Search for content in message boards

AlexanderStuart / Lydia: Machiasport

AlexanderStuart / Lydia: Machiasport

Posted: 5 Nov 2001 1:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2005 3:30AM GMT
Surnames: Stuart,Lockwood
IM LOOKING FOR THE GRAVE SITE OF ALEXANDER STUART AND HIS WIFE LYDIA LOCKWOOD STUART ARE THEY BURIED IN MACHIASPORT, MAINE ?
ANN

Re: AlexanderStuart / Lydia: Machiasport

Laura Meeks (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2004 10:47PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2004 5:01AM GMT
Surnames: Stuart
Hi Ann,

I wonder if you've found Alexander's and Lydia's grave sites, yet? If not, it's possible that they are buried in the Stuart Mountain Cemetery in Machiasport. I was there in October 2001 and found gravestones for their son, Alexander, dau-in-law, Eunice, and granddaughter, Hattie, along with several others of Alex & Eunice's children, son/dau-in-law's, and grandchildren.

Unfortunately, the graveyard, at that time (and possibly still) located on property owned by Mr. Mike Hinnerman, was in pretty bad shape with several stones worn, laying on their backs, sunken, and very possibly missing. There's a good probability that Alexander and Lydia were buried there, as well, especially since it's called "Stuart Mountain Cemetery" and the Stuarts buried in it are from Alexander and Lydia's line.

I am also researching Stuart/Stewart families from Washington Co (specifically, but not limited to the Machias/Machiasport area) and would love to share and compare information with you. I look forward to hearing from you and any other Stuart researchers of the area.

Laura Meeks
Quartz Hill, CA

Posted: 23 May 2010 4:31PM GMT
hi Laura,
I am a descedent of a James and Jane Sturart of Machiasport. I was wondering if you had any information on them. My grandmother was a Stuart and comes down through Jotham Sewell who was James and Jane Stuart. Thank you for your information June

Posted: 24 May 2010 11:48PM GMT
Hi,

I have a Stuart line in my tree, but not sure if they are tied to Alexander and Lydia.

I have a Robert R. Stuart married to an Almira Pettigrew marriage date unknown. They had several children, one being George E. Stuart born Feb 1, 1863 in Machiasport. George married Lillian (Hillie) M. Dunn also from Machiasport in Machaisport on Aug 21, 1885. Would like to know who Robert's parents were and if there is any relation.

Posted: 25 May 2010 6:25PM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 12 Mar 2012 1:27PM GMT

Posted: 25 May 2010 10:14PM GMT
I looked over what information I have but don't seem to have anything to connect them in paper.The paper trail I
have is that they come thru Truro, Nova Scotia first with:
Alexander Stuart / Hannah
Alexander Stuart / Lydia Lockwood is from Gouldsboro Me.
Children : Robert Born 8 August 1814 Machiasport
Caroline Born 8 February 1817
Elisha M Born 22 February 1819
Eleaner Born 13 February 1822/ died 3 Dec. 1822
Eleaner Ann Born 11 October 1823
Alexanders division of real estate also mentions Robert
middle initial as P. ( Robert P Stuart)another son John
and daughter Lydia E. Lydia Lockwood's mother is Hannah.
Alexander Stuart is educated and mentioned as a Esquire and JP . Have you had a chance to look for wills, deeds etc?

Loretta

Posted: 26 May 2010 11:46PM GMT
Thank you for information. The attachments came through fine. I've always thought that there was a typo or I'm misreading the P. in Robert Stuart's middle name as an R. in the 1880 Census. I've been chipping away at getting as many paper records as I can. Still looking up deeds and wills.

Robert's birthdate that you provided is in the range that I calculated, so it may be him.

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 5:07PM GMT
Hi,

I think my Stuart line may be connected. My GGG grandmother, was Lydia "Berneice" Stuart. Her parents were Robert Stuart & Jane ?. Robert & Jane had 6 children, then he had more children with his 2nd wife, Almira Pettigrew. I have Robert's parents as Alexander Stuart and Lydia Lockwood. I have been unable to track any earlier generations. Any help would be appreciated.

Amy
mrslac1@comcast.net

Posted: 18 Aug 2010 1:04AM GMT
I have not done any further work on the Stuart line in years. I have paperwork from Nova Scotia that puts Alexander Stuart there before coming to Maine were he comes from before that or maybe Nova Scotia I don't know.Is Your Lydia's last name Phantom? I have a deed dated 1808 Book 5 pg 423 Plantation #22 Washington Co Maine Alexander Stuart (Schoolmaster)wife Hannah mentions his son Alexander( who is married to Lydia Lockwood). Lydia Lockwood was born in Gouldsboro Maine 28 Feb.1788 GTR. She is the daughter of Samuel Lockwood ( I have never found any info on him) and Hannah Young Lockwood who later marries Alexander McCaleb.
Lydia appears to have had a sister Liddy who died young. I believe I might have something else that states Alexander Stuart was in Nova Scotia before Machiasport hopefully with a date but I'll have to look tomorrow.
Loretta

Posted: 18 Aug 2010 2:01AM GMT
Loretta,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not familiar with the name "Phantom". My GGG grandmother was born Lydia Berneice Stuart, she went by Berneice. Her parents Robert and Jane ?, and Robert's parents Alexander and Lydia Lockwood. Unfortunatley, that is all I know of the line.

Amy :-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions