Search for content in message boards

Lookup - book at Maine State Library, Augusta

Lookup - book at Maine State Library, Augusta

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 8:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for the parents of Henry Simmons who died in Friendship, ME, 1854, age 40. He married Sarah Poland in 1836. I believe he may be mentioned in "Genealogy of the Simmons family of Maine and Massachusetts" by Frederick Simmons, publ. 1920. I understand a copy of this book is held at the Maine State Library.

Yes, I'm aware of the online family trees that state his parents were Isaac Simmons & Elizabeth Thompson. But to my knowledge none of them provides any evidence for this assertion.

Thx.
--------------

P.S. I've not found any birth records in the FHL catalog, but you might have more luck. I've searched an index of land records where I did see a transaction where Henry was a grantee of land bought from grantor William Simmons (there could be other records, this index is poorly organized). William may have been a brother of Henry, as it appears Henry's son Henry (Jr.?) lived with William after the elder Henry's death. I also reviewed the pension record of Isaac Simmons and widow Elizabeth, but found no mention of Henry.

HENRY P SIMMONS 1815-1845, MAINE

Posted: 5 Dec 2012 9:08AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: SIMMONS, POLAND, THOMPSON
couple of trees on Anc. (not sourced) which state

Henry P SIMMONS
Birth 1814 in Friendship, Knox, Maine, United States
Death 18 Jul 1854 in Friendship, Knox, Maine

father
Isaac SIMMONS
Birth 15 May 1762 in Duxbury, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Death 26 Apr 1848 in Friendship, Knox, Maine

1800 25 Dec
Marriage to Elizabeth THOMPSON
Bristol, Lincoln, Maine, United States

Elizabeth THOMPSON
Birth 13 Jul 1782 in Friendship, Knox, Maine
Death 1862 in Pembroke, Plymouth, Massachusetts

siblings
ISAAC 1804-1882
WILLIAM 1807-1840
ELIZABETH 1811-1895
JOSEPHUS 1812-1897
THOMAS 1816- ?

MARRIAGE TO SARAH M POLAND
Friendship, Knox, Maine, United States
3 NOV 1836

Re: Lookup - book at Maine State Library, Augusta

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 3:52PM GMT
Have you found the information you are looking for yet? If not, I am planning on going to the state library this week and I can try to find it for you.

Posted: 17 Feb 2013 5:11PM GMT
Nothing definitive. Would welcome anything you can find. Thx.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 12:17AM GMT
I found your book at the library, and my husband and I scanned it twice looking for a mention of a Henry Simmons. The book does not have that many pages, so it was fairly easy to do. We only found one mention of a Henry Williams that fits the dates you provided. According to that information, there was a Henry Simmons born Aug. 13, 1811 to a Charles Simmons and Lydia Weston. There was no other mention of Henry after that. We photocopied the page if you would like to see it.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 5:50PM GMT
Ok, thanks, I appreciate that information.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions