Search for content in message boards

George Parker, Brit deserter, Rev War, Brocks Mill

George Parker, Brit deserter, Rev War, Brocks Mill

Posted: 5 Sep 2001 12:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for info to check out a family legend. Has anyone ever heard of a George Parker, British soldier in Revolutionary War, fighting against Francis Marion, who deserted, went to Brocks Mill, Chesterfield County, SC, found a wife and settled down?

Thanks,
Karen Dutton

Re: George Parker, Brit deserter, Rev War, Brocks Mill

Charlie (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2001 8:34PM GMT
Karen

Ther's was a Dr. George Parker that married Nancy Rivers, born abt 1823 in Chesterfield Co., SC

Charlie

Patsy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2001 12:41AM GMT
Karen,

George A Parker, and dec of Steven Parker from Marlboro Co S C. was a rev war soldier. He fought for the British, met Easter Brock in Chesterfield Co. ( the area was later called Brock's Mill). "Took off that red coat through it down a well and started fighting for the colonies. After the war he was given a land grant in Chesterfield Co." per Lloyd Parker, a descendent. I have not found the land grant.

Stephen Parker came to the Pee Dee area of S C from Va. around the mid 1700s. All the Parkers in Chesterfield and Marlboro Counties are supposed to descend from him according to "A History of Marlboro County". Stephen Parker had a ferry on the Pee Dee River near the NC/SC state line. He also built boats.

Hope this helps.

Patsy

Posted: 11 Oct 2001 4:35PM GMT
Thanks so much for the info. Do you know of any online resources about this family? I am hoping to get to our library soon, which has a copy of the Marlboro County History, but it may be a couple of weeks and I am itching to find out any more leads <G>!

I am trying to tie George Parker into Samuel Parker m. Hannah Brock in the early 1800's. My uncle says that George is a relation. The supposed line is:
1) Samuel Parker m. Hannah Brock

2) their son Samuel Jr. m. unknown, children: John Albert, Jim, Arthur, Jack, Frank, Missy, Henrietta and another male child.

3) John Albert Parker m. 1) Roseanne Brock, children: Rosa Lee (b. 1910), Earl, Sam, Edd, Fannie Jane, Walter, and Kenny.
m 2) Amanda Teal children Annie V.
m. 3) Georgia Davis children Albert

Thanks
Karen Dutton

Patsy Brock Leviner (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 2002 5:20AM GMT
Karen

Samual Parker m Hannah Lee not Hannah Brock.

Patsy

Posted: 28 Jan 2002 1:54PM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2002 8:58PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information! Do you happen to have any additional information on Samuel Parker or Hannah Lee's families? Or leads to where I might find more information?

I believe that Samuel Parker's parent is Hawley Parker per the 1850 Chesterfield County Census. I am trying to determine whether the child of Hawley Parker, also named Hawley and listed in the 1850 census as male, might actually be female and the Hawley who shows up in the 1860 census as a female m. to James Lee, living next door to William and Elizabeth Lee. Per the 1850 census, William and Elizabeth Lee appear to be Hannah's parents. I came across a genforum posting indicating that the Hawley m. to James Lee was indeed Samuel's (sister?) Hawley Parker. It seems an awfully big coincidence for the name Hawley in a place the size of Chesterfield County SC.

I have also seen a possibility that a Hawley (surname unknown) was the wife of George A Parker Jr., son of George A. Parker and Easter Brock. Now this is a family tree posted on the web with no documentation, so I take it with several grains of salt, but wondered, especially in conjunction with the question above, if the census taker just wrote this one down wrong? If Hawley was female, it would be more consistent with a daughter being named Hawley and the fact that there was no occupation listed for the Hawley Parker parent of Samuel. Since the 1850 census is the first to list all family names, this question becomes even more important as I try to determine the name of the head of household to search for. (the youngest child listed in the 1850 census was age two so both spouses should have been alive in 1840). I didn't find a Hawley Parker in the 1860 census for Chesterfield Co. which leads me to the following possibilities: Hawley died; Hawley moved out of Chesterfield Co.; Hawley was really female and remarried someone in Chesterfield Co.(though a little less likely as I tried to find anyone with the first name Hawley and only came up the the Hawley m. James Lee who is *much* too young).

Actually the Hawley child of Hawley Parker question is a puzzle to me, but not in direct line. I am comfortable with Hawley Parker b. abt 1802 in SC as Samuel Parker's parent (though I need to find out if I should list as mother or father), but am trying to find the name of the spouse, and of this Hawley's family.

Thanks,
Karen Dutton (kdutton@carolina.rr.com)

Charlie (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2002 4:45PM GMT

SOUTH CAROLINA
Chesterfield District

Mary Parker, Applicant,
VS
Wm. Parker, Jonathan Davis and wife Elizabeth, Jesse Parker, T. Parker, George Parker, Lewis Parker, Elizabeth Parker, Joseph Parker & Phoeba Parker, Defendants

It appearing to my satisfaction that Jesse Parker one of the Defendants, resides without the State, it is therefore ordered, that he appear and object to the division or sale of the Real Estate of George Parker, deceased, on or before the 28th day of March next, or his consent will be entered on record.
TURNER BRYAN, O.C.D.

Jan. 23, 1837

[Reference- CHERAW GAZETTE, 14 February 1837]

Posted: 11 Oct 2009 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Parker
Our family history tells us that my great, great, great, great grandfather was a George Parker who came over with the red coats. He was a mill wright and was enticed by the colonials to desert on the promise that when we won he could have all the land in SC he could walk around in a day. He walked around 1000+ acres in Chesterfield. Parkers still live on what is left of that land today. My ancestor, George's great grandson, Henry Duncan left and moved to Morven, NC. Henry Duncan is my great, great grandfather. I have found George's son, George A who was born in 1800, but cannot find a record of his father, who is supposed to be George the deserter.

Posted: 19 Oct 2009 1:34AM GMT
MGParker,

I think I can help. Contact me at CPurvis1 using GMAIL.

Charlie

Posted: 25 Mar 2014 10:12PM GMT
Dear Patsy, I have no one with the name of George in any of the family names including Stephen Parker's father Elisha's family. Stephen came to the Pee Dee in about 1760ish. I was just in Chesterfield Co., SC a couple of weeks ago. My research confirms your second paragraph, but Elisha's son Stephen was born in 1755 in NC, Anson County. Now I am engaging a genealogist to find if the Elisha Parker that married Rebecca Warren in Chowen, NC is actually the right one. Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions