Search for content in message boards

John Wilkerson Person Co NC

John Wilkerson Person Co NC

Donna (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2004 4:27PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: Wilkerson Dixon
I descend from Jacob Dixon and Agnes Pettypoole. I had wanted to find the maiden name of Margaret, wife of Jacob Dixon born 1773. Since they usually married neighbors I deceided to look at estate sales, land, court and wills of any neighbors. She is a Wilkerson, daughter of John Wilkerson born 1759. I found it on film number 1977903 from Latter day saints. The document itself is quite interesting, apparently John made a will which was lost. The children of John knew that a will had been written so they contacted author of will who had moved out of state. From his testimony they were able to reconstuct the document. The children listed on papers were
James Wilkerson
William Wilkerson
Overton Parrish, husband of Salley
David Wilkerson
Jacob Dixon, husband of Margaret
John Wilkerson

Wife of John Wilkerson is also listed but she is Margaret Tatum a widow, can't be mother of children as they were married in 1836.
So the search is on for the first wife of John. This next research will be long as the materials for researching are limited here in Michigan. I did order some microfilms from the North Carolina Archives which may help.

I realize this is a long note but I wanted to share.

Donna

Re: John Wilkerson Person Co NC

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 8:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Feb 2006 12:59AM GMT
Hi Donna,
Your post is quite timely as I have been researching a John Wilkerson myself in VA/NC. He is my father's greatgrandther. He would have been born in 1805 and could be John, the son of your John. I also came across the will that you cited but have thus far been unable to find out for sure where John lived in NC. It was somewhere on the border of VA because every other child was born in VA. He married an Elizabeth but I unable to find marriage records for them. They migrated to Mississippi around 1842. Good luck! Theresa.

Posted: 19 Sep 2007 6:44PM GMT
Do you have any information on these children? I am interested in William.
Linda

Posted: 2 Feb 2008 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Dixon, Gover, Wilkerson,Wilkinson
Wilkerson/Dixon connection: My husband, Bill Wilkerson, has had his DNA tested by The Family tree dna ( National Geographic, testing info.) and with 67 markers, he is closest to some Dixons. We are trying to find out what the connection is. Our Wilkerson's, Thomas Jefferson Wilkerson, b.circa 1848, in Talladega, Alabama. His parents were, Joseph Wilkerson and Juretta Gover. Joseph supposedly born in Ga. don't know when, They married 1847 Talladega, Al. Juretta, born 1825, Louisville, Ky. Died, Garland County, Arkansas, while living with her son. We know there are several Wilkerson/Wilkinson & Dixon marriages. Can anyone help us with the connection to Joseph?
Thanks, Pat

Posted: 2 Feb 2008 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Wilkerson
Hello Donna,
Do you know were this family came from. Any chance they are connected to the John and William Wilkerson family of Stafford/Fairfax counties. I have a John Wilkerson who was the son of William Wilkerson and was born in Overwarton Parish of Stafford County in 1741. This line of the family disappears. I have reason to believe they ended up in the Person Country area of North Carolina. Hopefully there is a connection.

I would love to hear from you.
Lucy DeYoung
www.deyoungmatson.com

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 3:37PM GMT
Hello I am in the process of going through my family tree. It starts in 1805 with Robert James Wilkerson Born in Orange County. This is my Great Great Grandfather.His second child John William Wilkerson is my Grandfather Walker Sellars Wilkerson Father. Do you think this is kin to the people you are listing.

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 6:23PM GMT
Robert James Wilkerson, b. 1805, Orange County, NC, was brother to my g-gm, Sarah Wilkerson who married Thomas R.
Jordan. Please contact me at rdsumner@bellsouth.net
I may have info for you.

Rosalyn Sumner

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 1:35AM GMT
Robert James Wilkerson was s/o John Wilkerson and Sarah Ann
Wilson. John was s/o James Wilkerson of Person County.
I have his will and Bible Record. James and John are believed to come from the Granville Wilkersons. Sarah Ann
Wilson was d/o Robert Wilson of Orange County.

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 1:57PM GMT
You said Robert James Wilkerson born 1805 is son of John Wilkerson which is son of James Wilkerson Person county. Have any idea when John and James were born? Thanks. Larry Wilkerson

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 4:57PM GMT
I have Robert James Wilkerson Sr. born 1805 married Elizabeth Walker . He had a son name John william Wilkerson, he is my great grandfather. I have 80 pages on the Wilkerson family beginning in 1805 through 1977. Would like to go back before 1805 if i could get more information. Thanks, Larry Wilkerson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions