Search for content in message boards

Peter Petersen born abt 1850 Fynn Denmark

Peter Petersen born abt 1850 Fynn Denmark

Posted: 22 Apr 2013 8:13AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Petersen Sorson
I have traced the australian records of my 2nd great grandfather Peter Petersen, and am trying to make the link back to the Danish records.

Peter was born between 1848 and 1851 to Peter Sorsen and Caroline Petersen.

Family stories have Peter coming from 'the same place as Hans Christensen Andersen', (Odense? Funen?) and australian records place him as at Middelfart, Fyn, Danmark

Danish Emigration Archive list Peter as travelling to Australia in 1872, from a port outside of Denmark - family story states that he travelled by a 'private sailing vessel' and that he jumped ship (to avoid conscription/contined service in the Franco Prussian war?).

I don't know how to go next - I am hindered by language and lack of knowledge of location, history and local resources. Any and all help, hints, and tips are welcome!

Re: Peter Petersen born abt 1850 Fynn Denmark

Posted: 11 May 2015 1:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just read your post from 2013. I am also researching Peter Petersen, son of Peter Sorsen and Caroline Petersen, who is also my 2nd great grandfather. His daughter, Mary Christina Petersen (Steley) was my great grandmother.

I have Peter Petersen travelling to Australia aboard the Reichstag, departing Hamburg on 13 June 1876, arriving on 6 October (age 23). Also travelling on the Reichstag, as free passengers, were Carl Petersen (age 20) and Jens Petersen (age 19). It is possible that these three were brothers, but this is purely an assumption as I have no evidence.

I would love to know if you have found any further information since you posted this original message.

Look forward to hearing from you,
Amanda Taylor (nee Dorr)

Posted: 22 Sep 2015 12:13PM GMT
Hi Amanda, Nice to say hi - we'd be cousins. Peter P is a brick wall of some 30+ years. We do have some more data (and have eliminated the reichstag) PM me. cheers Kirstin

Posted: 30 Sep 2015 5:40PM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2015 7:15PM GMT
Hi mclean124, is this the record of Peter leaving Denmark, that you mean? This is taken from the registry of Danish citizens leaving from Copenhagen.

DDD Danish Emigration Archives
Name: Petersen, Peter
Destination: Queensland
Contract no.: 18900
Registration date: 27-02-1872
Birth place: ?
Last res. parish: Odense
Last res. county: Odense
Last residence: Odense
Destination country: Australien
Destination city: ?
Destination state: Queensland
Name of ship: Indirekte
IDcode: I7172P1913

Odense (the city) in Odense (amt) was the home of Hans Christian Andersen. Odense is on the island of Fyn (Funen). Middlefart is also in Odense amt.

A map here, showing that Odense amt and Svendborg amt share the island of Fyn:

A map here, showing the herreds within Odense amt. Within each herred are parishes (sogns):

Another useful website:

Here is the gateway for hand searching the 1870 census in Odense amt. It is not yet transcribed. Middlefart is in Vends herred in Odense amt.

Here is a copy of a church book for 1863, showing people who registered to leave, but I have not found a leaving list online for 1872 (sometimes some church records get destroyed or lost):

Consider searching for Peter in a confirmation record - confirmation age should be about age 14 or older.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic