Search for content in message boards

LAMPHEAR/NICOL/WATSON

LAMPHEAR/NICOL/WATSON

Ann Massengill (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jul 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
EMMA LAMPHEAR b. 1857 Morristown, NY to Gilbert and wife Isabel Russel Lamphearl (he was son of Major and Roxanne (Hyde) Lamphear) m. John Nicol of Hammond, son of Catherine (Rarick) and Andrew Nicol. Had one known child CLARA NICOL b. 1874 Hammond. Emma and John were divorced before his 2nd marr to CAROLINE DELONG of Morristown. EMMA died Feb. 1912 as EMMA WATSON. Who did she marry after the divorce? Where did she die? Canada? Would appreciate any information. This one's had me stymied for years! Thanks a lot. Ann.

LAMPHEAR

Wanda Lomprey (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
WILLIAM LAMPHEAR, b. 1853, in St. Lawrence County, NY. He was the son of ZEBULON LAMPHEAR and ELIZABETH (HIERS) LAMPHEAR. I am wondering if WILLIAM may be a cousin to EMMA LAMPHEAR? Have you came across the name ZEBULON in any of your genealogy searchings? I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks, Wanda

LAMPHEAR/NICOL/WATSON

Posted: 29 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Thank you Wanda Lomprey for info on WILLIAM LAMPHEAR b. 1853 St. Lawrence Co. as son of ZEBULON LAMPHEAR and ELIZABETH HIERS. My EMMA LAMPHEAR of Morristown, St. Lawrence Co. m. 1st JOHN NICOL of Hammond, St. Lawrence and m. 2nd to an unknown Mr. WATSON had several uncles and nothing is known of them. Her father and uncles were the sons of MAJOR LAMPHEAR and ROXANNA (HYDE) of Morristown and were: Seymour b. 1830, Gilbert b. 1835 (Emma's father), Major b. 1841 and Benjamin b. 1843. Nothing is known of these sons except for Major Jr. and Gilbert but there is no Zebulon that I know of. Lets stay in touch, and thank you so much for your response. Ann

LAMPHEAR/NICOL/WATSON

Posted: 30 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Wanda:
My Lamphear immigrant was George b. 1631 Berkshire, England who went from Newport, Rhode Island to Westerly, RI ca 1668 and m. there 1669 to Jane Hulet. George's family were Hugenots from Languedoc, France. However, when the grandfather and family fled France, some of the sons went to England and some of the sons went to Ireland; however, I think the family home is originally France. You may trace back to the Ireland/Scotland Lamphears - I think once in a while I have hit someone who does trace back there. Good luck! If I come across Zebulon, I'll be sure to let you know. Best wishes.Ann.

LAMPHEAR

Posted: 30 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Ann, thanks for the information on your family in St. Lawrence Co., NY. Who knows, there still could be a connection further back in the lineage somewhere? What nationality do you attribute to the name LAMPHEAR? We have it down as being of Scotch Irish descent, although another e-mail correspondence mention that they thought that the name LAMPHEAR was originally from the French name LAMPHIER. This person stated that they fled France in the 1600's to England to avoid religious persecution. Interesting, but I'm not sure if that holds true for my LAMPHEAR's. Wanda

LAMPHEAR

Norm Young (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
In "The Lanphere Family Research Aid" by Shirley (McElroy) Bucknum, printed by The Genealogical Forum of Portland, Oregon, 1979, on page 56, is listed Zebulon, b. 1811, VT, & Betsey, b. 1814 [1850, Canton twp., St. Law. Co., NY], and their children, Lavinda, b. 1834; George, b. 1836; Laura, b. 1838; Lyman, b. 1840; Hannah, b. 1842; Justice, b. 1844; Chester, b. 1844; Evelyn, b. 1847; Henry, b. 1849; Losin, b. 1850. [This "research aid" actually covers all the spelling variations]

Norm

LAMPHEAR

Posted: 1 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Norm, thank-you so much for that information. While all of it isn't correct, it is the right family. I'm going to try and find that book. Does it happen to mention Zebulon's parents? That would probably be too much to hope for. Thanks again, Wanda

Lamphear

Posted: 1 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Mar 2003 4:24AM GMT

Is there a website for Lamphears? I have Lamphears on my husband's side but they came to Schuylerville, then to Lake Pleasant, Hamilton Co. NY. Anyone have websites? Was wondering if St.Lawrence Lamphears were related?
Thanks
Annie Weaver

LAMPHEAR

Norm Young (View posts)
Posted: 2 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
No, there is no mention of any other relatives. I believe the reference is to the 1850 census of St. Lawrence county. This family does not seem to be on the 1860 census. The book mentioned is basically a compilation of mentions of people bearing any of the variations of the name Lamphear - Lamphere - Lanphear - Lanphere - etc. There is a copy of it in the archives of the St. Lawrence County Historical Association [e-mail slcha@northnet.org].

St. Lampher Bible

Posted: 14 Sep 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: LAMPHEAR
Thanks for the information on the Bible. I have not come across any St. Lampher's in our family, but it is interesting that there are so many variations of possibly the same name, coming from the St. Lawrence area.

Thanks again, Wanda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions