Search for content in message boards

John F McDANIEL b 1765

John F McDANIEL b 1765

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 4:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDaniel
All info says John F McDaniel was b. Randolph Co, NC. But Randolph Co wasn't created until 1777. The area that later became Randolph Co was in Rowan Co in 1765. Several people say his father was Abraham McDaniel who fought in the Rev. War. The only source I can find for this is a history of Poinsett Co, Ark, - but it was written about 130 years after his birth (hardly a primary source). And I can't find any records for an Abraham McDaniel as a Rev War veteran. Is there any evidence about John's father?

Re: John F McDANIEL b 1765

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 5:07PM GMT
Location is more complicated than that. Randolph County was created out of Old Guilford County in 1779, not 1777. And the western 2/3 of Old Guilford (and therefore the western 2/3 of Randolph) came from Old Rowan County, while the eastern 1/3 came from Old Orange County. Depending on location within the territory of what became Randolph, a birth in 1765 would have occurred under the jurisdiction of either Rowan or Orange.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 5:20PM GMT
Edited: 27 Nov 2012 5:21PM GMT
There is an interactive historical map at http://historical-county.newberry.org/website/North_Carolina... which shows that ALL of the area that became Randolph County was within Rowan County in 1765
- Debbie Shields ds@debbieshields.com

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 5:29PM GMT
It's inaccurate. There are better maps.

See the links from this page:

http://www.ncgenweb.us/county-list/

I live in and research in these areas. I know them well.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 6:29PM GMT
Sorry, but I've looked around Genweb and don't find a map that answers my question. Can you be more specific?
Debbie Shields
ds@debbieshields.com

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 7:21PM GMT
Look for the links about county formation in the first two paragraphs, above the table of counties. They include a link to a downloadable PDF of maps during different periods. Look for the hyperlink "this excerpt overview."

The map I consult the most about Old Guilford, which shows the old line between Old Rowan and Old Orange, is not online. But roughly the western 2/3 of Old Guilford came from Old Rowan, and the eastern 1/3 came from Old Orange. Randolph was created out of the bottom 1/3 of Old Guilford in 1779, and Rockingham was created out of the top 1/3 in 1785.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 7:45PM GMT
Katherine -
thanks, that helps a lot. If my McDaniels were the ones in the Hillsboro district of Randolph Co in 1800, and if the Hillsboro district was in the eastern 1/3 of Randolph Co, and if the eastern 1/3 of Randolph Co came from Old Orange,then it looks like John F McDaniel was born in Orange Co. That's a lot of "if"s, but better than I had before. The only thing I know for sure is that he wasn't born in Randolph Co, because it didn't exist in 1765.
Debbie

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 8:03PM GMT
Surnames: McDaniel
Randolph Co NC was formed in 1779 from Guilford Co NC.
There is a picture of picture of John R. McDaniel and his family on Ancestry.com. Send me your own E Mail address and I will forward the info on Anc.com to you.
ginnykeefer@cox.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions