Search for content in message boards

Sukowicz/Sakavicius

Sukowicz/Sakavicius

Posted: 2 Jan 2002 9:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2003 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Sukowicz, Sakavicius, Sukavicius
My deceased grandfather's last name was Sukowicz, however, his relatives still living in Kaunas, Lithuania spell their last name as Sakavicius.

No one can explain the change in name. Can anyone help?

Re: Sukowicz/Sakavicius

vincent sakavicius (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2002 4:27AM GMT
Surnames: Sakas
My relos in the USA have changed their name to Sakas which made them hard to track down.We live in australia

Posted: 16 Jun 2002 4:27PM GMT
Surnames: Saulkiewicz, Sokevitz
I am also looking for a surname in lithuania. Its my great-grandfather, Saulkiewicz which was changed to sokevitz in america. Call me at 352-528-0781 if I can help

Marilyn Krzus (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2004 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Sakowicz, Sakas, Sakawicz, Sakavicius
I found a marriage record from a Polish Catholic Church in Chicago from 1900, and the name of concern to me was "Sakowicz." A Lithuanian linguist from a message board helped me out with this explanation: The name comes from Sako, "is saying." The surname became Sakas, which was Polonized to Sakawicz, which was put back to its current Lithuanianized form of Sakavicius. Interestingly, I believe they were from Kaunas! Anyway, my ggf (Sakawicz was his mother's maiden name) was Vytautus, which was Germanized to Witold, which was Americanized to William--lots of changes all over the place!

Posted: 14 Apr 2004 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: Sakavicius
Another thing, Steven--do you have a Sakavicius family tree? My relative, whose son was born circa 1862, had a first name of Ursula.

Re: Ursula

Posted: 20 Dec 2004 8:44PM GMT
No...I do not have any Ursula in my tree.

Re: Ursula

Posted: 20 Dec 2004 9:05PM GMT
Thank you anyway.

Posted: 10 May 2008 8:42PM GMT
Surnames: Sakavicius, Sakievich, Kaminski
My maternal g-g grandfather was Wincenty Jonas Sakavicius b.abt.1836 in Punskas, Kalvarija m. to Marianna Kaminska b.abt 1840 in the same area.
Children: Antanas b. 1862 (my g-grandfather
George Jerzy b.1865
Juozas
Vincas
Gertrude

The name my grandfather and mother went by is Sakievich. This happened about the time the family came to Baltimore, MD. I was told this is a Russinized version of the name.

Kaunas is farther to the North but still close enough. Punskas is now known as Punsk and is located in Poland.
Always hoping to make a connection.
Danny Coolahan
Arbutus, MD

Posted: 12 Dec 2008 10:33AM GMT
Surnames: Sakavicius
There were 2 Sakavicius families that lived in Radziske Lithuania. Punsk is only a couple of miles away and that is where the births of my family are registered at the cahholic church. My grandfather was Jonas Sakavicius.
Regards Andy Sakavicius

Posted: 15 Jan 2009 4:07PM GMT
I am pleased to meet you Andy! I have Jonas (John Sukowicz) Sakavicius as my great-uncle. He was born in 1896. So he was not the same Jonas as your grandfather who was born in 1849. Someday in the near-future when more records are available, we can be related as distant cousins.

Steven Giampoli
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions