Search for content in message boards

DANCER of Mississippi

Sarah Dancer

Posted: 26 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jan 2002 5:07PM GMT
Surnames: Dancer, Bow, Baum, Dantzler
I have information from a set of books AMITE COUNTY 1699-1865 by Casey & Otkin,Bond 137, Book F, Wilkinson Co, MS. They give the name of Sarah Dancer's spouse as W. E. Bow. I can see how Bow and Baum could be mixed up easily. If you have information on descendants then you must have the correct name.

I believe the father of Sarah was Ulrich Dancer and I have not been able to find any proof of the parentage of Ulrich. He was born in SC in 1791. I cannot fit him into the Dancer families I know about. It is possible he could have been one of the Swiss Dantzlers. One of the earliest was Hans Ulrich Dantzler of Orangeburg, SC.

Most of the early Orangeburg records are missing and there has been a concentrated effort to gather information from many sources to help with family research. It is still very hard to prove ancestry in Orangeburg County.

Do you know if Sarah was a sister of John Dancer who married Catherine Smith 14 June 1838 in Wilkinson Co.? I believe her to be.

I would love to share Dancer information with you. Maybe we can fill some gaps. I'm so glad you wrote your Dancer query. Bertie Dancer

DANCER of Mississippi

Floreda Varick (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Sarah DANCER married William E. L. BAUM in Wilkinson County
Mississippi July 17, 1836. I have information on her descendants but need to know about her ancestors.
Posted: 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 9:27PM GMT
Hi, Bertie, So glad to meet a Dancer researcher. I think John may be Sarah's brother - they both appear in the 1850 census of Wilkinson County on page 310b - she in hh 692/696 and he in 695/699. Also, at least one of Sarah's grandchildren is named Ulrich so that appears to be another bit of proof. Please contact me at tallygators@earthlink.net. Floreda

Ulrich Dancer

Posted: 28 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2002 5:07PM GMT
Surnames: Dantzler, Dancer, Hunter, Beard
When I said that Ulrich may have been from the Dantzlers of Orangeburg, SC I forgot something which may mean something or may not.

There was another Ulrich Dancer who died in Davidson Co, TN in 1829. Administrator of his estate [a horse and saddle] was Manuel Hunter, son of Jacob Hunter and Polly Dancer, which may put Ulrich b 1791 in the Henry Dancer family. We just have to figure out how. Polly [Mary] Dancer Hunter was a sister of Henry Dancer and Jonas Dancer of SC and Tennessee. Ulrich was not mentioned as a nephew of Jonas Dancer in the 1802 Deeds of Gift in Smith County, TN.

We know that Ulrich b 1791 served in the War of 1812 because he filed for bounty land in 1862. Ulrich, who d in 1829, may have been another child of Ulrich b 1791???? This is all guess work. When Ulrich applied for the bounty warrant he said he lived in St. Helena Parish, LA. He is not in the census there and, according to a historian of the parish, was not found in the court house records of that parish. The man I spoke with had written a book on the records of St. Helena and he checked all his records before calling me back. So......if he did live in the Parish he must have lived in another household and was not listed under his own name.

Ulrich Beard lived near the Dancers in SC and I believe a sister may have married John Dancer of SC. Somehow John Dancer became an heir in the estate of Christopher Beard of Pointe Coupe Parish, LA. Now that location is just across the river from where Ulrich Dancer lived in Mississippi. Interesting!

Bertie Dancer bdancer@prodigy.net

Bounty Land Warrant

Posted: 4 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2004 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: DANCER
Did Ulrich recieve his Bounty Land Warrant and do you know where it was located? We might be able to trace owenership and taxes of that land and find something of interest.

Is this part of the Dancer line that was near Beaumont in the 1960's

The National Archive ought to have something on his application and his military service that just might reveal something but knowing Bertie, I'm about two years behind her and she already checked it out.

Ron McCandless

Re: DANCER of Mississippi

Posted: 23 Dec 2001 5:01PM GMT
this is rich danser in pa,in reply to the request of dancer info did you find out where your line came from,mime is traced back to nj,1722.i am looking for the first boat that brought the dancer line here,when, from where,if i can help let me know.ok;rich danser

Re: Ulrich Dancer

Posted: 23 Dec 2001 5:07PM GMT
this is rich danser in pa, this is the first time i heard the name spelled that way [dantzler]where did this name come from, any info will be helpful ok rich danser,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic