Search for content in message boards

CURRANS OF OHIO, TENNESSEE AND IRELAND

CURRANS OF OHIO, TENNESSEE AND IRELAND

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 2:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CURRAN RICKERT FLANAGAN FLAHERTY
My mother's grandmother was:

Mary Eva Curran (b. 28 Jul 1884 OHIO / Died: Feb 1979 Los Angeles, CA) Married to John Frederick Rickert

Mary Eva's parents:

John Thomas Curran (Born: JAN 1854
OHIO / Died: 10 Dec 1892 Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee)
and
Mary Ann Flanagan (Born: MAY 1859 IRELAND / Died: 21 FEB 1939)

*** Ship registry has John Thomas and Mary Ann entering the U.S. with one son, Michael, in 1870's) We believe John Thomas was born in Ohio but traveled to Ireland and brought back his wife and son. Though we are not certain that Mary Ann didn't already have the child before she married John Thomas. Could possibly have been married to his deceased brother, uncertain.)

Other children of John Thomas and Mary Ann (nee Flanagan) Curran may have been:
Michael 1878
Willie H. (William?) 1890
Thomas Jr. 1891

John Thomas Curran's parents:

Thomas Curran (Born: 1831 Ireland / Died: 05-07-1893 Nashville,Davidson,Tennessee)
and
Elizabeth Flaherty (could be O'Flaherty and could be spelled differently. We are not certain about her name or accuracy). (b. Ireland 1840)

Other children of Thomas and Elizabeth Curran may have been:
Edward 1858
Katie 1863
Alice 1864
Thomas 1864-1892
Sarah 1869
Patrick 1873
William 1878

We heard a past rumor that one or more of Mary Eva's brothers or uncles MAY have been priests in County Cork.

Mary Eva Curran and John Frederick Rickert had three children:

Norma Lee Elizabeth Rickert (b. Sept 21, 1920 Louisville, KY / died Feb 14, 1982 Burbank, CA) Married James Johnson, 2 children: Judith Johnson and Michael Johnson.

and

Louis Henry Hamby Rickert (b. Louisville, KY 3/29/1911 / died San Diego, CA 2/19/2006)

and

Englebert Rickert (b. Louisville, KY)

Re: CURRANS OF OHIO, TENNESSEE AND IRELAND

Posted: 24 Feb 2008 4:55PM GMT
Surnames: CURRAN RICKERT RHINEHEART SHARDEIN STAFFORD JOHNSON FLANAGAN MCCOOL ROGERS REASONOVER ELKINS CHILCOAT
Mary Eva Curran "Mamie" also had another daughter, Vernice Rhineheart, prior to her marriage to John F. Rickert.

CORRECTION Re: CURRANS OF OHIO, TENNESSEE AND IRELAND

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 3:32PM GMT
Have discovered that Mary Eva's father's name was THOMAS CURRAN, not John Thomas Curran.

We also have a John Curran, but he is a different relative.

Posted: 8 Sep 2008 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: CURRAN
I've been studying the Curran famillies of Chesterville, Ontario, Canada. There is one family from Norwalk, Ohio that settled in this area.

John CURREN & Elizabeth FEENEY arrived with John(b1869 USA), Michael(b1869 USA)and Thomas(b1871 USA).Then they had Mary (b1872), Margaret, Elizabeth and Sarah A. here in Ontario.

Sound familiar at all?

Natalie

Re: CORRECTION Re: CURRANS OF OHIO, TENNESSEE AND IRELAND

Posted: 29 Sep 2008 9:31PM GMT
Surnames: CURRAN POTY
Hi

In search of descendants of Edward CURRAN (Edward D. CURRAN) and his wife Florita POTY (daughter of Camil POTY and Elvire of Point Marion, Illinois).

Edward and Florita CURRAN were living in Liberty, Ohio in 1930 and are both buried in Paraskala Cemetery, Licking Co., Ohio.

Edward D CURRAN born 1901 and died 1950
Florita POTY born 21 September 1902 and died 27 July 1978

Thank you

Posted: 28 Jul 2009 4:55AM GMT
Hi Natalie,
I'm helping someone with their genealogy and I landed on your query about John Curren and Elizabeth Feeney, which is our exact family. Do you have any other info on this family...where in Ireland they came from?....I do have that Elizabeth was born in Roscommon...that's all...
and I have the children and their birth from an 1881 census...
Hope to hear back from you
Barbara Lewis

Re: CURRANS OF OHIO, John J. Curran & Elizabeth Feeney

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 5:59PM GMT
Surnames: Curran
Hi,
John J. Curran was born in Winchester Twp., Ontario, but left for the USA sometime after the 1861 census. He returned in time to be enumerated for the 1871 Census along with his new wife and first three children.

He married Elizabeth Feeney while he was in Ohio. Their first three sons, John, Michael John, and Thomas were born in the USA, presumably Ohio (Norwalk, Huron co. as noted on the Michael's marriage cert. They returned to Canada in the late 1868 (as per the 1901 Ontario Census)

I'm having a hard time tracking the other children.

John J. was the son of John Curran (b abt. 1799) and Susanna UNKNOWN. Both parents were from Ireland. I don't know where. They had one known child, John J.

John and Susanna were one of eight (8) Curran famillies that settled within a few miles of each other in Chesterville, Winchester Twp., Ontario. It's reasonable to assume that they were all related...brothers? first cousins? This is why I've chosen to study them ALL! :)

There is an IGI entry on familysearch.org for a James Curran who is one of the orginal Chesterville families, and the submitter has him as being born in County Cavan, Ireland. I cannot, unfortunately, verify this claim.

Natalie

Re: CURRANS OF OHIO, John J. Curran & Elizabeth Feeney

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 10:42PM GMT
Thank you for the info on John Curran...I just found the 1871 Census for John and Elizabeth...looks like they are living with his parents after returning to Ontario:

John Currins
Birth Year: abt 1841
Birth Place: Ontario
Marital Status: Married
religion: R Catholic
Origin: Irish
Province: Ontario
District: Dundas
District Number: 71
Division: 02
Subdistrict: Winchester
Subdistrict Number: f
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John I Currins 91
Susan Currins 91
John Currins 30
Elisabeth Currins 28
John Currins 5
Michel Currins 3
Thomas Currins 9m

Barbara Lewis

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 10:50PM GMT
Natalie, me again, Barbara Lewis...
It seems that with all those Curran family in Winchester Twp, and probably related like you said, someone should have some info on John and Susanna as found in the 1871, showing them born about 1780 in Ireland...their being in the Township also......would there be local records of some kind, showing where in Ireland they are from?

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 1:40AM GMT
Surnames: Curran
I know that many of the church records burnt in a fire. I've been relying on Ancestry.ca for my information.

I haven't been able to find their tombstones either in any of the local cemeteries. If you want to reply to me off-list, I'd be curious how the person you're helping is connected to the family!

Natalie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions