Search for content in message boards

Baswell Sexton married Zylphia Smith

Baswell Sexton married Zylphia Smith

Posted: 18 Jan 2008 12:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on Bazil/Bazzel/Baswell Sexton husband of Zylphia Smith daughter of Alexander and Edith Smith of Lawrence County, Arkansas. I would also like any information on their children.

Zylphia I believe died before 1850, but I have no information on Baswell.

Re: Baswell Sexton married Zylphia Smith

Posted: 23 Jan 2008 3:59AM GMT
I have researched Basil Sexton because of his proximity to Enoch Hensley, also in Lawrence County. Enoch's son John Hensley married Edith Smith, sister of Zylphia.

About all I have--you probably have it, too:

1839 Reed's Creed Church, Shelbyville, AR members: Alice Goatcher Sexton, Basil Sexton

1841 27 June Lawrence Co. AR Bazil Sexton 41 married Alles C. Goatcher

There's a Bazil Sexton on the 1850 census:
1850 Arkansas Federal Census, Lawrence County, p. 207: Byzell Sexton, 57, b. SC; Nancy, 22, b. TN; Joseph, 3, b. AR; Mary M., 1, b. AR; Kasper W. Davis, 13, b. TN; Lucinda E. Laseton, 4/12, b. AR; Mahala Qualls, 26, b. TN

1857 Alexander Smith will dated 16 June 1857, filed 11 August 1857: Wife Edith Smith, heirs Zylphia Sexton, deceased, former wife of Boswell Sexton; Polly Rumsour; heirs of Nancy Ryols, deceased, former wife of Wm Ryola [born 1801 NC, died 1891 Arkansas]; Wm Smith; Edith McGee; grandson Washington Vanburen Hensley. Executor Philip Smith Jr. (Edith McGee remarried after the death of John Hensley sometimes before 1840).

Enoch Hensley was born in Virginia, lived in South Carolina, moved to Tennessee, then to Lawrence Arkansas. I have found Sextons in South Carolina, but it's been awhile since I worked on these people. Dee Dee

Posted: 23 Jan 2008 8:21PM GMT
Yes I have much of that.

John S. Hensley died before 3 Oct 1838 when Letters of Administration were given to Edith Hensley and her father Alexander Smith.

Edith remarried Joseph C. McGee on 20 Nov 1843 in Scott Township, Lawrence, Arkansas. (Lawrence County Marriage Records)

Alexander's Will also mentions Minervy Weatherford (Mary Minerva Hensley), a granddaughter and daughter of Edith and John S. Hensley.

I've found much on Edith and her family, but frustrating little on Zylphia!

Thanks for the information!

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 2:11AM GMT
I have that information, too, except for the Mary Minerva's married name. Thanks.

I tried to trace Alexander Smith, but I wasn't very successful--I was hoping to find out more about the Hensley family. There are a number of deed records in Lawrence County regarding Alexander Smith, who was active in early county administration.

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 3:34AM GMT
There are at least two (possibly three) Alexander Smith's in Lawrence County in the 1840's. I'm still trying to sort them out.

I am hoping the county commissioner is my Alexander. More work with the deed records!

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 12:20AM GMT
I have this info for Alexander Smith. Not much, I'm afraid. I do know that there were Orr families in South Carolina 1800-1820, near Enoch Hensley. There is also a Hensley-Thompson connection. My problem is that I have never been able to definitively connect my Hensley. There were three Hensleys in early South Carolina, Benjamin, Davis, and Samuel. I think they were either brothers or cousins. Enoch was probably the son of Samuel. I think that Ephraim Hensley, who was living near Enoch in Lawrence, was the son of Benjamin. After all the research I've done, I think my Hensley (Van Buren, not the grandson of Enoch) is a descendant of Davis Hensley. My Hensley was in Texas County, Missouri, and later some of the people from Texas County ended up in Lawrence County, Arkansas. I researched two Sextons in Texas County, but I was not able to connect them to Bazil Sexton:

1830 Tennessee Federal Census, Warren County, page 328: Alexander Smith, 1 male 10-15; 1 male 20-30; 1 male 30-40; 1 male 40-50; 2 females 15-20; 1 female 40-50.

1837 May 22, 1837, Lawrence County, Arkansas, committee to locate the Seat of Justice, David Orr, Alexander Smith, William Thompson

1850 Arkansas Federal Census, Lawrence County, Washington Twp., p. 202: Alexander Smith, 69, b NC; Edith Smith, 67, b NC; Washington V. Henseley, 12, b AR [Washington Van Buren Hensley, grandson of Alexander Smith, son of John and Edith Smith Hensley, grandson of Enoch and Sarah Boling Hensley]

I think I copied all the Alexander Smith deeds or at least the ones indexed--I'll see if I can find it in my journals.

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: SEXTON, SMITH, DIXON, CUNNINGHAM, WASSON
I am a descendant of Elizabeth Ann Dixon Sexton (1832-1911). I think that Basil Sexton was probably either her father or stepfather. If he was her stepfather, then Zylphia Smith must have first married a Dixon. I believe Zylphia Smith was her mother. As of yet this is all based on circumstantial evidence. I know that E.A.D. Sexton had at least one sister named Edith. She also had a daughter Editha Cunningham and a daughter Zilphia Cunningham, among her many children. Her first husband was Merrel Hanley Wasson. Second husband Lee Cunningham.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions