Search for content in message boards

Genealogy

Genealogy

Posted: 1 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Sep 2003 2:16PM GMT
Surnames: Cantwell, Quayle, Taaffee, English, Clapp, Lee
I have extensive information on the Cantwell, English, Taaffee, Clapp, Lee and Quayle families who resided in Kenosha County, Wisconsin from 1843 to the present.
I am happy to share what I have with other genealogists.
Just e-mail me with your questions or send me information on your family, if you connect with these families.
Sue Holt

Re: Genealogy

Posted: 26 Dec 2003 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: ENGLISH, MCKILLIP
Sue, I posted a new message out on Rootsweb about the English families in Kenosha but wanted to make sure you saw it.

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/message/an/localities.nort...

I'd be real interested if I can tie into any of your ENGLISH lines. I'm trying to identify a material line that I believe may be ENGLISH.

Thanks

David

Re: William English

Sue Holt (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2003 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: English
Let me know your English connection. I have William English and Margaret Clancy and their descendants and will check for anything that might help you.
Sue

Posted: 27 Dec 2003 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: ENGLISH, MCKILLIP, DUFFY
Thanks Sue. Let me catch you up and we can see if any of it makes sense to you ..

I'm actually researching another Kenosha family, the McKillip's.

I first found them in Kenosha in the 1850 census where William McKillip and his wife Bridget are listed with their two children. Based on birth years and places of the children, I believe they arrived in Wisconsin between 1846 and 1848. William was a grocer and had a store on what was then the corner of Park and Main.

They are again in the 1860 census in Kenosha with now seven children ... William still working as a grocer.

Until recently, I had lost them until 1880 when I found Bridget and children living in Chicago. Bridget by now is a widow and besides three of her children, she has two boarders, William English and Mary Duffy.

In trying to find the McKillip's in the 1870 census, I went back to Kenosha and found Mary Duffy as a widow with one other person, Thomas McKillip, aged 8. Her occupation is listed as "keeps grocery store". Based on this, I feel there is a connection between Mary Duffy and the McKillip's. My best guess is that she is Bridget's sister and was watching her nephew Thomas while the family moved to Chicago. I did finally find the McKillip's in the 1870 census in Chicago.

Seeing the connection to the McKillip's and Mary Duffy, I thought perhaps William English might also be related. Returning to the 1870 Kenosha census, I found a possible candidate family for William. There is a family in Kenosha's 3rd Ward which has a William English aged 7 in 1870 (he was listed as 17 in 1880). The parents are Thomas and Ann English. Other children are Margaret, John, Mary, James, Alice, Anna and a Joseph Leonard who is listed as an "adopted child". Thomas is 45 years old at the time. Bridget McKillip is 57 and Mary Duffy is 51.

I'm wondering if Bridget, Mary and Thomas were siblings and all settled in Kenosha? After Bridget's husband dies around 1870, she moves her family to Chicago and is joined by Mary Duffy, by now also a widow, and her nephew, William English. I know that Thomas English, Mary Duffy and Bridget McKillip were all born in Ireland. I'm hoping to find someone who might have earlier info on the English line and might be able to help me piece together the early families.

David

Posted: 1 Mar 2004 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: English
I saw your message to David Little and it rang a lot of bells. I know that the WIlliam English, he is talking about is not the William English in the 1870 census that he saw because that William English, age 7, was my grandfather. You mentioned that you had information on the family line from William and Margaret Clancy (my great great grandfather). Thomas and Ann English were my great grandparents. If you have any information on the family it would be very appreciated. I am trying to locate were the family is buried in Kenosha and am having a lot of problems because I was told St. James Cemetery and I can not locate them there.

Sue Holt (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2004 4:28AM GMT
Was your great grandmother Ann Cooty? If so, your Thomas was a brother to my great, great grandmother, Alice English, born 1809, who married James Taaffee. Does that sound familiar? I have information on Alice's family and have visited the graves in St. James many times. I spend the summer in Kenosha and the winter in FL. Where do you live? I will help you all I can.
Sue Holt

Posted: 10 Sep 2004 12:04AM GMT
I saw the name Ann Cooty in your message and am curious about any information you may regarding the Cootey family in Kenosha, Wisconsin. They moved there in the 1840's, however; it appears most of them left and moved to Iowa. Would love to hear any information you may have that you would be willing to share and I will be happy to do the same.

Sue Holt (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2004 5:37PM GMT
Hi,
I have an Ann Cooty who married into the English family. I have extensive information on the English', but nothing more on Ann. There is a large English plot in the local Catholic cemetery, where many of that family are buried.
Let me know how you fit in and if you want me to do anything at the Kenosha Court House. I go there often and will look up anything for you. I will be in Kenosha until the latter part of Oct, at which time I will go to FL for the winter.
Good to hear from another fellow genealogist.
Sue

Patricia Cootey (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2004 7:20PM GMT
Surnames: Cootey/Cooty
Dear Sue:
Thanks for responding to my message. Several members of the Cootey/Cootey family moved to Kenosha in the 1840's. Nicholas and Bridget Cootey and children are listed in the 1850 census records; however, Nicholas died and the family left for Iowa. I am wondering about a Mary Cootey who lived with a Leonard family and a John Cootey who lived with the McCormicks. These folks showed up in the 1850 census.
Any information will be appreciated.

Pat Cootey

Patricia K. Cootey (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2004 9:53PM GMT
I had not heard from you and just wanted to make sure you had received my message. I am wondering if you can determine from the information you have regarding Ann Cooty the time frame and age she was in Kenosha. Would be greatly appreciated.
Hope you have a great trip. I really appreciate your responding to my original message. Genealogy is like working on a jigsaw puzzle and it is so much fun to get to add another piece to it.
Best wishes

Pat Cootey

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions