Search for content in message boards

DNA Admin is Deleting Comments AGAIN

DNA Admin is Deleting Comments AGAIN

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 4:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Feb 2013 4:17PM GMT
This DNA thread had 174 posts on it the other day. It is now down to 153.

It appears that the DNA admin is back to her old ways and meddling in active and important discussions that DO NOT require her censorship.

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.dnaresearch.generalresearc...

My comments on the deletions were immediately removed from the thread.

Re: DNA Admin is Deleting Comments

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 4:35PM GMT
You posted in response to the "Private Trees and DNA Contacts" thread:

"I would swear that there were 174 comments on this thread yesterday, so it appears that the admin is back to her old tricks" (quoted in total) and

"I would swear that there were 174 comments in this thread the other day" (quoted in total).

When a post is completely off-topic, the post will be removed. That is not meddling. Those two posts are not part of "active and important discussions" and were only made to incite trouble, as was your post on this board. No posts other that your completely off-topic ones were removed and your recollection of how many posts were in the thread is incorrect.

Re: DNA Admin is Deleting Comments AGAIN

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 6:35PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2013 8:21PM GMT
Oh, am I mistaken? There is that BIG gap in the thread from Dec 12 to Dec 23 .... oh right, that's when you felt the overwhelming need to micro-manage the discussions and deleted and moved posts at random. And then you had the nerve to blame members -

"The only posts that were deleted from the DNA/General board were deleted by staff or me because the post violated Community Guidelines by either promoting a commercial company or including a commercial URL, or because the post was off topic for any board.

Some posts were moved because they were off topic for the general board, such as those that mentioned problems with Ancestry DNA technical issues that could be addressed by staff."

There are no postings showing on this very active thread from Dec 26 to Jan 25.

That's strange, because I glanced at it the other day thinking that there must be a lot of interest to generate 174 posts.

Well, if I am wrong I apologize. Which is WAY more than you have ever done.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 2:38PM GMT
I'll be the first to say that the Autosomal DNA forum's moderator's style leaves a lot to be desired. I've told her as much numerous times.

That said, you really can't expect to post something about her and have her leave it available for public viewing. Her skin isn't think enough to handle that.

I can't recall if there were posts made during the timeframe you're referring to but I take a look at the forums pretty much daily and unless there was some major activity Saturday night that I missed the post count on that thread stayed in the 150 range.

Dennis

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 2:59PM GMT
Thanks Dennis. I was hoping that someone from the thread would confirm or deny that posts were missing, but my comment was deleted within minutes.

If I am wrong about the deletions, again, I apologize to the DNA admin. Since we haven't heard too many complaints lately, I trust things are going better over there.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 5:50PM GMT
There were some posts deleted from that thread earlier, I believe, but nothing recently.

As for the moderator, she deletes whole topics simply because the originator doesn't like the comments made on the topic. That astounds me. A huge thread with valuable and interesting information was deleted at the request of the original poster after a hissy fit. People have the option of withdrawing from a topic, or even deleting their own comments, but to request the moderator delete ALL other comments by removing a whole thread simply because they don't agree with those comments is unbelievable. and this administrator did just that.

Besides a thin skin, it appears that the moderator is not particularly knowledgeable about dna research and recent developments.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 6:18PM GMT
People do notice, even if we do not comment. Obviously, we are concerned we will also be deleted so you won't get as many comments. It doesn't mean we don't see the obvious.

Of all boards, that is not the one that should be deleting people. It does not look right. Deleting has simply caused the discussion to expand to other places such as the facebook page. Was that the intent...to reach widen the audience?

If asking for freedom to discuss topics is wrong than I suppose I shall also be deleted but I do ask this. Let people speak as much as possible. Every new person that gets swept up in a deletion simply broadens the topic. For me, it has never been about the moderator, but about what exactly is the problem with individual posts. I have screenshots of these and there was no swearing, no criticism of the moderator, etc. Perhaps the view of what DNA involves has been defined in too narrow of terms?

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:17PM GMT
"Besides a thin skin, it appears that the moderator is not particularly knowledgeable about dna research and recent developments."

Therein lies the rub.

I've tried to convince the moderator to limit her intervention to quelling arguments (not that I've seen any) and to assume until proven otherwise that when someone posts to the Autosomal board that that is where they intended to post. I also suggested that if she's unable to do that that she step aside and let someone with a less itchy trigger finger take over the moderation. She told me straight up that she wouldn't feel right about abandoning a board that she requested be created. I'm left with the impression that she feels like she's created her own little fifedom and we're all her subjects who're too stupid to know where we're posting.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 7:23PM GMT
"Like". That pretty much says it.

Posted: 11 Feb 2013 8:07PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2013 8:48PM GMT
"I'm left with the impression that she feels like she's created her own little fifedom..."

You got that right. There are many little wanna-be kings and queens on these boards whose dictatorial powers usually go unchecked. Makes one long for the good old days when despotic rulers were summarily beheaded.
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic