Search for content in message boards

incorporation of my family tree without referencing

incorporation of my family tree without referencing

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 9:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for advice/consolation. I have been disappointed to see that some folks have incorporated parts of my trees from rootsweb but not referenced that they got it from my tree. I know for sure that they copied from my tree because the notes are copied word for word. Some of these users have not been online for over a year, which means that they probablly did this during some free trial that they had. How should I deal with this? If there is nothing I can do, then is there some perspective that might make me feel better about it?

Re: incorporation of my family tree without referencing

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 10:01PM GMT
Lisa,

There is nothing you can do about it so all you can really do is to try and forget about it and move on.

Anything else will just lead to frustration.

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 10:15PM GMT
One note: if they got info from your Rootsweb tree, that is a free web site and does not have anything to do with "free period".

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 11:22PM GMT
I think she means they built a tree on Ancestry during a free trial period and took the info from rootsweb.

Posted: 7 Apr 2013 11:32PM GMT
On one hand, anything you post publicly on the internet can be copied. If you personally wrote a narrative and it was lifted word-for-word, you could have a copyright-violation claim, but this is difficult to enforce.

On the other hand, if your material was personally researched and documentably accurate, you can be glad that at least someone else now has at least an accurate genealogical account in part of their tree. This is not a bad thing.

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 12:26AM GMT
This is another reason for using PDF files. While any system cam be worked around, for the average user, PDF can be locked with a password. When locked you can control what can be done with the file, such as copying, printing, etc.

I would recomend that if you put something you have worked on and is more that a couple of sentence, to always include your name and address.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic