Search for content in message boards

Deleted father & lost his ancestors!

Deleted father & lost his ancestors!

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 7:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
My dad was showing up twice in my family tree. I thought I just needed to delete one of them. Turns out that deleted both entires on my tree and now I've lost all of his ancestors too. Help!!

Re: Deleted father & lost his ancestors!

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 7:43PM GMT
Everyone who was connected to your father should still be there in the list of people. Find your father's parents in the list, add him as a child, then connect him to your mother using the add spouse link and selecting him from the list.

Posted: 17 Mar 2013 11:58PM GMT
Since you said you had your father in your tree twice, bring up the other instance(unless you deleted both) and add him as a child to his parents. That will reconnect him to his family.I you did delete both duplicates, you will just enter him again as a child with his parents. You might have to do some repair work but not on the scale you are worried about. Also, should you find other instances of duplicates in your tree, do not delete them. Simply select "more options" which is last of the 5 options below the persons name in your tree overview page. Click that and choose "merge with duplicate". Then make sure that both duplicates have the same exact information. Follow the steps and your duplicates will be merged into one without losing anything. It is great that this has at least been added to the member tree program.

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 12:25AM GMT
If you saw your father in your tree twice, in family view, it probably wasn't a duplicate (especially since you mention that deleting one, deleted both). Always check your list of names for duplicates - not family view. And if you find a duplicate, merge them instead of deleting one... But, as to your original concern, only your father is missing - everyone else is still there. You just need to reconnect them.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic