Search for content in message boards

Web Page Generation for the iPad

Web Page Generation for the iPad

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 8:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone tell me what I can do to format web pages (using Second Site 3) for the best viewing with an iPad?

Re: Web Page Generation for the iPad

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 9:48PM GMT
I believe the iPad uses a version of Safari and pages generated by Second Site 3 should be fully compatible with it.

In terms of layout and/or Theme choices, here are a couple suggestions:

- Do not use a framed site. There's not enough width on mobile devices.

- Use one of the simpler Themes, one that doesn't include a lot of graphics. In particular, don't use graphic buttons, use the text and CSS buttons. They use minimal space.

You can make CSS changes to take advantage of the look of iPad (iPhone) applications, but you'll have to consult an iPad design site for that level of detail.

John

Posted: 9 Sep 2010 10:38PM GMT
Thank you. I'm not using frames, but SS links to people does not always place that person on top of the target page as it does with IE8 on a PC.

Posted: 10 Sep 2010 1:39AM GMT
SS always links to a specific target (person page entry), and both IE8 on your PC and Safari on your iPad get the same HTML. If the link to a specific part of the page doesn't work on an iPad, then it's a browser issue, and unfortunately, there's not much I can do about it. You could change to using one person per page. You might also try using less people per page than you are using now: it might be the length of the page that is giving Safari trouble. So, for example, if you have 30 people per page now, try 10 and see if that helps.

Posted: 10 Sep 2010 1:43AM GMT
Thanks, I'll try fewer people per page. I thought of that but hadn't gotten around to trying it.
Bob Fleck
per page

Find a board about a specific topic