Search for content in message boards

Aaron Talent Killed By Charles Harris At Elvins Dance (1917)

Aaron Talent Killed By Charles Harris At Elvins Dance (1917)

Posted: 26 Oct 2002 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Talent, Harris, Womack, Goldin, Fortner, Wright

LEAD BELT NEWS, Flat River, St. Francois Co. MO, Feb. 16, 1917

ONE MAN KILLED, FOUR SHOT AT ELVINS DANCE

Aaron Talent was killed, Henry Harris was shot in the abdomen, and is in critical condition at the Bonne Terre Hospital, Wm. Womack was shot in the leg and Bill Goldin was shot in the arm at a pie social and dance at the home of Charles Fortner, at Elvins, last Saturday night.

According to testimony at the inquest, conducted by Prosecuting Attorney Mathews and Coroner Prather, Talent was killed by Charles Harris, son of James Harris, who furnished the music for the dance. John Wright, one of the witnesses, testified that Charles Harris fired the four shots at close range, which took effect in Talent's body. According to physicians who examined the body, any one of the shots would have caused death. One shot lodged in the breast and three in the head.

Just what started the row which resulted in the tragedy is still largely a matter of conjecture. The witnesses who testified at the inquest did so reluctantly. None seemed to know what started the trouble, neither did they know who fired the shots which wounded the other three men.

It was apparently a free-for-all fight, and was participated in by several who were present. Talent was armed with a revolver and he did considerable shooting, emptying his gun at least once. His wife had hold of him at the time he was shot. He died in her arms. The jury's verdict was that deceased came to his death from gunshot wounds at the hands of Charles Harris. No arrests have yet been made, or at least had not up until the time we went to press.

The lax enforcement of the local option law is responsible for much of the lawlessness which has occurred at Elvins recently. Citizens of that town at a meeting of the Civic League, held in Flat River Wednesday, stated that they had protested in vain to the authorities. They also stated they had cited specific instances of violation of the law, but so far no action had been taken to put a stop to this deplorable condition. They also stated that on Saturday morning they had informed the authorities of shipments of whiskey, which they had learned were due to arrive, and asked that a raid be made. No action was taken.

Re: Aaron Talent Killed By Charles Harris At Elvins Dance (1917)

Alice Kelly (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2002 4:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harris
Is this the same James Harris involved in the Harris - Dooley feud?

Posted: 29 Mar 2003 8:08AM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Milligan, Kopitski, Murphy,
I don't know that this is the same James or not. I will contact family members and see if anyone knows of this incident. I don't know if James Moses Harris (my husband's great-grandfather) had a son named Charles. He had a younger brother aka Charlie who was 17 at the time of the feud. These could be cousins, nephews or sons. It does mention a Wright as a witness, and one of Jame's granddaughters married a Wright. I'll post after I check with several relatives, it might take a few weeks to contact them all. James got into more than one fight in his days, as well did his brothers. Sounds like the right sort of trouble they'd get into, doesn't it! I have more on James and his family of the Dooley/Harris fued if you are interested.
Terry Harris

Posted: 14 Feb 2006 5:01PM GMT
I am searching for info on the Tallent/Talent family. I beleive the brother of Aaron was Charley, would like to find the parents any news would be appreciated. Thanks don

Posted: 19 Mar 2007 3:09AM GMT
I would also like to know which Tallent family this Aaron belonged to. Does anyone know if his parents were William D. Tallent and Sallie Cayenter?

Posted: 28 Mar 2007 11:26PM GMT
Surnames: Talent Wilson
Using information from the death certificate ( posted on the MO Death Certificate site) his whole name was William A Talent and his parents were William Talent and Belle Wilson both born in Dent County Mo.

Posted: 29 Mar 2007 2:22AM GMT
Sorry, I ask the wrong question, I have seen his death certificate. I really need to know who his Tallent grandparents were, the parents of his father, William. Thanks so much for the reply, I always appreciate those who offer their help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions