Search for content in message boards

Mohawk connection

Mohawk connection

Donna Donelson (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2005 11:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bradt, Webb
My great-aunt, Cora Bradt Webb, told me there was Mohawk blood in our line. Can anyone help? Donna

Re: Mohawk connection

Sheila Behan (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2005 2:44AM GMT
The Mohawk connection to Bradt.
Andries Bradt (b1653) married Margareta Van Slyck (b 1655)
her parents were Jacques Cornelis Van Slyck and Grietje Rickman
grand parent were Conelis Van Slyck and Ots-Toch ( Alstosk Hartell)
Cornelis Van Slyke's story is of a Dutchman who came to the New World as a carpenter at the age of 30, who became an interpreter for the Mohawk nation, was adopted into the tribe, and who met and married a French-Mohawk woman (Ots-Toch)who never left her native village. Their children, all raised at Canajoharie, one of the Mohawk castles or villages, became well-known and respected in the Dutch community. All except one left the village and married Dutch settlers.

One of their children was my 8th great grandfather, Jacques Cornelissen Van Slyke who was known as Akes Gautsch, and whose Mohawk name was It-sy-cho-sa-quash-ka. Jacques was also an interpreter and one of the first settlers of Schenectady.

In my 189-page book, I trace Ots-Toch's lineage, and Cornelis' and Ots-Toch's descendants to the mid 1800s. I have included the descendants of Cornelis' nephew Willem Van Slyke aka Willem Neef, and Willem's possible sister Elizabeth Van Slyke, who married Hendrick Cornelissen Van Buren. The book is 8 1/2 x 11, paperback, coil bound. Laminated covers are available on request (see order form for cost). Pages 1-100 are narrative style chapters detailing the lives of Cornelis and his children, as well as Ots-Toch and her parents, and Cornelis' nephew Willem Pieterse. pages 100-189 are Genealogical Report style plus maps. The book is footnoted and indexed.

An article she wrote on Cornelis Van Slyke, his Mohawk wife and his life in the Colony of Rensellaerswyck New York called Cornelis Antonissen Van Slyke uit Breukelen en zijn Mohawk vrouw Ots-Toch was published in Tijdschrift Historische Kring Breukelen Jaargang 12, Nummer 1, Maart 1997. Translated from English to Dutch by Max Schulte

Posted: 4 May 2005 8:27PM GMT
Surnames: Van Slyke, Van Slyck
It's nice to see mention of my many years of work in a message forum.

But it isn't nice to not see any reference to my name as the author of these words (which were taken from my website and placed here without my permission), or as the author of the book being spoken of.

For those who would like to read the rest of what I said about the Van Slyke family, or who might like to order either of my books on them, please visit http://olivetreegenealogy.com/nn/surnames/vslyke.shtml

And just a friendly reminder that if you are posting to a message board, be sure you have permission to quote sections of a website before posting -- and be sure to give visitors a link as the source of the info you are posting.

Thanks
Lorine (Board Admin for Bradt Board and author of "The Van Slyke Family in America: A Genealogy of Cornelise Antonissen Van Slyke, 1604-1676 and his Mohawk Wife Ots-Toch, including the story of Jacques Hertel, 1603-1651, Father of Ots-Toch and Interpreter to Samuel de Champlain" and "New Netherland Settlers: Willem Pieterse Van Slyke aka Neef - A genealogy to five generations of the descendants of Willem Pieterse Van Slyke who settled in New Netherland (New York) in 1660"

Order forms available at http://olivetreegenealogy.com/books/purchasevs.shtml

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 3:50AM GMT
I have read that Daniel Bradt was a scout with the Schaghticoke Indians and this could be true because all my Bradt lineage came from Schaghticoke , New York
Gloria Waldron Hukle
www.gloriawaldronhukle.name
tennake2@aol.com

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 12:46AM GMT
This may be a long shot but the name of your great aunt, Cora, rang a bell with my wife's Bradt ancestry. Perhaps Cora's mother was Maybell or Mable, born in 1873, died in 1939, married first to Wm. Milton and later to James Smith.
Mabell's brother, Leonard Bradt, 1886- 1967, married Rose
Billings, died 1963, who was a full blooded Mohawk and was the grandmother of my wife. Maybell's parents were Lucinda Eastman and Leander Bradt who was a civil war veteran from the 58th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment and both are buried in Manlius Village Cemetery. Contact me if this
information appears to be useful. I have some further information but truthfully am just starting to research this. Whether there were other Mohawk connections I don't know but the Bradts who moved to Ontario would have
certainly had contact with the native Mohawks. Another of Lucinda and Leander's children, Curtis, 1870-1917, married Cora Fox who had a daughter named Marie.

Posted: 21 Nov 2008 11:29PM GMT
Surnames: bra
my line of the bradt family has been looking for the mohawk connection too !!! My grandfather's name was samuel wayne bradt and my mothers family comes from essex county / windsor / kingsville area and are also reated to the Rollo's Where are you from?

Posted: 1 Dec 2008 4:17AM GMT
I'm very sorry but that line of the Bradts is outside of the
material I have encountered. I can see no Samuel Wayne in
the Bradt branch I have worked with.

Posted: 14 Jun 2009 6:21PM GMT
There is rumored to be Indian heritage in my family though we have never pinpointed it. Stories of both Ojibwe and MicMac heritage exist, though they could merely have the tribe wrong. I am curious if anyone has info. on my lines in relation to Indian heritage. My Bradt relation is as follows:

Roeloff Swartwout
Born 7-1-1634 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Alternative birth date 6-1-1634 in Amsterdam, Noord-Holland,
Netherlands
Christening 6-11-1634 in Amsterdam, No. Holl., Netherlands
Married 8-13-1657 in Albany (Fort Orange), Albany Co., New York
Alternative marriage location is Beverswyck, New Netherland (same as NY?)
Died 3-3-1714 in Kingston, Ulster Co., New York
Alternative death = 1715 in Hurley, NY

Eva Albertz Bradt (Affien Bratt)
Born 1-9-1633 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Christening 1-9-1633 in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Married 8-13-1657 in Albany (Fort Orange), Albany Co., New York
Alternative marriage location is Beverswyck, New Netherland (same as NY?)
Died 1689 in Hurley, Ulster Co., New York

Eva's parents:
Albert Andriese Bratt (Albert Andriesz Bradt)
Born 1608 in Fredrikstad, Norway
Married 4-11-1632 in Oude Kerk Dutch, Amsterdam, Holland
Died 6-7-1686 in Albany, Albany Co., NY

Annetie Barentse Van Roettmer (Annetje Barents Rottmers)
Born 1608 in Altenbruch, (Oudenbroek),Lower Saxony, Germany
Married 4-11-1632 in Oude Kerk Dutch, Amsterdam, Holland
Died near Beverwyck, New Netherlands,(Albany),NY

Posted: 21 Sep 2009 9:18PM GMT
I'm Carolyn Noble & I'm related to the Bradts through Rosetta Bradt who married Wiiliam Rollo and Mina Rollo who married a Samuel Bradt. Mina & Sam's daughter ConstanceBradt/(Howe) started some family research years ago and passed it onto her daughter, Judy (Gerald) Calloway/Howe who lives in Taylor Michigan. Judy was in touch with us in 2007 & left us copies of a bunch of notes from her mother. Samuel was born in 1873 & Mina was born in May 1880.Their children were Violet, Wayne & Constance. I hope this helps.

Posted: 21 Sep 2009 9:32PM GMT
Hi Gloria- The Mohawk connection is very interesting & I've asked relatives & most of them say," Not that I've found out," but my Dad, whose Mother was Rose Bradt, said there was, although he wasn't aware of when & how. From the information that I have most of the Bradt's (Bratt) (Brott) etc. in North America derived from Albert & Arent Andriessen Bradt, two brothers who sailed from their homeland in Fredickstadt Norway & settled in Albany New York & Schenectady New York. A few of these early pioneers disagreed with the American Revolution & thought they had a better chance of becoming a bigger & stronger nation by being a satellite of the British Empire.( Hindsight huh?) Thus becoming United Empire Loyalsits and transplanting themselves in Upper Canada where land was still being given away and standards were different. NWMP.Northwest Mounted Police stopped the kind of Wild West stuff that our American counterparts had. Thus although our settling of Canada was a lot more peaceful than the USA, it was also much less colorful.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions