Search for content in message boards

Brigadier General Joseph Martin

Brigadier General Joseph Martin

Posted: 25 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 3:58AM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Emory
Searching for Brigadier General Joseph Martin b. 1740,
Charlotteville, Albermarle, VA Married Mary Emory.
Mary died at Martinsville, VA abt 1767.
Joseph Martin is of Cherokee heritage. I have lots of history and data on this family to present day.
Their children were from Va, East TN and Cherokee Co, OK

Brig. Gen. Joseph Martin

Vivian Chastain (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Martin
In Albemarle County, I show our ancestor b. 18 Sep 1740 in
Charlottesvile, d. 18 Dec. 1808 in Belle Mont, Henry Co. VA. He was the son of Col. Joseph Martin (b. 1702 in Bristol,
Somerset, England, d. 1761 in Charlottesville. Brig. Gen.
Martin's mother I show as Sussanah Childs/Chiles b. 1714
in VA, the daughter of John Childs/Chiles and Eleanor
Weber who d. 29 June 1754 in Charlottesville. Joseph, Sr.,
then married Ann Pulliam 28 June 1755.

Brig. Gen. Martin had 5 wives: Sarah Ann Lucas, married
1763 in Orange Co, VA; Elizabeth "Betsy" Ward, in 1775
in Cherokee Nation East, TN; Mary Emory about 1781;
Susannah Graves 1784 in Henry Co. VA; Susannah Emory (don't
have marriage date).

We are descended through a son of Joseph Martin II and his
3rd wife, Susannah Emory (1/4 Cherokee), born in 1754 in TN, the daughter of William Emory and Mary Grant. She died in VA but I don't show where. One of their children became Judge John Martin who was elected first Supreme Judge of the
Cherokee Nation in 1821.

If you send me your email, I'll send you what else I have.
I'd love more information on this Martin family. My
email is: trvl1pro@sirius.com. Thanks so much! Vivian

Re: Brigadier General Joseph Martin

belinda ann (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2001 8:42PM GMT
have you heard of a john martin who went to franklin co. va, he was born around 1766 and married meley meador of franklin co. va? i have heard of general martin and wondering if i could be related. thanks for sharing!

Re: Brig. Gen. Joseph Martin

E. B. Davis (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2001 8:11PM GMT
Am seeking info on William Martin, born abt 1760 in Albemarle County (died 1843 in TN), who served in the Am. Revolution.

He was obviously married in VA, because my ggg grandmother, Phebe/Phoebe Martin was born in VA in 1787.

William apparently left VA, moved to GA, and from there, moved to TN, where he married Jane Copeland/Coplan/Caplan, who was much younger than him. He was 67 or 68 at the time. (Obviously, Phebe's mother was dead.)

I have tried unsuccessfully to trace William's parentage. There were many Martins in VA at the time of his birth, but I cannot yet connect William to any family in the state.

If you have information that might help solve this mystery, I'd like to hear from you. Naturally, if I learn more about the Martins, I will share.

E. B. Davis
redmaple@swbell.net

Posted: 6 Mar 2002 11:41PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2003 6:37PM GMT
Martins, in Albemarle County, VA

Does your line show a John Martin m. Nancy Ann Tullee, who had a son DABNEY MARTIN, b. may17, 1877 in Ballengers Creek, Albemarle County, VA?

Please send a response, any info is helpful

Thank you so much,

Sheila

Posted: 6 May 2005 8:43PM GMT
Surnames: Martin,Grant
I am enquiring abt your Mary Grant.Parents ect.. to see if she fits into my line. I have a Direct Family line living Rivanna,Albemarle,Va.Family is Large and scattered.Would Appreciate any assistance you can give abt her .
Christy

Posted: 26 Jul 2008 2:10AM GMT
Surnames: Chiles, Harris, Clegg, Polk
Hi Vivian,

I realize this is an old post of yours, but hopefully you can still be reached here.

I noticed in your post you mentioned the name "Chiles". I have been researching my family some 45+ years and can find very little on this line. Her name was Cornelia Ann Chiles. B: 1820 - VA. Married: 1837 in TX. to Israel Pleasant (I.P.) Harris. D: 1875 - ?, but I am assuming in TX for they were in the Census before that & he remained in TX after her death. I am trying to locate any siblings and/or her parents. All I have is a copy from the Family Bible showing their marriage date. If you happen to have any information on this family I would certainly appreciate it. You can contact me at Family2tree@yahoo.com

Thanks so very much. Sharron

Posted: 30 Apr 2011 8:04PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
My husband, Col Joseph Martin, and I have researched GJM for approx 35 years. We have most of his lineage. Our research indicates he had only 3 wives, Sarah Lucas (7 children) , Betsy Ward (2 children--James C. and Nancy), and Susannah Graves (11 Children). If anyone can prove otherwise, I'd like to have the proof. I'm quite certain this was all his wives and children. Dr Emmitt Starr posted incorrect information and we've been trying to remvoe it for many years but when someone post incorrect information it's very difficult to get it removed. Mr David Hampton, Pres. Nancy Ward Society and auther of many books is attempting to correct much of the misinformation of Dr Starr.
Gen Joseph, nor his brother John Martin (and this was not Col John "Jack" Martin of Stokes Co NC--many people get them confused) Joseph and John Sr. was never married to Mary Emory. Mary's husband was Ezekiel Buffington. John Martin Sr, was married to her sister, Susannah Emory and they had 2 daugthers and a son,(Judge John Martin). Susannah Emory and John Martin Sr., later moved from today's TN, perhaps to GA but eventually to SC or perhaps NC and died there. I have proof of this, if your interested. They were together from about 1777 about the same time Gen Joseph went to Long Island as the Cherokee Agent, and they lived below Knoxville, near Chota until their move to SC or NC and remained there until their death. Some of this was taken from the Morivan's Diaries and other archive information from several sources.
Please contact me if you wish to have more information.

Col Joseph Martin
Sec/Treas, Gen Joseph Martin Association
e-mail: joemartinproperties@cox.net

Posted: 3 May 2011 12:09AM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2011 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: Martin, lucas, graves, ward
I agree wholeheartedly with you Col. Martin. I too descend from Gen. Joseph Martin and although I've seen speculation that he was married to one of the Emory's there is nothing I've found either to substantiate that. I show his first wife as Sarah Lucas (who died of smallpox, I believe), he then married Susannah Graves (my line) and was simultaneously married to Betsy Ward. Proven issue from that marriage was a son, James and a daughter Nancy who married a Hildebrand.

Billye L. Purdy nee Martin

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 8:14PM GMT
Hi,

Brison Martin, b. 1811 in VA, is my 3rd great grandfather. I have been searching for his parents, exact birthdate and location, with no luck. Brison Martin married Nancy Staley of North Carolina in Morgan County Indiana, in 1835, where they raised their children and remained in Indiana until their deaths.

I would appreciate any information you may have about my Brison Martin. Thank you.

Ann Martin Walker
per page

Find a board about a specific topic