Search for content in message boards

Morrow descendants - DNA project

Morrow descendants - DNA project

Posted: 19 May 2003 10:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Nov 2005 5:22PM GMT
Surnames: Morrow
I'm looking for descendants of John Morrow's oddly named sons: Cicero, Demostenes Gracchus, Napoleon Bonaparte and Baron DeKalb. Part of it is general research interest, so any contact is welcome. However, I'm particularly interested in any Morrows out there. There is a DNA project underway for descendants of the Morrow line in Tennesee Cousins - Alexander -> David m. Hannah Hopkins -> David m. Elizabeth Catlett. David was supposedly the father of Robert Morrow m. Elizabeth Shaw. Robert was likely the father of John Morrow. John Morrow's sons D.G. and B.D. settled in Marion County, hence this post.

For more information on the DNA project, please go here: http://genforum.genealogy.com/morrow/messages/3560.html

If you're otherwise interested in this family, please contact me. My 3g grandfather was "Bone", brother to DG and BD, settled in Greene Co, MO. (Note, I'm not on the mailing list, please reply directly)

Re: Morrow descendants - DNA project

Posted: 31 Oct 2010 8:34PM GMT
Surnames: Morrow
Hi Amelia,

Thanks for your post! I am descended from Demosthenes Gracchus Morrow (John Morrow-D.G. Morrow-John Morrow-James Keith Morrow-Anne Morrow). If you are interested, I would be glad to send you the family stories that I have about him and his brothers. We've traced D.G.'s line back to Daniel Morrow, who was born in 1590. I don't currently have an account with Ancestry.com, so if you would like to know more, please feel free to email me (see below).

Sincerely,

Lillian
lillykennedy801@gmail.com

Posted: 31 Oct 2010 9:47PM GMT
Why those all sound like perfectly good names to me, they all were named after very important men in early days. I never knew where the girl Laura Ann that married William Marion Thomas Medley, got her name. I don't know if you noticed but Demosthenes Gracchu and wife Mary J. Kimberling followed the same pattern having Cleopatra, Octavia, Bonaparte, Cicero, Robert E. Lee, and others.
I am familiar with this Morrow family and would be pleased to help.
Don dott@centurytel.net

Posted: 31 Oct 2010 11:00PM GMT
I'll also send this via email, but, for the record:

I would love to hear the stories you have of D.G. and his brothers, as there are some open questions and inconsistent stories about how my ancestor Napoleon spent his youth. If you're so inclined, I've also posted what I know about the Morrows on WeRelate, and stories and further information can be posted here - http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Family:John_Morrow_and_Minerva_...

As for the ancestry past John, I can tell you that one of the "successes" of the Morrow DNA project since the original message was written has been to disprove the ancestry you mention. That was my theory too, but there are about a dozen participants with better documented lines back to that Virginia group of Morrows, and all of them match each other's DNA, but not this line (which is represented by both my father and a descendant of the brother of John (b. 1793 - father of D.G.)). Unfortunately those two do not match anyone else either, so the line past their parents (Robert and Elizabeth (Shaw)) is still a mystery.

Regards,
Amelia

Posted: 1 Nov 2010 6:03PM GMT
Family Tradition Stories: D. G. tried to enlist for the Mexican War but was rejected. He went to CA for the gold rush in 1849, makeing the trip with oxen. He found some gold. Again in 1852 he drove cattle to CA for sale, is said to have had trouble with the Mormons but made it. He came home by way of Isthmus of Panama. Their ship wrecked on the Bahama Reefs, however he and B.D. were rescued. Some said that their brother Boone had died on the way to CA with Cholera. It may have been Cicero instead because I think Bone died in Ozark Co. MO.
D.G. and B. D. came to AR in 1861, both enlisted in CSA, served until the end of War. They both had taken land in Marion Co. Before the War. When they joined both went together and buried their money in an old field. The survivor of the war was to get it all. Both survived, they split the money and both raised families in the Cowen Barrens area of Marion Co. AR.

Posted: 4 Mar 2012 3:57AM GMT
My great grandparents were Sam Medley and Laura Morrow. I would be grateful for any information that you can share.
Thank you~
Jorie Medley West
www.donajoe.com

Posted: 4 Mar 2012 7:16PM GMT
The following information is according to the archives of the Marion Co AR Historical Society.

LAURA ANN MORROW (daughter of John & Minerva [Carter] Morrow) b Shellsford, Warren Co. TN 2 Jan 1827 d McMinnville, Warren Co. TN 22 March 1907 bu Riverside Cemetery, McMinnville, Warren Co. TN m Warren Co. TN 27 Oct 1851 WILLIAM THOMAS MARION MEDLEY (son of John Ewell & Mahala [Carter] Medley) b Hickory Creek, Warren Co. TN 19 Jan 1830 d GA 22 May 1863 in the Civil War. She received Pension No. W254. She is a widow aged 53 living next door to son John Medley aged 28 in Prairie Township, Searcy Co. AR 1880 with son Samuel T. Medley aged 21 and daughter Laura Jane Medley aged 18 in her household. In Warren Co. TN 1900 living with daughter and son-in-law James P. & Octavia Florence (Medley) Bonner. Children: John A. Medley b TN 1852; Octave Florence Medley b TN 21 March 1854; Marcus Tullius Cicero Olmen Medley b TN 23 March 1856; Josephine T. Medley b TN Sep 1857; William David Medley b TN 2 March 1859; Samuel Thomas Medley b TN 29 March 1860; Laura Jane Medley b TN 29 July 1861.

You may be able to find mor information on these two families at the Marion Co AR website www.argenweb/marion.

Best of luck in your research.
Mysty shakerag@mtnhome.com

per page

Find a board about a specific topic