Search for content in message boards

Need to request a new dna board?

Need to request a new dna board?

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Mar 2013 4:14PM GMT
How do we request a new dna board where we can discuss dna products without some irrational and unreasonable board moderator deleting posts that do not violate community forum guidelines? This has gotten beyond ridiculous.

Yeah, I'm calling you out mi2early. You move threads inappropriately and delete comments about dna product that Ancestry subscribers paid for and that do not violate the rules. And you don't even have the cojones to explain WHY you are doing this. You know NOTHING about dna genealogical inquiry, and your ignorance disqualifies you from administering a board about the subject. We are sick and tired of you preventing us from open discussion.

Somebody please tell us how to get a board that we can actually DISCUSS the board topic.

Re: Need to request a new dna board?

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 5:26PM GMT
Edited: 31 Mar 2013 9:11PM GMT
At the bottom of this page, you will find "Request New Board", which for all I know, goes directly to her.

Even though I don't participate in the DNA boards, I can see the overwhelming need for a forum to FREELY discuss and share all the new developments. Is she STILL deleting and moving posts?

It was a shame that the 2 or 3 new DNA boards were given to her to admin; there were a number of complaints at that time about her meddling with threads. This was her LAME and INSULTING EXCUSE, posted 20 Dec 2012:

"The only posts that were deleted from the DNA/General board were deleted by staff or me because the post violated Community Guidelines by either promoting a commercial company or including a commercial URL, or because the post was off topic for any board.

Some posts were moved because they were off topic for the general board, such as those that mentioned problems with Ancestry DNA technical issues that could be addressed by staff."

You would think that Ancestry would take more of an interest and LISTEN to these unhappy customers, considering that they are paying extra for this product. It's amazing that the DNA members are teaching each other, and it's apparent that there is very little support from Ancestry. It might inspire some confidence in this new technology and attract other participants IF the DNA boards had an knowledgeable admin that DID NOT DERAIL their enthusiasm and education.

There are many members who have an excellent understanding of DNA testing, and any one of them would make a better admin than the current one.

The new community support forums are poorly organized, so I can't see that as an alternative.
Attachments:

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 7:08PM GMT
There are numerous boards to discuss genealogy software of nearly every make, why can't there be a similar category of boards to discuss DNA testing products? It's ridic this is an issue.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 7:09PM GMT
We already have too many DNA boards and it is difficult to choose sometimes which one to post to. If you post same message to more than one it is deleted. The problem is with the administrator and unfortunately she is administrator of all of the DNA boards.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 8:38PM GMT
Edited: 31 Mar 2013 8:39PM GMT
Thanks Talbotrail. I have submiited a request for a new board.

The board admin of the current dna board does nothing but but hinder discussion of dna genealogy. The idea of these discussion boards helping other members and promoting various methods and avenue of genealogy inquiry is hindered by mi2early. She offers nothing to the promotion of these boards and in fact negatively affects the ability of paying subscribers to discuss and evaluate dna products and methods. Ancestry needs to be made aware of her and the fact that she is abusing and misusing her board admin responsibilities. I am going to continue to complain to Ancestry until she is removed or another board is established that we can openly discuss dna without worrying about our comments being moved or deleted for no good reaon.

We may even have to start a petition at change.org. :)

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 8:46PM GMT
Marthe,

Unless you checked the box to be the administrator when you submitted the request, the same admin may be assigned or even volunteer to administer IF the powers-that-be actually create another board.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 8:57PM GMT
Edited: 31 Mar 2013 8:57PM GMT
It's a little difficult for me to take the side of this particular admin, given that I have disagreed with her decision every time I have seen posts moved or deleted. However, in all fairness, I don't think she was acting outside of guidelines this time around by deleting posts which said little more than "done" and were, by the admission of some of those posting in the thread, intended simply to bump the thread to the top of the board.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 8:57PM GMT
I checked the box. ;)

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 9:10PM GMT
Edited: 31 Mar 2013 9:12PM GMT
Well some of them said more than "done". And really, the idea is to keep the thread at the top to bring awareness. The truth is that we have not had any trouble with spam or even really contentious posts. There was one long thread that she deleted simply because the original poster didnt like the comments on it and whined. No one was abusive on that thread, and there was a lot of good information and advice but mi2early deleted it and I would say SHE violated the guidelines when she did so.

Keepng a thread bumped to the top for awareness isn't a big deal and eventually it would have settled toward the bottom of the list. This way, the thread just keeps getting reincarnated so how does that help? Especially galling is her arrogance and refusal to communicate at all.

She needs to go. Yesterday. This has been going on for months and everbody is tired of her idiocy and little power games. I will be complaining every day until Ancestry does something about her.

And really, who wants to administer a board where she is loathed? She never contributes and is unable to because she doesn't understand the subject. So why in the world would she want administer a board where she is only held in contempt? It's about control.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 9:47PM GMT
Requests for NEW BOARDS go to STAFF not a volunteer admin BUT for a topic board such as a DNA board your request would need to be a DIFFERENT topic than one that already exists on the boards. You cannot have a request approved because you don't like the admin of the exist same topic board.

Joan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic