Search for content in message boards

Tecumseh girls reform school 1940's

Tecumseh girls reform school 1940's

Posted: 28 Oct 2001 4:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Dec 2002 6:22AM GMT
i am looking for info on a girls reform school in the 1940's i was told that my grandmother went there more than once and i was wanting to find some old records of hers does anyone have any idea where this school was and where i might find some records at
thanks
demetra haggard

Re: Tecumseh girls reform school 1940's

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 4:25AM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2002 4:47PM GMT
Surnames: Lewis,Anderson,Miller,Hagler,Etherton,Robinson,Brown,Bilyeu,Harris,Bays(Bayes),Jones,Lindsey,etal.
I may be wrong,but I believe it is now called Central Oklahoma Juvenile Center.It used to be called Girls Town and various other names.I work there now and am familiar with some of it's history.

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 7:57AM GMT
wow do you by chance know where i might find the old records
from the 1940's i would really be interested in finding some on my grandmother.
demetra

Posted: 13 Nov 2001 2:41AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis,Bays(Bayes),Anderson,Miller,Brown,Harris,Jones,Hagler,Etherton,Robinson,Reisinger,King,Bilyeu,Lindsey,and many more
Hi again! I am not sure where the records might be,but you could start by calling the : Historical Society of Pott.Co
405-275-9194. I don't think that anyone at work would know where they are kept.On Wednesday I will ask someone in records who might know.I will get back with you on that,in the meantime,try calling that # and see what they say,Darla :)

Posted: 12 Dec 2001 2:59PM GMT
hi darla i called that number 405-275-9194 that is not the correct number
demetra

Posted: 12 Dec 2001 4:07PM GMT
Hi Demetra! I asked a person in records at work a few weeks ago,about how you could get the records on your Grandma.He said that the State Office in Oklahoma City might be ablt to help you.The school is now run by OJA.When they took over in the past,the records were not required to be saved.My friend hopes they were at least microfilmed,bt being juveniles,it was not necessary then.Here is OJA's website and phone #405-530-2800
http://www.state.ok.us/~oja/
If this does not work,I don't know what else to do.I found out all I could at work,so all I can suggest it to now start with this office in OKC and keep looking till you get your answer.Good luck,Darla

Posted: 12 Dec 2001 10:01PM GMT
hi darla thanks so much for all your help i really appreciate it. i have one more question do you happen to know the phone number to the pottawatomie county court clerk
they said that is probably where i need to call.
thanks
demetra

Posted: 13 Dec 2001 4:33AM GMT
Hi Demetra,the # is 405-273-8222.I hope they have what you need,good luck.Let me know how it all turns out,Darla

Posted: 26 Mar 2003 7:15PM GMT
Surnames: Haggard, Atwell, Newman
Demetra: I am researching my Great Grandmother Carlotta Haggard. Lottie as she was known by, married John William Atwell.and they had two sons in Tecumseh. I am told that Lottie was full blood Cherokee. This family also lived in Pontotoc and Haskell Counties. I am at a loss with Lottie as I can not locate any of her Haggard line. Any help appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance

demetra haggard (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2003 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: haggard
hi well i dont know about a carlotta haggard but my haggard family is from around fannin county texas and bryan county oklahoma. bryan county is around durant oklahoma
do you have any idea when carlotta was born and where and when she died and where.
my personal email is deelyt69@yahoo.com
i will be glad to look thru my haggard names i have alot
demetra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions