Search for content in message boards

Hageness Family

Hageness Family

K Pearce (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2005 4:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on members of my family who homesteaded in the Red Deer Hill area at the turn of the century and possibly before. Carl and Gena Hageness were my Great-Grandparents. Their daughter, my grandmother, Mary A. Stewart passed away this year. Any help appreciated.

Re: Hageness Family

Posted: 17 Nov 2005 1:46AM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2006 2:37PM GMT
8 34 Hagness Charles M Head M Nov 26 1869
9 34 Hagness Gina F Wife M Oct 11 1880
10 34 Hagness Guliy C. R. F Daughter S Oct 6 1899
1 TT SASKATCHEWAN Halcro a(1) 5 8

CARL EMILE N HAGENESS Male 84 16 January 1954 SURREY 1954-09-001472 B13218 2032872

GENA HAGENESS Female 67 16 November 1946 NEW WESTMINSTER 1946-09-012757 B13192 2032424

K Pearce (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2005 4:08AM GMT
Jamie, thank you so much for taking the time to send me the information on Carl and Gena Hageness. I have just begun my search, and many stories I was told are not matching up, so I am assuming there is more family before Carl too. Can I ask you, what are the last set of numbers that follow what I assume is the date of death?

Posted: 20 Jan 2006 3:26PM GMT
Edited: 12 Mar 2006 2:37PM GMT
1911 census

Name: Carl Hagness
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: November 1869
Birthplace: Northwest Territories
Family Number: 29
Relation to Head of House: Head
Immigration Year: 1895
Tribal: Ng
Province: Saskatchewan
District: Prince Albert
District Number: 212
Sub-District Number: 18
Census Year: 1911
Page: 4

Name: Gan Hagness
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: October 1879
Birthplace: United States of America
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Immigration Year: 1891

Name: William Hagness
Marital Status: Single
Birth Date: February 1902
Birthplace: Saskatchewan
Relation to Head of House: Son

Name: Frederick Hagness
Birth Date: September 1905
Relation to Head of House: Son

Name: Gerty Hagness
Birth Date: October 1899
Relation to Head of House: Daughter

Name: Mable Hagness
Birth Date: November 1903

Name: Mary Hagness
Birth Date: August 1907

Posted: 24 Feb 2006 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Hageness, Hagen
My husband's great great grandfather, Simon Hageness, had a son named Carl Hageness, born in 1869. The family lived Traill county, North Dakota, (then Dakota Territory) in the 1880's and 1890's. Carl is listed in the 1885 Dakota Territory Census but I can't find him in the US after that. Some of Simon's children moved to Canada between 1885 and 1906. My husband's grandmother and her brother were born in Saskatchewan (we don't know where) in 1903 and 1906 to Lauritz and Signe (Hageness) Hagen, Carl's sister. The only piece of conflicting information is that This Carl was born in Norway. Still, I wonder if there could be a connection as I know sometimes census birth information can be in error. I have more information on this family if you are interested.

Glenda Lawson

Glenda Lawson (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2006 1:41AM GMT
Hello again,

Thanks to a message from Denis Rivet, I have found Signe (Hageness) Hagen, Carl Hageness's sister, in Domremy, Saskatchewan in 1903--only about 10 miles from Red Deer Hill. So I think your Carl and our Carl are the same person. I noticed a town called Hagen only a few miles away, so I think I will find out the origins of that name.

Glenda Lawson

Kathleen Pearce (View posts)
Posted: 25 Feb 2006 7:18AM GMT
Dear Glenda,

Thank you for your emails. I am overwhelmed. I am very new at this and do not have a lot of time to work on it, but I want very much to trace my family roots - all of them.

I remember my mother telling me that my Great (Great ?)Grandparents came up from North Dakota and had been in Minnesota. She said their original name was Nielsen (spelling unknown) but they had to change their name due to all the Nielsens confusing the postmaster. I don't know if this is true or not. She told me they chose the name Hageness, after a mountain in Norway, but I have not found any info to support that yet. (My mother would have learned all this from my Grandmother, who was mentally ill, and seemed to have a good memory of the old days, which were her happiest days, but sometimes it is hard to tell if some of what she said was right). Anyway, they travelled by wagon train with a lot of other Lutherans to homestead in Sask.. Apparently, my Great-Grandmother, Gena Newhouse was born in 1879 and her birthplace is listed as the USA. I remember my Grandmother saying she was only 6 years old and walked alongside the wagons, which is possible as it sounds as though her family was established to some degree by the time my Great-Grandfather came along.

Someone named Jamie emailed me in January with some 1911 census information. It said that my Great-Grandfather immigrated in 1895 (that would make him 26 yrs old and after he signed the homestead papers) and was indeed born in 1869. His birthplace is listed as N. W Territories but I question that. It is possible he went North to try his luck in the goldfields, I believe the timing is right. The stamp on the homestead paper says Wetaskiwin Alberta, NWT. My Grandmother did tell me he was from Norway, and I am pretty sure it was from the town of Stavanger. (or could that be my Great-Great-Grandparents that she meant?) They were poor fishermen is the story I got.

I do believe there is a connection somewhere here, although I also remember my Grandmother telling me that her father travelled by boat, with a friend, by river if you can imagine, down from the North. He looked for work at the farms and that was how he met my Great-Grandmother and he worked for her family and they married. I have a photocopy of my Great-Grandfather's homestead paper dated Oct. 19/1894. He signed the homestead receipt Carl N Hagnes. However, other info I have show his name as Carl Emile N Hageness.

My Grandmother's baptismal certificate shows his name as Carl Nelson Hageness, although I think this is just a communication problem as when the next child was born he was down as Charles Nelson Hageness. If there was such confusion, his accent must have been very thick and that perhaps would make sense if he had been born in Norway. Another record shows him as Carl Emile Nielsen Hageness, which I think is probobly correct.

They had a son, coincidently, Simond (sp?) William born in 1902, another son and three daughters, one of them my Grandmother.

I know that my Mother and Grandmother kept in touch with some Hagenesses and Nielsens in Gig Harbour, Washington. There was an Olai Hageness, who I think might have been a brother or cousin. I still have a few addresses although the old generation is likely gone now.

I have many old photos which were passed down to me, some of which I think were brought from or sent from Norway. Perhaps one day I could scan a few photos of my Great-Grandfather and email them to you - perhaps a resemblance would show?

I sure would be interested in anymore information you could provide to me and I would be only too happy to do the same.

Thanks very much again. Kathleen
PS Please feel free to email me at my email address directly

Posted: 16 Apr 2013 2:00AM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2013 2:04AM GMT
Surnames: Hageness
Kathleen,

I am also descended from Carl and Gena Hageness. They are buried in Surrey, British Columbia. They were my great Grandparents. I would have met your Grandmother (Aunt Mary) years ago. What you have said below is what I had heard including some I had not heard. I am wondering how much more info you have been able to uncover since 2005. I just started up the family tree again after not doing much for several years. I hope you get this message.

Angela Stessen (nee Stevens)

Re: HAGENESS Family Carl Emile N, Gena, Frederick A in B.C.

Posted: 17 Apr 2013 4:04AM GMT
Surnames: HAGENESS, HAGNESS, NEWHOUSE
Hi, From Royal BC Museum & Archive site
Registrations of death - have been filmed can be read online
http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Genealogy/Adva...

Gena Hageness Age:67 Event:Death
Place New Westminster
Date:1946 11 16 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Reg. Number:1946-09-012757
Microfilm #:B13192 (GSU # 2032424)
Informant: Son in Law -
Burial Ocean View Burial Park -Imperial and Patterson Street - Burnaby BC. -S of Central Park

Carl Emile N Hageness Age:84 Event:Death
Place Surrey
Reg. Number:1954-09-001472
Date:Ag1954 1 16 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Microfilm #:B13218 (GSU # 2032872)
Daughter is Informant.
Buried Ocean View Burial Park - Imperial & Patterson Ave, Burnaby BC. South of Central Park.

Frederick A Hageness Age:78 Event:Death
Place Unknown
Date:1983 9 26 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Reg. Number:1983-09-015160
Microfilm #:B13633 (GSU # 2073150)
SON of Carl and Gena
Informant E.W HAGENESS -sister
BURIAL: Hazelmere Cemetery Surrey BC.

Census do not always have the correct spelling -of names
Transcripts are sometimes in error.
Much depends on what the enumerator hears - and what the transcriber views. Some films are very difficult to read.
1911 Census/Canada/Sask/Prince Albert/18/township 16.Pg 4.

22 29 Hagness Carl M Head M Nov 1869 41
23 29 Hagness Gan F Wife M Oct 1879 31
24 29 Hagness William M Son S Feb 1902 9
25 29 Hagness Frederick M Son S Sep 1905 5
26 29 Hagness Gerty F Daur S Oct 1899 11
27 29 Hagness Mable F Daur S Nov 1903 7
28 29 Hagness Mary. F Daur S Aug 1907 3

Registration Number: 3035
Name: HAGENESS : MARY ANNE
Sex: F
Birth Date (yyyy/mm/dd): 1907 / 8 / 3
Place of Birth: 28-46-26-2
Mother GENA NEWHOUSE
Father CARL EMILE NELSON HAGENESS

Registration Number: 1303
Name: HAGENESS : MABEL AGNES
Birth Date (yyyy/mm/dd): 1903 / 12 / 14
Mother GENA NEWHOUSE
Father CARL EMILE NIELSEN HAGENESS

Registration Number: 1016
Name: HAGENESS : SIMOND WILLIAM
Sex: M
Birth Date (yyyy/mm/dd): 1902 / 2 / 11
Mother GENA NEWHOUSE
Father CARL EMILE NIELSEN HAGENESS

Registration Number: 709
Name: HAGENESS : GERTRUDE KATHRINE RUTH
Birth Date (yyyy/mm/dd): 1899 / 10 / 6
Place of Birth: HALCRO
Mother GINA NEWHOUSE
Father CHARLES NELSON HAGENESS

1916 Census
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1916/Pages/results.aspx?...
Carl 45, Gena 36, Gerti 17, William 15, Mable 14, Frederick 11, Mary 9

Family may have submitted family History/story to a Local History Book Project - in the late 1980's
Search Our Roots/ Nos Racines - online - book may have been digitalized.

Have you searched Family Search Org Online.
Western Land Grants / Homestead?
Soldiers of WW1
Naturalization.

Cheers Stella

Re: HAGENESS Family Carl Emile N, Gena, Frederick A in B.C.

Posted: 11 Sep 2013 11:58PM GMT

Hi Stella,

In cleaning out my old messages, I noticed this one from you in April. I don't know if I thanked you for the information at the time or even if I read it then. If not I'm very sorry. Thank you very much! Better late than never.

Sincerely,

Glenda Lawson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions