Search for content in message boards

Futrell from NC to Kentucky

Futrell from NC to Kentucky

Posted: 4 Jul 2002 1:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Sep 2005 10:05AM GMT
Trying to help a friend find (his last name is Futrell) something about his family background. All he knows is his relatives at one point moved from NC to Kentucky. He also relayed a story about his relatives who during the Civil War let a soldier hide in their barn. Then they became scared he might be a deserter and wound up killing him. Two of the males from his family were caught and subsequently hung. Does this ring a bell with anyone on this message board?
Thank you

Re: Futrell from NC to Kentucky

Posted: 7 Apr 2003 7:56PM GMT
According to the Futrell Family in America, William Shadrack Futrell, Nathan Futrell, and John Futrell were the first parties of North Carolina to make a permanent settlement in Trigg County Kentucky. I however take this with a grain of salt (or rather they do not give the whole picture). Actually in the 1810 census for Christian County, Kentucky (Trigg County was formed from Christian and Caldwell Counties), the following persons were listed Sarah Futral, Nathan Futral, Daniel Futral, and Shadrack Futral all of whom were from North Carolina. My particular ancestress was Charity Futrell who was married to Francis M Frizzell. Charity Futrell's father was Winborne Futrell, his father was Daniel Futrell, Daniel Futrell's father was Sanders Futrell and it is commonly believed his father was Thomas Futrell of Virginia.
I haven't really gotten into how William Shadrack, Nathan and John Futrell were related to Daniel Futrell yet but they must have all come from North Carolina about the same time.

At this time that is about all of the information that I have on the Futrell's but The book Futrell's in America is on a Family Tree Maker CD ROM Southern Biographies and Geneaolgies, 1500s-1940s.

Claudia Gattshall

Martha FUTRAL / FUTRELL -- b. 1825 NC

Lynda Conner (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2003 8:06PM GMT
Surnames: Marsh
I'm looking for the parents and family of my paternal gg grandmother, Martha Futral/Futrall/Futrell. I'm unsure of the surname spelling. Martha was born abt. 1825 in NC, county unknown. She married James Gray Marsh in Sept 1843 and died 1857, probably in NC. James was born in Chatham Co., NC, and per the 1850 census, they were living there with their children.

James' father, Gray Barbee Marsh, who died in 1835 in Walker Co., GA, was married to Julia Brooks of Chatham Co., NC. I have a copy of a letter written by a grandson(deceased) of a Thomas A. Futral that Julia married his grandfather, Thomas A. Futral Sr. Julia and Thomas may have lived in Walker County, GA early on but may have later moved to Randolph County, NC. James went to live with his grandfather, William H. Marsh in Chatham County after his mother remarried.

Supposedly Julia and Thomas Futral had the following children: Mary, Julia, Addie, Thomas A. Futral Jr, and possibly a daughter named Martha.....unknown dates of birth. Interestingly enough, James Gray later married a Martha Futral.

Sometime prior to the 1880 Census, James Marsh and his children had moved to Hardeman County, TN. Living nearby was a young family, Thomas Futrall, born 1841, in NC, and his wife Emma, born 1847 in NC. Children were Emma, John, Thomas, Lula and Alma. Thomas and his family moved from Hardeman County to Marianna, Arkansas by 1891. Thomas' son, John, later became the President of the University of Arkansas.

I would definitely appreciate any information to help me determine which Futral/Futrell family these folks came from. Thanks for any replies.

Posted: 10 Jun 2003 3:07PM GMT
To Lynda Conner
Richard's mother's maiden name is Futrell. Her family, supposedly came from Kentucky and settled at Hickory Valley in the early settlement days of Hardeman Co. Don't have my Futrell-Newton notes in front of me, but get back in touch if these Futrells appear to be your family. Helen Futrell Higgins' father was Walter Griggs Futrell. Here's what I have:
Isaac and Fannie Futrell, migrated to the Hickory Valley - Van Buren area in Hardeman County in the early 1800s. Their first son, Wiley Futrell, was born in 1849 and married Laura H. Griggs, who together had seven children, one of whom was Walter Griggs Futrell, born in 1873. Walter Griggs married Mattie Mae Newton in 1902. Mattie also stemmed from an old Hardeman County family who moved from Harrisburg, Kentucky to Saulsbury Tennessee before the Civil War. Her parents were Jeff S. Newton and Madora Ann Finger Newton.
If you have anything else let me know.

Lynda Conner (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2003 12:25PM GMT
Surnames: Futrell, Futrall, Marsh
Hi Linda,

Thanks so much for your reply. IT REALLY IS A SMALL WORLD....neighbor!

I'm sure there is a connection. Several of the NC Futrals/Futrells migrated to Western KY and West Tennessee in the early 1800's. Richard and I probably share a great grandfather....just not sure who yet. I believe Martha's family to be from one of the Northampton NC Futrells. She married James Gray Marsh of Chatham County, NC and Chatham is just a couple of counties west of Northhampton.

Please share the rest of your Futrell info and maybe I'll find some missing pieces to help me in my search. I'll let you know if I stumble across anything for Richard. BTW...what surnames/localities are you researching on your side? You and I may also be relatives...hehehe. I was truly surprised when I recently found that my next door neighbor and I share great grandparents...her 3rd and my 4th.

Best,
Lynda

Re: Caroline FUTRELL -- Kentucky

Posted: 5 Jan 2005 8:27PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jan 2005 6:46PM GMT
Hi lynda

My great great great grandmother was caroline futrell hunt. She married a william hunt and had a daughter named luella hunt harvell, my great grandmother mary elizabeth harvell was born in 1904 in kevil kentucky, my grandmother was born in 1933 in kevil as well, her name is patricia. We are all around dallas texas. If you have any info please let me know.

wendi

Thomas & Sarah FUTRELL

Fran Meyer (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2005 5:31AM GMT
Yes, the Futrell's were one of the first families in Trigg Co.,
also in Stewart Co. TN. There are several Shadrack's Futrell,
one did marry Charity, which I do have a picture of both.
I am looking for the parents of Sarah Futrell, who was married
to Thomas Futrell. I believe her father was John Bittle and
her mother was a Elizabeth.

Would like to hear from you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions