Search for content in message boards

Lac du Flambeau Births

Lac du Flambeau Births

Posted: 15 Jul 2002 9:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Oct 2002 3:13PM GMT
Hello!
I am wondering if births/deaths/marriages that took place on the Lac du Flambeau Reservation, were required to be recorded at the Vilas Co. Courthouse. I am especially interested in the period prior to 1910. I am in possession of an interesting document that my grandfather used as his Birth Certificate. The letterhead reads: "Priest in Charge of the Chippewa Indian Missions, Diocese of Superior", dated 1919, Reserve, Wis. It attests that he was Baptised at Lac du Flambeau, in April, 1907.

My Grandfather was born on the LDF Reservation in 1907. He and his older sister (1904) and brother (1905) were (purportedly) the first white children born on the Reservation. The story passed on in the (my) family says that a large contingent of Chippewa visited the parents bearing gifts for the baby(s) . The only Native name that I can recall being mentioned was that of Alice (Head-flyer) Carafel, whom helped care for the (above) mentioned children. I believe that Alice Carafel lived to be the oldest member of the Lac du Flambeau people (at the time of her death). About 1974?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Re: Lac du Flambeau Births

Posted: 16 Jul 2002 12:40PM GMT
Edited: 11 Apr 2003 1:28PM GMT
Surnames: ?????
I will go to the Registrar's office today to see if these reservation records are on file. It would be nice to know the name of your grandfather, so I could look for that, too.

Posted: 17 Jul 2002 4:50PM GMT
Craig,
My grandfather was Lawrence J. Graczykowski (a.k.a Graykowski, a.k.a Graczyk). He was born April 7, 1907 at Lac du Flambeau, son of Joseph L. Graczykowski & Anna Kluczykowski. Actually, he would have been born at the Chicago & NorthWestern Section House, at Bolton, (or near a place called Mar's Landing?). It is my understanding that the Mar's Family (as in candy company) purchased a fair amount of land there, [after the sawmills (1907) & railroad pulled out (about 1913]. Lawrence's parents operated the "section house" for the C&NW RR. This was a place for the "section workers" to get a bed and hot meal. They also catered to loggers & miners heading into and out of the northwoods.

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Graykowski
Couldn't find Lawrence, but I did find Rosalia Graykowski on a delayed birth certificate. It said that she was born Aug 20, 1904 in Lac Du Flambeau, Vilas, WI Father: Joseph Graykowski, mother: Anna Kluczykowski. Baptized on Aug 27, 1904; married to Victor J. Pinkowski in Manitowoc, WI June 24, 1924.

The affidavit for the delayed birth certificate had Alice E. Carufel Sr on it, RR 1, Box 164, Lac Du Flambeau, Jan 24, 1956.

As for not finding Lawrence, it's a good possibility that he was born in Iron County, WI, or even up in Ashland (the nearest hospital). My grandfather's first wife died at the Ashland Hospital in 1905 from complications of appendicitus. You might try queries on those two county pages, maybe you'll get lucky.

And I found a couple more Graykowskis in Manitowoc and Milwaukee on the SS Death Index. They might be worth a try, too.

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 4:02PM GMT
Surnames: Graczykowski,Graykowski, Kluczykowski, Kluck, Ciesielski
Craig, Thanks for checking this out at the county. Rose was my Grandfather Lawrences' (1907 - 1979) oldest sister. There was also Harry (1905), Thomas (1909) and Wessley (1910). These folks were all born at Lac du Flambeau. Aside from Rose, they all died at Manitowoc. I have personally searched at Ashland & Iron Counties, as well as Gogebic Co., MI. There are no records pertaining to the aformentioned births. I know that Alice "Head-flyer" Carufel cared for the aforementioned folk's when they were children. I recall my grandfather telling me that he spent quite a bit of time at the Indian village as a child. That was about the only place he (and his siblings) could find other children to play with. Again, Thank you.

Posted: 18 Apr 2004 7:06PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2004 7:12PM GMT
This is long after you posted your original query. Have you ever contacted Greg Guthrie in LDF? He has much info regarding LDF; his father Ben wrote a book about the history of LDF.

Posted: 18 Apr 2004 7:06PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2004 7:12PM GMT
This is long after you posted your original query. Have you ever contacted Greg Guthrie in LDF? He has much info regarding LDF; his father Ben wrote a book about the history of LDF.

Laura L Poupart (View posts)
Posted: 13 Aug 2004 8:21PM GMT
My great grandmother Kate Poupart (Bad River) married Edward Poupart (Lac Du Flambeau). My records say Kate's parents were Joseph Vasseur and Margaret Cadotte. My records are shown here http://www.geocities.com/poupart71/BadRiver.html
Im trying to figure more out about Edward Poupart

Posted: 29 Sep 2004 3:13AM GMT
I've only come across a small amount of info for Ed . My files just mention he was the postmaster and born abt 1870. Says Kate's father was born in Canada and her mom was born in Michigan and Kate had a brother named Joseph.

Posted: 17 Jul 2007 4:07PM GMT
I would be interested in knowing the name of the book. I would like to find a copy of it. My father and his family are all from LDF. Charles Albert Poupart aka Sonny Poupart
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions