

Also living with them are:
1. Nancy P. Webster – 14
2. E. J. Webster – 11 (female).
3. E.E. Webster – 9 (female).

These are the daughters of Elizabeth “Betsey” McDonald (Ann Eliza’s sister) and Joseph Webster. In Webster Cemetery, Mississippi County, Missouri there are markers that give the birth and death dates of Ann Eliza Cooley (d. March 24, 1851), Betsey McDonald wife of Joseph Webster (b. Nov. 20, 1808 d. May 5, 1843), and Joseph Webster (b. June 15, 1800 d. Aug. 15, 1844).

Also from Mississippi County, Missouri, Deed Record Book: Eliza Jane Webster and Elvira Elizabeth, minors. Estate #1743 Box #55 – Guardian William G. Cooley, minor heirs of Joseph Webster deceased.

Betsey and Joseph also had another older daughter and son: William J. Webster and Mary E. Webster. I have no birthdates for them.

After the death of Ann Eliza, William Grundy Cooley married Julia Ann Caldwell on May 28, 1851 in Wolf Island Township, Missouri. I’m a descendent of their son Byron Bedford Lee Cooley. Julia Ann Caldwell was born May 22, 1836. Their children were:
1. Felix Albert Cooley - 1854
2. Cornelius Grundy Cooley - 1855
3. George Whitcomb Cooley - 1858
4. Julia Cooley - 1860
5. Clara Belle Cooley - 1862
6. Annabelle Cooley - 1863
7. Byron Bedford Lee Cooley - 1864
8. Robert D. Cooley - 1866
9. Clarence Edgar Cooley - 1868
10. Bolen Victor Cooley - 1872
11. Francis “Frank” M. Cooley - 1873

At the time of the 1870 census, William Grundy Cooley and family were living in Obion County, Tennessee. He is listed as a farmer in the 1870 census. They picked up the family and moved to Milam County, Texas in 1876 because, according to my Grandmother’s recollection of family lore, the carpetbaggers had cleaned them out after the Civil War. They stayed in Milam County, Texas for several years until William Grundy Cooley died. The family moved back to Tennessee for a year and then moved back to Texas. William Grundy Cooley died sometime prior to 1880. My best guess would put his death in 1878.

My lineage is: Byron Bedford Lee Cooley to Julia Ruth Cooley to Dorothy Marie Shaw to Cheryl Ann McGinniss to Jeffrey Franklin Clark, 2nd. I have some other information from James C. Boggan, a descendent of Felix Albert Cooley. He gave me photocopies of more Deed Records listing William Grundy Cooley. Currently, we’re both working on uncovering who William Grundy Cooley’s parents are. Distance makes this difficult - James lives in Texas and I live in Washington D.C.

I hope this information was helpful.

Sources:
Ln. 44, Sht. 21, E.D. 106, Vol. 24, Milam County, TX. 1880 Census of the United States.
Cooley, W.G. Age 65, Male, White, Obion County, TN, page 226. 1870 Census of the United States.
1860 Census, Missouri, Mississippi County, Tywappity, page 505, William G. Cooley.
1850 Census, Missouri, Mississippi County, W.G. Cooly, Page 451, 57th District.
1840 Census, Missouri, W.G. Cooley, Scott County, page 066, Wolf ISL.

Re: COOLEY, MIDDLETON

Posted: 17 Jun 2005 2:41AM GMT
I don't know about the person you are inquiring about, but wanted to let you know that Jane Cooley and Egbert Crossett are my great, great grandparents. My grandfather was named James Egbert Echols by his mother, Jane Cooley Crossett's daughter, Cora Lee.

Re: EGBERT CROSSETT

Posted: 17 Jun 2005 7:22AM GMT
An E. H. Crossett is buried in a cemetery (possibly Mount Olive) in Big Spring, Texas. The dates on his tombstone are: born- May 24, 1850; died-July 8, 1895.
His second wife Hattie Amanda Crossett is buried there also.
The dates on her tombstone are: bron-March 21, 1854; died-Feb. 12, 1943.
I believe his first wife was Mary Jane Cooley who died in Milam County, Texas. Her daughter, Cora Lee Crossett married Sterling Price Echols in Milam County and lived in Coahoma, Texas after 1900. Cora Lee and Sterling Price are my great grandparents. My grandfather was their first born son, James Egbert Echols. Not all of this information is supported by documentation, but by information in family papers and making some assumptions about where people were born and married.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions