Search for content in message boards

Major privacy glitch names living people

Major privacy glitch names living people

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 8:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
I discovered the member connect tab in the profile actually cites the full names of living people who are filtered as private in the trees or on the profile overview tab. Member connect has flooded my home page with hints to people that are named in a private tree that I've set to not show activity from and when I went to the tree and on a profile viewed the member connections listed there I found a tree that listed their living children by name but when viewed in the overview tab or as tree have been set to private. Yet another example of why not to have complete faith in technology let alone Ancestry's constantly changing features or new programs!

Re: Major privacy glitch names living people

Posted: 16 Feb 2013 8:33PM GMT
Edited: 16 Feb 2013 8:35PM GMT
There is already a discussion about this on one of the DNA boards, although this may be the more appropriate board.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 5:28AM GMT
This glitch has been there for at least two months that I am aware of. Under my deceased mother's profile there is a member connect tree that is showing my personal information. What is odd, is that it even shows that I am living. I was under the impression that if a person was living it should show as private.

I have called customer service but they swear I am not seeing what I am seeing. Their usual non answer. I guess in this case I am lucky that most of the information on their tree is in error.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 7:24AM GMT
I got the same reply from customer service/tech. support myself. Either the tree deleted the entries in question or
Ancestry did because the names are gone now. Regardless it is a serious flaw in the feature that needs to be addressed but Ancestry will only act if enough people complain about it. I've been waiting for almost a year for the problem with invitees to trees not being able to see them and getting various error messages instead.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 7:33AM GMT
Screenshots required.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 9:09AM GMT
As you requested Chris though I did redact the personal info. Ancestry insisted they couldn't see the problem.
Attachments:

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 1:58PM GMT
Edited: 17 Feb 2013 2:14PM GMT
There are two issues that I have seen. One that is being discussed on the DNA board by several posters, is that there has been different responses by ancestry employees when it has been reported that someone who was living was being shown. The thread Private Trees and DNA Contacts is very long but the part about the living is near the very end.

http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?m=549.11.3.2.2.1.2.2&...

The person that I mentioned was shown in someone else's tree. He is not an ancestry member. He is very much alive and I saw him a couple weeks ago and yet he is shown as deceased in someone's tree. Two people have left comments on the tree owners page but the tree owner has not removed this or adjusted it. When I called I was told that by the tech that he did not have the power to fix it but that it would be forwarded on.

However, another person stated that they had been listed as deceased and they had called and were told that ancestry would -not- change this. This poster and another received responses indicating that ancestry will not fix this and only the tree owner can fix it. If and I say if, this is true and not a miscommunication this would appear to be a change in policy or something, concerning protecting the living. It is better to read what the other posters' actually wrote than just my recap.

The other issue is that I was shown a member name for a living person. The tree showed this accurately as private and I could not see the person's name in the tree. However, the member connect displayed the person's name and not just as private. This was not displayed as the use of a public document with the person's name but was listed as a tree. I have reported both of these to ancestry. One has probably been resolved for me. I am waiting for the other issue.

However, the most important issue is whether or not there has been a change in policy as other message board posters' comment's seem to suggest from the responses they received by ancestry employees.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 9:35PM GMT
I just received a voicemail from ancestry concerning the living person that is still being shown as deceased and they did indicate that the person needs to call for himself.

Mixed feelings on this. I am very appreciative that ancestry made the effort to call me to try and resolve the issue. I think that is quite remarkable and wish I had gotten the call in time to talk with the employee. I will try to follow up on Monday.

I am also somewhat taken aback by what appears to be confirmation of one of the poster's remarks on the thread I mentioned above.

It seems likely that there is some change in their response toward privacy issues covered by their policy on the matter. I want to wait to say more until I call them back and see if what they suggest works for us and I hope the problem is resolved. Either way, it does appear the process for addressing this is different.

If there is a change in policy or the implementation of the policy it would be best if ancestry spoke to that so that they could address it the way they prefer. I realize they do often let us figure this out for ourselves but it is always preferable for them to present their perspective.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 9:42PM GMT
I see this most often for spouse names - on the member connect summary, the name of the spouse will be "private" or "living" (at the bottom of the summary), but if there is a marriage event, it will be given in full, presumably just the way it is shown on the profile (e.g., "marriage to John James Smith" or "marriage to Susan Margaret Jones"). The name will be underscored as a link, although if clicked it will lead to a blocked profile that says "living" or "private." I have not seen children's names listed in full, as shown in the examples here.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 1:53AM GMT
scwbcm - I'm guessing in this instance the person who posted this living individual manipulated the data so as to bypass the living filters. It has long been Ancestry's unspoken/unwritten/untraceable policy to forcefully modify someone's tree ONLY when Ancestry's own living filters have somehow failed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions