Search for content in message boards

1951 White Deer, TX Tornado

1951 White Deer, TX Tornado

Posted: 23 Dec 2004 9:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2005 9:51AM GMT
I recently started scanning some old photos and located photos of the 1951 White Deer, TX tornado. Some of the photos are of the damage to the school and the following names are noted on the backs of the photos: Ray Vineyard, Wills or Wells, Richard Barnes, Winfield Powers, C. C. Kelly, Alvin Lewis, Lester, Hester, Everett Williams, Dickens, and W. W. Wells Will be glad to email scanned images of these photos to anyone who is interested.

Re: 1951 White Deer, TX Tornado

Wayne Hughes (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2006 8:55PM GMT
I am very interested in scanned images from the 1951 White Deer tornado. I am helping my mother (Mrs. Lois Hughes) develop her contribution to the history of White Deer. Her section is on the tornado. The images you describe would be very useful in developing this material. First person written accounts or interviews are also very valuable.

Excuse me for not knowing, but are you a White Deer native? I graduated from high school there in 1961.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wayne Hughes

Larry A. Keahey (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2006 9:53PM GMT
Linda, Please send me the photo's that you have of the 51' tornado. Thanks........... Larry

Larry A. Keahey (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2006 9:56PM GMT
Wayne, How's it going? Just ran across this when I was doing a search on the 51' tornado. Been a day or two since the football games on the way to state. What are you doing now? Last I knew you were on television in Amarillo, but haven't heard anything for a long time. Larry

Posted: 7 Sep 2009 2:29PM GMT
I would be very interested in having copies of photos of the White Deer tornado. I lived in White Deer when the tornado went through in 1951. Our home was destroyed.

Posted: 24 May 2011 9:42PM GMT
I would also be interested in photo's. We lived there in '51 and our house was completely destroyed by the tornado. My mother had a set of silverware that was scattered all over the surrounding country side. She and Daddy put ad's in the paper and EVERY piece of silverware was finaly recovered. Pieces were sent from miles away.

I was only 5 years old but remember my family (Dad, Mom, Brother and me) sitting at the table when Mother said we should take a drive and look at the clouds. My older brother wanted to stay there and finish his piece of pie but Mother wouldn't let him. As we were backing out of the driveway the twister touched down and headed straight for us. Daddy drove away on the road and we could see it swirling and picking up debris as it chased us. Years later, Daddy told us he had the car floor boarded and we were only going about 30 MPH.

When we came back after it passed we found our house gone, but the one next door to us didn't even have a broken window.

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 3:50AM GMT
I remember the '51 tornado. We lived east of White Deer and I remember watching it from my bedroom window. My mother finally talked Daddy into going to the Keahey's to their cellar. I still have some pictures of the grade school.

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 4:52AM GMT
At the time of the tornado we lived on a farm just a few miles northeast of White Deer. We later moved to some of the new houses on Horn Street that were built after the tornado and we also went to the Keahey's cellar. Small world.

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 6:06PM GMT
Hello, My Aunt and Uncle lived in White Deer and I remember the side of their home was gone. I remember some of the stories, One I would never forget was a long piece of wood was driven through a tree. Tree was not harm by the tornado . A pitch fork was stuck in a tree. How they found letters and pictures miles away and found some in Pampa, Texas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions