Search for content in message boards

CCC Camp at "New Bridge" in Asheville, NC

CCC Camp at "New Bridge" in Asheville, NC

Posted: 27 Jul 2012 9:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone tell me anything about the camp at New Bridge in Asheville, NC? I believe this is where my grandfather, Garland C. Henderson, served in the CCC. My husband's grandfather lived in Asheville at the time and remembers it being "at New Bridge." I've also been told that this area is where Newbridge Baptist Church is now located in Asheville. I cannot find anything about what the men worked on at this camp, however. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Stephanie F

Re: CCC Camp at "New Bridge" in Asheville, NC

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 3:37AM GMT
I grew up in Newbridge. Newbridge is a community name not a town. My grandfather and great-grandfather also worked for the CCC. One thing I know they did was work on Beaver Lake. As I understand they planted trees (that now line Merrimon Ave going alongside the lake and set rocks in the bank to spell "Beaver Lake." I don't know much about the workings of the CCC but I know alot about Newbridge. Jane Barnett
You may contact me via email: sjanebarnett@aol.com

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 12:00PM GMT
Thank you Jane! I appreciate the information. I recently heard that the men at the Newbridge camp also worked on clearing the right-of-way for the Blue Ridge Parkway. Do you know if this is correct? Oddly enough I can't really find any information on this particular camp. Thank you again for the help! -- Stephanie F.

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 3:03AM GMT
I have a picture of the camp. My father attened there before WW2. He and his brother trained as machinists and auto mechanics.

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 3:26PM GMT
Hi!

Would you be willing to email a copy to me? My email is shfrady@gmail.com. I really appreciate it! I still can't find much about this camp. Any ideas where I could locate more information? Thanks again! - Stephanie

Posted: 29 Nov 2013 6:56PM GMT
Hi Stephanie,

My Dad was the commanding officer at the CCC camp outside of Asheville. His was Captain Charles R. Swift. I was born in Bingham Heights in 1935. I do not remember then name New Bridge but I do remember it was a little outside of Asheville and you had to go up hill on a narrow dirt road to get to the camp. Dad would take me to the camp and the guys would fill my pant pockets with rocks and watch me through the day. I do remember riding around in the Army trucks, don't remember much other then that. We left Asheville when the war broke out and wound up in Newport News, VA. I wish I could remember more.
If you received the photo of the camp from the other party would you be kind enough to email it to me at w7arr@msn.com I would like to add it to my Ancestry Records.

Bob
per page

Find a board about a specific topic