Search for content in message boards

Garr Cemetery in ruins

Garr Cemetery in ruins

Posted: 24 Aug 2010 9:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Garr
The Garr/Gaar Cemetery in Louisville, Ky., is in ruins. Please contact me if you are interested in helping rescue this old graveyard.

Re: Garr Cemetery in ruins

Posted: 15 Jan 2011 9:56PM GMT
Please post as much info as possible. Pictures? bank account
for Garr Cemetery repair?

thanks

Posted: 16 Jan 2011 2:22AM GMT
The Garr Family Cemetery is an historic treasure located on property owned by NTS/Plainview Associates in the Plainview Apartment complex in Louisville, Ky. This isn’t my family cemetery. But I saw the ruins last summer and wanted to get something going. At that time several tombstones were smashed and on the ground. I put together photos and information and mailed a report to the company. A representative said the company would consider partnering with family members to do some work on the cemetery. As far as I know, that’s where it stands. There are some photos on Find a Grave. But they don’t show the damage. As far as I know, that’s where it stands. I haven’t revisited the site. I do have several photos. Contact me through the e-mail on my Web site -- http://wva.homestead.com/ and I will be happy to furnish photos and more details.

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 12:32AM GMT
Hello My Name is Charles H Garr , My Wife and I wwent to the Cemetery on 4/4/2011 and it is in very bad shape. We have spoke about how it would be nice if we could re-store it or at least clean it up enough to see ALL of the graves there. I do have pics of them showing some of the damage to the head stones .. I also have a pdf file that was made up about the cemetery back in 2004 that even then shows not as much damage as now.. Please contact me to help in anyway I can

Charles H Garr
email: mrc.garr@yahoo.com
cell : 615-887-9526

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 12:39AM GMT
Hello My Name is Charles H Garr , My Wife and I wwent to the Cemetery on 4/4/2011 and it is in very bad shape. We have spoke about how it would be nice if we could re-store it or at least clean it up enough to see ALL of the graves there. I do have pics of them showing some of the damage to the head stones .. I also have a pdf file that was made up about the cemetery back in 2004 that even then shows not as much damage as now.. Please contact me to help in anyway I can

Charles H Garr
email: mrc.garr@yahoo.com
cell : 615-887-9526
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 12:40AM GMT
Hi. Last year the company that owns property offered to partner with the family. (I am not family -- my connection is that my daughter lives nearby.) But things have been at a stand-still. I'll e-mail you privately and give you all the details that I have.

Posted: 6 Apr 2011 12:26PM GMT
Here is the link to Find a Grave:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=23...

And attached is a record of graves in Garr Cemetery.
Attachments:

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 3:47AM GMT
Thank you.
Here is what I have on jacob and Susan Garr.

Jacob Garr was born 20 Mar 1782 in Culpeper County, Va., a son of Andrew Gaar and Christina Wilhoit. Jacob died 28 Oct 1854 in Jefferson County.

His wife Susan Garr (born 03 Feb 1781, Madison County, Va., died 07 July 1861, Jefferson County, Ky.*) "was her husband's double first cousin,** a daughter of John Gaar and Margaret Wilhoit.***

Susan and (husband) Jacob share the same maternal and paternal grandparents, Lorenz Gaar and Dorothea Blankenbaker and Johann Christian Willheit and Margaret ‘Peggy' Walburga Weaver.

They were married on 18 June 1812 in Madison County, Va., and had at least seven children," according to a Kentucky Ancestors article.

Susan and Jacob's children, all born in Madison County, Va., were Joseph Wilhoit (b. 13 July 1814) married Paulina Elizabeth Allen, Alfred Gallatin (b. 3 June 1816), Oliver Perry (b. 14 April 1818) m. Margaret Amelia Head, daughter of Margaret N. Head, and Josephine Sylvinia Rich, Benjamin Louis (b. 17 Aug 1820/d. 27 Oct 1887) m. Kazia Russell, Newton Hamilton (b 02 Aug 1825) m. Berilla Ann Yager, James Osborne (b. 15 Oct 1828), and Horace Stringfellow (b. 07 April 1832) m. Eliza Jane Yager and Margaret Elizabeth Byrne.

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 3:50AM GMT
Thank you.
i am related to Wilhites, which married into Garr family.

Posted: 7 Apr 2011 10:55AM GMT
Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic