Search for content in message boards

Census Roll number

Census Roll number

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 12:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
The Roll number has been removed from at least some of the 1860, 1870 census entries. The "Source Citation" listed under the extracted entry is no longer there. Under "Source Information" the NARA microfilm publication number is listed but that alone is not proper source identification. Proper documentation requires a roll number be indicated as well.
e.g. Uriah Spragg in 1860 Burlington county New Jersey
e.g. Uriah Spragg in 1870 Cumberland county New Jersey

ATTN: STAFF Re: Census Roll number

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 12:40AM GMT
Edited: 21 Feb 2013 12:44AM GMT
Screenshot attached:
Attachments:

Re: Census Roll number

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 2:17PM GMT
I'm not sure why it's missing, but I have let the people in our content group know. I agree, those are needed.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 7:27PM GMT
1900, as well, appears to be impacted. Screenshot attached.
Attachments:

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 7:37PM GMT
It's 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1920. But we found the fix and it should be rolled out today is my understanding.

BTW, if you really need the info, go to the image and look at the source panel. It's on there.

But we will get it back on the record page, hopefully within the next day or two.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 7:56PM GMT
Thanks, Anne.

Will the fix repair the missing information in existing trees or only for records saved and attached going forward?

Thanks.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 8:03PM GMT
You will need to reattach the ones that were attached today or last night.

It appears that 1860, 1870 and 1880 have been fixed.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 9:02PM GMT
Let me try again - the screenshot example I attached is for a person whose profile has been "complete" for many months, not something I attached this week or even this year.

The 1870 census for that person is still showing an incomplete source citation.

So - it appears we've all got lots of fixes to make, if repair is not complete.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 9:54PM GMT
I do not know why that particular 1870 census citation is incomplete. And it is difficult to assess without knowing when it was attached.

As long as you are attached to record, and you are, you should be able to find the citation when you need it.

I always take the basic information in the citations and reformat them in my tree in what I hope is close to a Evidence Explained format.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 10:20PM GMT
Anne,

That's just great for going forward, but going back and fixing hundreds of records is not going to be an easy task.

And, I just removed that record and re-saved it, to the same person, and it is still not saving complete.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic