Search for content in message boards

Old Man Snow

Old Man Snow

Posted: 1 Nov 2003 4:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Just want to know about the murders around Chalk Mountain in Erath county. Don't know the time period. Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Old Man Snow

James Pylant (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2003 12:06AM GMT
F. M. Snow killed his wife, Maggie; mother-in-law, Samantha Olds; and stepson, Bernie Connally, on 27 November 1925. Actually, the murders occurred closer to Selden than Chalk Mountain. Snow was found guilty and executed in 1927. I am compiling a book on this story, so I've accumulated much material on F. M. Snow and the murders.

Jana Laven (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2003 3:46AM GMT
Surnames: Starnes, Jackson, Carter, Turnbow, Gilbreath
My grandfather loved to tell that story when we'd drive from Stephenville to Granbury. He said that when Ben Aycock's hunting dog found the old tow sack with Bernie's head in it down in an abandoned cellar his first words were, "My God, it's Herman Starnes." (Guess my grandfather's name.) He said "the shock of black hair" was identical to his own. He said the authorities placed the head in formaldehyde in the courthouse for citizens to come by and try to identify.

James Pylant (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2003 4:10AM GMT
Actually, Elvis Riggs was the one to discover the head. He said, "I know who it is! It's Herman Starnes!" Ben Aycock was with him at the time, but Riggs said the dog was not. By the way, your grandfather was a third cousin to my grandmother through the Gilbreath family.

Posted: 5 Nov 2003 11:39PM GMT
Surnames: CONNALLY
Has this Connally line been identified? I know there were several of them in Texas, but I'm curious to learn if it traces back to old Tom Connally and Polly Price, of Orange County, NC and later GA.

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 3:05PM GMT
Surnames: cburgess
By change did you ever get a book wrote about FM Snow, I live at least a mile up the road from snow road. I would love to here more of the story.

Posted: 31 Dec 2011 9:14AM GMT
Surnames: Snow
James did indeed finish his book on the Snow murders. You can find out more about it here. http://www.genealogymagazine.com/snow.html

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 11:01PM GMT
I have heard the story that Samantha lived in the area of Iredell, Bosque County, Texas about 30 miles from Stephenville, Texas. The three men that were responsible for her husband's death were hung near Iredell and their remains are buried in the Riverside Cemetery in Iredell. I have pictures of the tombstones that bear hangman's noose on their stones. Is the same Samantha story?

Re: Price Connally married to Mary Price

Posted: 30 May 2012 1:25AM GMT
Interested if you have anything on Price Connally married to Mary Price. Price born 1775 in Chapel Hill, Orange Co NC

Price's father is Thomas Connally Sr b 12 Sept 1738 in North Farnham Parish, Richmond Co., VA and his mother Mary Price b about 1745 in Norfolk or Spottsylvania Co. VA

Here's my interest: Supposedly Price adopted my great great great grandfather, John A Fisher, however, I can't find anything on it and do not know if this is true. I cannot find any relatives, father, mother, or siblings going back from John A., who moved to Washington Parish, Franklinton, LA;from Raymond, MS, was married to Anastasia Susan Toney, and is buried in Washington Parish (Bullock Cemetery).

Should you have any info on this, please let me know. I have almost given up. Thanks.

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 3:20AM GMT
I am glad the book has been completed. My Great Aunt and Uncle, Ida and Ned Gristy owned the property where the Snow cabin was located. Aunt Ida lived until 1993 and would tell the story to my children. She repaired Bernie Connally's coat, but did not have the right color of thread so she repaired it inside the lining. When his head was on display at the courthouse, she was allowed to look at the coat and identified it as Bernie's. My sisters and I had nightmares when we slept our Grandmother Ruth Bailey's home on US hwy 281 because it was just down the road from the site of the murders. It was a sad historical event in Erath County. Several of my relatives travelled to Huntsville for his execution.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions