Search for content in message boards

Re: site errors really bad

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 2:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Apr 2013 2:18PM GMT
I'm getting really tired of the "please excuse the inconvenience" and the red x "Error" on the message boards-just got both of the above this morning-and the other one

Review Record Hint for Henry Lehman Parmer

"We apologize, but we were unable to handle your request. Please try again later."

This keeps showing up erratically with certain links and question is why? I can save census links for the above person and most death index links but not the one above. I found the same thing with certain Military links last week.

I am seeing way, way too many of these types of things and it sure makes me wonder just what is going on.

On my opinion, they should just institute the

"Coming in April 2013 Over the past few months we’ve been working on simplifying the way you add new discoveries to your tree. After getting your feedback and suggestions, we’re now ready to make these changes available to everyone. Be aware that in April 2013, these changes will be permanent."

over the objections of so many of us or do away with it completely. They keep putting it off. It's become like the boy who cried wolf-do that too many times and nobody pays attention anymore. Maybe that is the plan!

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 3:21PM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2013 3:59PM GMT
"On my opinion, they should just institute the 'Be aware that in April 2013, these changes will be permanent.'"

ACOM is obviously committed to the implementation of this new process which is, just as obviously, not quite ready for prime time. The headlong impetus apparently driving this current techo-train crash is somewhat alarming...but it is the apparently associated manipulation of existing database indexes that has me much more concerned.

I don't think anyone, save for ACOM itself, fully comprehends the big picture here and I think all, to include ACOM, are likely to be learning some difficult lessons...the hard way.

Posted: 8 Apr 2013 6:31PM GMT
I agree. Way too much emphasis on this wonderful "new" stuff and nothing at all on the problems that have been pointed out for a number of years. And nobody there really cares either as long as new subscribers keep coming along.

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 4:34PM GMT
"And nobody there really cares either as long as new subscribers keep coming along."

And they'll keep coming along as long as Ancestry keeps advertising how easy it is to build your family tree by just clicking those leaves.

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 5:47PM GMT
I'd like to see anyone with no other knowledge try to find my great grand father Jim Smith. Don't know anything. Just type in Jim or James Smith and see how many thousands you get. Or another, Tom Johnson. I also have Browns and Jones among my ancestors. Without knowing something about each of them I would never have found or been able to trace any of them. I wish Ancestry would tell it like it is. Of course, that would cause some to think twice as in:"you mean I have to know something first". Probably would not contribute to the clickofiles who find any similar name.

Posted: 9 Apr 2013 6:04PM GMT
"Probably would not contribute to the clickofiles who find any similar name."

Those "clickophiles" probably pay a major percentage of the freight here. They're paying hard cash to float their own genealogical boat, leaky tho it may be. Stop begrudging them their enjoyment.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions