Search for content in message boards

Can burial permits be searched???

Can burial permits be searched???

Posted: 21 Apr 2008 6:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a major dead end in NYC 1944. Beth Israel cemetery can't find a burial in their records. The death certificate has the burial permit number. The permit will have the exact location of the grave. Is there any way of searching the permits? The question has stumped Dept. of Health, Municipal Archives and local undertakers. Thanks in advance.

Re: Can burial permits be searched???

Posted: 17 Jun 2008 5:05PM GMT
I tried that route for a different county in New York;
they too, were stumped. However, the reference librarian liked the train of thought, so to say. Of course, that led me to knowing the cemetery, but not the location....to bad, I wanted to put a marker on it....oh well.
May you have better luck.

Posted: 18 Jun 2008 9:57PM GMT
Thanks a million for the archives lookup. It takes about 3 big bricks out of one of my walls. I didn't realize that you can't respond back to a message through the connection service. My thank-you bounced back.

I saw you have a posting asking about burial permits. A few years ago Charles Sullivan and Jim Garrity were trying to get behind the details of NYC burial permits and where they might be. Jim contended that he was being stonewalled by being told that those records were destroyed after 6 years.

This may actually be true. The NYS Health Law requires that the permit be given by the undertaker to the cemetery. After the cemetery attests to the information and includes the burial details, the permit is supposed to be returned to the issuing agency.

All agencies in NYC are covered by the New York City General Records Retention Schedule to determine the proper disposition of public records they create and maintain. It identifies individual records types, or services, specifying the minimum length of time that records must be retained.

The next time you are at Chambets St. you may want to inquire as to the retention schedule for burial permits. Items for permanant retention go to the Archives. Items for temporary retention go to the Municipal Records Center. In either case, the retention schedule information and the location of whatever permits have been retained is the responsibility of:

Pearl Boatswain, Director
The Department of Records and Information Services
Municipal Records Management Division
31 Chambers Street, Room 105
New York, NY 10007

Regards,
Bob
----- Original Message -----

Posted: 29 Jun 2008 12:12PM GMT
Just wanted to add a little info regarding burial permits. Friends of Abandoned Cemeteries on Staten Island has the original records to a number of S.I. cemeteries. Not all of the cemeteries kept good records, however, Staten Island Cemetery Association records include all of the original burial permits attached to the "burial ticket" the cemetery association issued. In some cases with the burial permits are transfer permits (from State to State), ferry permits, train telegrams announcing the arrival, etc.

Friends of Abandoned Cemeteries, Inc.
Staten Island
per page

Find a board about a specific topic