Search for content in message boards

Carters in NE Arkansas, SE Missouri 1870-1900

Carters in NE Arkansas, SE Missouri 1870-1900

Posted: 21 Mar 2000 10:37PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2001 2:48AM GMT
I am searching for the parents of several Carter children. Information is based on 1910 Stoddard Co, MO census. The parents were both listed as having been born in IL. At least four children were born to these unknown parents: Callie Carter b. abt 1868 in IL, married name was Butler and had one daughter living in 1910 by the name of Laura and had lost 7 other children. Nancy Jane Carter b. abt 1871. Married William Henry Walker abt. 1887 in Clay Co. AR.(they had three children, Mary Jane, GRover Cleveland and Nettie Rose WAlker) and second marriage to Philip Belle in 1897 in Clay Co. AR. She died in childbirth abt 1898. John W. Carter b. abt 1872 in MO, married Nora ? and had children George R., Edna, Paul and Kenneth Carter. Living in Stoddard Co and died there abt 1954. Frank Carter b. abt 1875 in MO, never married and died in Stoddard Co. in 1948. Would appreciate any leads. Please contact me directly at kwest@gfn.org

J.W. Carter

barbara (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2000 1:28PM GMT
Hey karen, I have a joseph w. Carter born 18 dec 1871 in Russellville, Logan Co. KY died 05 feb 1956 possible?

J.W. Carter

Posted: 4 Jul 2000 6:39PM GMT
It is an outside possibility, but I think that my Carter is John W. Carter. Where did Joseph W. Carter die? The Carters I am looking for all died in northeast arkansas and southeat Missouri. Let me know...and thanks for your response!

j.w. carter

barbara (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2000 2:21PM GMT
I have a joseph w. carter born 18 dec 1871 died 05 feb 1956 oak grove,AR

J.W.Carter

Essie Hooker Granger (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2000 4:12PM GMT
Hi was Joeseph W. Carter born in Mississippi, and a black male?

John W. Carter

Posted: 9 May 2001 11:12AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 5:28AM GMT
I amy have info that can help. My line is in NE Ar. I have other Carter info that is not my line. Researching John Wm Carter b ca1860-1870 in Tn. Married ?Emma _____. Issues Joe, Josie, Ola, Curtis, Max. Second marr to Mrs Emma Weaver. Moved from Tn to Randolph Co Ar abt 1906. Is in the 1910 Randolph Co census. All but Max died in flu epidemic. Can you help or like to compare notes? Thank you very much, Debra McAfee Rickman

Carter in NE Arkansas

Posted: 15 May 2001 5:06AM GMT
Yes I would like to compare notes. My John W. Carter is the son of the Carters that I am looking for. There is some evidence that the parents lived in Illinois about 1870 and then moved to Arkansas. The children's names are "Callie", John, Frank and Nancy J.(Jane?). The children were found living in Clay County in the 1900 census. Nancy Carter married William Henry Walker in the late 1880's. He died and she remarried a Phillip Bell around 1897, then she died giving birth in 1898.
Specifically, they were found in the Piggott /St. Francis area..........Oh how I wish there was an 1890 census!
Callie Carter married a man named Butler, Frank and John moved to Stoddard County, Missouri where John married and had a family. I would love to hear from you about the other Carter information that you have and also about the flu epedemic.......perhaps that was widespread and killed many people.
Thanks for responding!

John W. Carter

Posted: 15 May 2001 8:11PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 5:28AM GMT
Hello Karen,
I've recently talked to Jane Carter dtr of Max. I haven't transcribed the notes yet but I did look thru them this evening. Jane said all the children were not killed in the flu epidemic and gave me their history. She was told as a child that John was a river boat captain and had brothers Charlie and Jim Bob. My John William Carter was born in Tn and went directly to Arkansas where he is in the 1910 census. He was married to Emma ?Parker in Tn prior to Emma Weaver in Ar. In about 1965, when Max died, his brother, Joe S. took his grandfathers name of John William Carter. He had a dtr Eleanor and they lived in Gainsboro, Ill. There are several others in this line in Gainsboro, Ill. Jane also said there were related Carters in Lepanto and Bay Arkansas around Poinsett Co. These areas and yours are near to one another.
In the 1890 Census Substitute of Randolph Co, The following Carters are listed: C.H.,Mrs. E.J., Elizabeth,, Frank, Henry, J.C., J.H., J.M., Jack, James W., Leny, R.J., Robt, W.P., W.T.
Email me at rickman@cyberback.com and I'll get your snail mail address and mail you the Carter records hard copy or may scan and email them. Debra McAfee Rickman

Re: Carter in NE Arkansas

Posted: 5 May 2002 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: carter
i have a John W. Carter in y family also. They are around the clay co. area. wife was sallie and kids were william;joe p;nancy;elizabeth robert; and newton. do any of these sound familiar to you? thanks donna carter

Re: J.W. Carter

Posted: 17 May 2002 1:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there. i saw your posting and decided to write. I have a John W. Carter married to Sallie O'Neal. They are on the butler co. mo. 1910 census. ash hill twp. they have 3 children living with them at that time....Robert....Thomas.. and Elizabeth. Can you help? this is as far as i have been able to go. thanks for any help...donna carter
per page

Find a board about a specific topic