Search for content in message boards

James Swallow family of Chester Nova Scotia

James Swallow family of Chester Nova Scotia

Posted: 4 Mar 2003 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 29 Dec 2003 3:50AM GMT
I recently found the Administration Papers of the estate of James Swallow of Lower Grant Rd., West Chester, N.S. at the Nova Scotia Archives, MFM #19887. He died without a will and Peter Corkum administered the estate. With the estate papers is a document listing the lawful heirs of James Swallow. The lawful heirs as stated:

Catherine Swallow, wife; Joseph Swallow, son, James Swallow, son, Rebecca, daughter and her husband Thomas Chase, Dorcas, daughter and her husband John Eldridge, Sophia, daughter and her husband George Backman, and Elizabeth Swallow, daughter.

There is no information of a David Swallow attached to this family. If James had died with a will, he could have disinherited David but this is not what happened. David is never mentioned, in any of the papers, as a lawful heir or otherwise, either missing, or his whearabouts unknown.

Sandy

Re: James Swallow family of Chester Nova Scotia

Posted: 20 Apr 2003 3:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Sep 2006 1:23PM GMT
Surnames: Chase swallow
Hi Sandy,

"Down the Road to Yesterday: A History of Springfield, Annapolis Co., Nova Scotia", by Mary F. Kendrick, 1941 notes that James Swallow came from England, married Catherine Greenlaw of New England in 17_ _. One son, James. James the father was lost in a snow storm. Catherine, the widow, remarried. James the son, married ______Webber and lived in Chester, N.S. They had ten children: David, Joseph, Richard, James, Mary E., Rebecca, Dorcas, Sophia, Hannah, Elizabeth.

There appears to be an error in Mary Kendrick's account in this book. James the father married Esther Rust (Rhosti, Rhosty) on 1 November 1784. Esther was widowed and married Simon Hatt on 18 November 1787.

James the son married Catherine Greenlaw (or Greenlow). Catherine's mother was Maria Webber.

I have quite a bit on James the son's daughter Rebecca Swallow and her husband Thomas Chase. Would like to compare notes on this couple with you.

Linda Chase

Posted: 20 Apr 2003 12:50PM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2003 3:50AM GMT
Hi Linda,

We corresponded a couple of years ago about Mary Kendrick's book and how she had the information mixed up. At the time, you were looking for Thomas Linnell/Chase, who had first been a Chase and I can't remember why but changed his name to Linnell and in later life reverted back to Chase.

I realized early on, when I found Jame's marriage to Rhosty/Rust at St. Stephen's Chester that Kendrick's had two Swallow families mixed up. It was the Swallow family in Wentworth that descended from the James that came from England, I believe, very early 1800's. She had based her book on stories by the old people and not on hard research (I currently correspond with a descendant of Mary).

Many people seem to be trying to hammer this Chester family together with a lot of children named in her book. A second cousin of mine, dead these past 10 years, once corresponded with a very elderly Swallow from Springfield, Annapolis Co. who descended from David Swallow. Neither he nor the gentleman he corresponded with were able to prove
conclusively that David descended from our James of Chester.

Your Thomas and his wife Rebecca are listed in the 1881 census of Wolfville, Kings County, N.S. District 17, sub-district H, Division 1, page 24, Household 114 and are as follows:

Thomas, married Ethnicity English, age 62, born N.S., cooper
Rebecca, married, " " " 64, born N.S.
Dorcus, (strange, listed as a male, a mistake?) age 28
Mary, age 25, James, age 23, a cooper, Catherine age 21, Hannah age 19, Edgar born Jul. 6/12.
All are listed as being of the Baptist faith.

Now, census records are great but they can also be wrong. I have seen misspelled names, wrong birth dates (when compared to church records), ethnicity very often wrong, and even wrong sex attributed to people. I believe the above Dorcus is probably female for two reasons, Rebecca had a sister Dorcas and if it was indeed a male I believe they would have
listed an occupation for him.

I believe the James Swallow at Chester was probably a Loyalist and am pursuing that avenue. I have a couple of reasons for this: The time frame is right and at the old Swallow homestead at Upper Tantallon, that James Swallow 3rd built for his family (I have a picture), there appears to be a black band around the chimney. I know in the St. Margaret's Bay area, it was a custom of the Loyalists to paint a black band around their chimneys.

Linda, I have a PDF file on the Swallows. If you can view PDF files, I would be willing to send it to you. I am also interested to know what you have on your ancestor Thomas and his wife Dorcas.

Cheers, cousin Sandy

Helen McNamara (View posts)
Posted: 25 Dec 2003 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Swallow Chaffey
Perhaps, son James was given the middle name of David and then called David to distinquish him from his father.Seen it happen. Just my two cents. Merry Christmas
Helen Mc
Reasearching Swallow family head Robert Swallow b. about
1790 in Yorkshire, England. Went to prince Edward Island Canada. Married had kids and died the same day as his daughter Marie Chaffey nee Swallow.
Robert my gr gr grandfather
Marie my gr grandmother

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 10:26PM GMT
Surnames: Swallow Eldridge
Dorcas Swallow is indeed a female. She married John Eldridge in 1844. I believe they had 9 children.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions