Search for content in message boards

wartime uniforms

wartime uniforms

Posted: 21 Jul 2013 3:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Jul 2013 1:49PM GMT
Hello, I have several photos of men in wartime uniforms, but was wondering if there is a way to find out what war or year these men fought in? I don't even know the names of the men in the photos but maybe if I know which war I could try to figure it out. Thank you for your time
Sarah
Attachments:

Re: wartime uniforms

Posted: 22 Jul 2013 11:59PM GMT
The second picture is around about WW2, or perhaps shortly afterwards. It is British or Commonwealth.

The other one might be shortly before WW2, but it would help if you could post a scan the right way up.

Remember, just because someone made it in to uniform does not mean they fought in a war. They may have served in peacetime.

Posted: 26 Jul 2013 2:01PM GMT
I’ve downloaded and adjusted the images on my PC and attached them to this response.

Image1

Except that it looks like a park, there’s nothing of substance I can identify in the background of the picture. The three men are wearing the Canadian variation of the British Army’s Service Dress (SD) uniform that was worn from 1907.

The identified differences being the 7 tunic closure buttons (British had 5) and the conventional tunic collar (all stand and no fall), whereas British tunic had the Prussian style (stand and fall) collar.

The Canadian other ranks uniforms didn’t stand up well to service in France and many were replaced with British tunics. I’m not sure if the Canadian variation was commonly issued post WWI or if they used the British pattern, but the British version was issued up to 1939 when it was replaced with the short tunic battle dress.

It’s possible the photograph was taken in Canada pre WWI, but whatever the period it was and if you can identify possible names, you should find some record at http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/genealogy/022-909.006-e.h...

Image2

He’s wearing the British & Canadian Army’s battle dress (Australia had a different uniform) issued from 1939; unfortunately his shoulder titles and flash are not clear enough to identify anything else.

The battle dress was worn until the 1950’s but looking at the background of this studio picture I would place it nearer WW2 rather than later.

Jeff
Attachments:

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 3:48AM GMT
Thank you very much for the information and for your time to reply to my post
Sarah
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions