Search for content in message boards

NO THANKS!!! Stop the popups, and I may participate!

NO THANKS!!! Stop the popups, and I may participate!

Posted: 6 May 2013 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 May 2013 7:23PM GMT
You can't click around this survey to get to your tree. You are FORCED to accept or click NO, THANKS. But I'm MORE irritated because I just clicked the same LAST NIGHT to access my tree. (The other screenshot of the promo is able to be clicked on the gray, and bypass to get into tree)

Someday the same popups WILL be a cloned malware. Why do you continue to use a popup method, with hackers and spamming ever present? This must be stopped. Promo ads, as well -- otherwise one will never know the difference if it is malware or actually from ancestry. If it is a popup of any kind, we'd automatically know it is malware.

Don't anyone suggest these 'popups' are malware. They are not. Strictly generated from Ancestry.

Not to mention the mothers' day and dna, etc., promos are redundant as the SAME ad is the banner ad on the home page (easily seen on my sample) Come on... give us paying members a break.

**Thank you nanablue! Glad I'm not the only one. Yes, this is small potatoes when it comes to annoyances, but it is just excess baggage. Appreciate the response!
Attachments:

Re: NO THANKS!!! Stop the popups, and I may participate!

Posted: 6 May 2013 6:33PM GMT
I am annoyed too.

Posted: 6 May 2013 8:34PM GMT
I agree.

Posted: 6 May 2013 9:35PM GMT
If ACOM sincerely had its members' privacy and security at heart, one would think that any popups prior to logging in would go away. Once a member has safely logged in, there could be a summary page of all such messages if one wishes to participate. The summary page could also be used as a Bulletin Board to briefly mention other notifications of interest and a link to locate same within ACOM website. Further, there should be no coercion whatsoever to click either 'yes or no' in order to access Ancestry. I call that bullying! For shame!

Posted: 6 May 2013 9:36PM GMT
Considering all the real problems on Ancestry, this doesn't even register on my miff-meter.

Posted: 6 May 2013 9:59PM GMT
"Miff-meter" - like that :)

There are lots of things that need fixing and this is minor in comparison. I do find it annoying that ancestry seems to think the majority of their subscribers are young enough to have mothers who are still researching and could use gift memberships.

I am far from the oldest subscriber, but my mother has been gone for more than 30 years, and I really don't care to be reminded 20 times a day the week before Mother's Day (which happens to be her birthday, as well).

Once should be enough.

Re: http://www.heaven.com

Posted: 6 May 2013 10:23PM GMT
Edited: 6 May 2013 10:28PM GMT
"I am far from the oldest subscriber, but my mother has been gone for more than 30 years..."

Would that there was a heaven.com which I could source away to my heart's content.

Posted: 6 May 2013 11:30PM GMT
To each his own. . . . . . I liken these popups to a pesky gnat or fly that is in my face and won't go away. Of course it registers in my "miff-meter." I would much rather that ACOM address the more important issues as presented on some of these boards, but they are more likely than not to seize on a trivial matter "to solve or improve" as opposed to a major issue. We habitually take whatever we can get! ACOM shall not be moved until they have an incentive to do so.

Posted: 6 May 2013 11:35PM GMT
haha 'Miff-meter' love it! No argument from me. Completely minor but voicing my opinion - again - re the popups. I complain about big stuff, too :)

Burgess that's how I feel. Once is enough. Bombardment is over-the-top...and if I may repeat myself - the ad is the same as the next one, waiting on your home page. That's kinda idiot overkill. (I'm sorry about your mom. My parents are long-gone as well :( BrklynBridge as would I!

Thanks everyone for your replies, comments, agrees, disagrees and opinions!

Posted: 7 May 2013 2:46AM GMT
Burgess,

I agree about the Mother's Day gift subscription. I'm 46 but my Mom has been gone for 11 years on June 6th of this year, just a couple of weeks or so before my birthday. It pretty much sucks to get a reminder of my mother not being with me every day when I come here. There should be some sort of option to decline the offer once, as a subscriber, and be done with it.

I don't find the survey pop-up nearly as annoying as the "Mother's Day" offer. I'm always glad to offer my feedback about the site. However, as Mother's Day nears, I think about my mother and how much I miss her and wish she were here. I think ACOM would do well to allow subscribers to decline the 1st offer and no longer receive the pop-up ad after doing so.

Just my 2 cents...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions