Search for content in message boards

O'Gormans from Co Clare

O'Gormans from Co Clare

Posted: 21 Oct 2008 7:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Has anyone got any O'Gorman ancestors who cam from Mulloch, Carrownagry North, around the Miltown Malbay area in the 1800's? Maybe we could compare notes!

Re: O'Gormans from Co Clare

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 11:08AM GMT
I've actually been interested in finding somebody with ancestors from that locality. My Gormans come from Co. Tipperary, but very likely originated before then in the exact area you are researching. Perhaps you are already aware of this, but Carrownagry North is only about 3 or 4 miles away from Cahermurphy Castle (whose ruins are still there), which was the home of the MacGorman clan after they were forced to migrate out of Slievemargy barony (near Carlow town) around 1169 A.D. I'm not sure when they actually moved into that castle, but it was sometime after that year.

Most of the Gormans/O'Gormans abandoned their lands and fled from Co. Clare back in the 17th century, due to attempts by the Protestants to convert them from Catholicism, but a few of them remained and apparently heavily repopulated Co. Clare over the next couple of centuries. I have often wondered if the ones who stayed were the ones who were willing to convert to Protestantism. Do you happen to know to which religion your Carronagry North ancestors belonged?

Anyway, I've been working on some maps of the distributions of the Gormans/O'Gorman households in the early 19th century, and you may also already be aware that there were three of them in Carrownagry North on the Griffith's Valuation in 1855: James O'Gorman, Margaret O'Gorman, and Timothy Gorman. Were any of these your ancestors? There were also quite a few O'Gorman households in the surrounding townlands.

It would be very informative for you to get DNA tested, if you are so inclined, and see which members of the Gorman DNA Project you match. It might tell quite a lot about how you (and other project members) are related to that ancestral Cahermurphy-area clan, and will very likely help you identify some unknown relatives. We do currently have three project members with ancestors from Co. Clare. I'd be more than happy to talk to you about this if you have any interest, as I'm the project administrator.

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 11:32AM GMT
Hi, Yes, this sounds interesting. Margaret O'Gorman is my GG Grandmother, and the James is her son. She was Margaret Honin, who was married Michael O'Gorman who must have died before Griffiths Valuation was taken. I am unaware of Timothy Gorman, and have no record of him at all. Yes, they were indeed catholic's, and still are to this day. Three of her daughters and two sons migrated to Australia, and I know of at least one grandchild who went to the USA, most likely there others who went to USA.

There is 2 O'Gorman families farming in Carrownagry North as at 2001 when I was there. They are both Margarets descendants.

This sounds interesting, I am living in Australia how does one go about testing?

Posted: 24 Oct 2008 1:57PM GMT
All the details about the Gorman DNA Project are discussed at the following website:

http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/gorman/home

There's a link at the bottom of that page to join the project, and also an e-mail link for me if you have any questions, or if you want me to explain anything further.

How interesting that you know that the Gormans on the Griffith's are your ancestors! I wish I could be so lucky to be able to identify which of the Gormans on the Co. Tipperary Griffith's were my ancestors, but I'm still working on it.

Have you looked at the Tithe Applotments for that townland to see if your ancestors were there earlier? There were also several Gormans in Co. Clare on the Irish Flax Growers census in 1796, including a Michael Gorman who was in Ibrickan barony (very close to where Carrownagry North is, though the townlands aren't listed in my index) though this would have been a couple of generations earlier than the Griffith's. Unfortunately, Michael was a very common name for Gormans/O'Gormans (it was my earliest known Gorman ancestor's name too).

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to discuss any of this with you further.

Shawn Gorman Powell

Posted: 16 Mar 2009 6:56AM GMT
The girl who came to America wouldn,t have been Mary was it. She had a brother John Joe and Sinean.

Posted: 16 Mar 2009 7:26AM GMT
I saw the picture of the O'Gorman house you took and I'm almost positive it is my grandmothers house. She was born late1930's and came to America around the mid to late 1950's. I can get more info from her if you are interested.

Posted: 17 Mar 2009 6:10PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: O'Gorman McGuire Foley
Lá Fhéile Phádraig Sona Daoibh

I got this post yesterday - I'm sorry I hadn't seen this thread until now.

My branch of the clan came from Tullycreen, Co. Clare. I'm not sure if this helps, but my GGG grandfather was John O'Gorman (1765-1851) who had two wives. With his first wife (Johanna McGuire) he had a daughter Margaret (Married Patrick Howard) who remained in Ireland and whose descendents were said to still be farming in the area in 1918 - so you may find some connection there.

My GG grandfather was also named John (1798-1884) and he immigrated to Canada in 1829, while his father John (b.1765)moved to Canada with his second wife (Mary Foley) in 1835. My G grandfather was John Keaton O'Gorman, my grandfather George (1885-1967) and my father David (b.1925).

Another descendent has put up a site with O'Gorman family information that was gathered in the early 20th century by Father John R. O'Gorman, and includes information about descendents in Ireland, Canada, the U.S. and Australia which may be of help to you.

http://www.isellorillia.com/ogorman/pages/familytree.html

Greg O'Gorman
Toronto, Ontario

Posted: 31 Jul 2009 5:59PM GMT
Surnames: O'Gorman, Mahony
My ggfather Richard O'gorman was born Count Clare about 1820. He named first son John so we assume that was his fathers name. He came to USA about 1845 thru Canada to Oswego, NY with wife Johanna (Mahony) and newborn daughter Mary.
Are there any Richards in your family tree.
John Gorman

Posted: 1 Aug 2009 12:41PM GMT
Surnames: O'Gorman, Tuohy, Lawler, Cunningham & Sullivan from Ireland
Hi, Sorry to say, but i am unaware of any Richard's in my O'Gorman family, my family tree for the O'gorman's is 'Michael O'Gorman's Decendants' in Ancestry.

good luck
Helen

Posted: 1 Aug 2009 8:32PM GMT
Thank you Helen. I'll keep looking.
John Gorman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions