Search for content in message boards

Williams Family in Monroe County

Williams Family in Monroe County

Posted: 15 Jul 2010 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Apr 2011 2:11AM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Stanley, Ragland, Hayden
My name is Bo Anderson. I am the great-great-grandson of Albert G(allatin) Williams (1807-1869). He was the son of John Williams and Unity Stanley and was originally from Kentucky. He moved to Monroe County, Missouri around 1838 and then Platte County in 1854. In preparation for a trip to Missouri I am taking from August 1st through the 6th, I am researching his family, the Williamses. He was the younger brother of Spotswood S(amuel) Williams (1805-1886), who was a long-time resident of Marion County, MO, and is buried in Sharpsburg Cemetery there. Albert G. and Spotswood S. Williams had a younger sister, Evaline P. Williams (1823-1904). She was first married to John Taliaferro Ragland and secondly William Nesbitt Hayden. She is buried in Saint Jude Cemetery, Monroe City, Monroe County, MO. Do anyone know of any Monroe or Marion County records involving the Williamses? I am looking especially for other siblings. I understand that also buried in Sharpsburg Cemetery is a Arabella Williams (1802-1837). Can you tell me if she is the sister of Albert G. Williams? Also Albert G. and Spotswood S. may have had another brother named William Winston Williams. Do you have any possible information on him? As I understand it, Spotswood S. had a son named William Winston as well who was a long-time Marion County resident.

Are there Monroe County or Marion County Genealogical Societies that could help me locate some of these people and their graves?

Thanks for any help on this matter,

Bo Anderson

arogetes@comcast.net

Re: Williams Family in Monroe County

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 2:41AM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2011 2:12AM GMT
Surnames: williams, sharp
Spotswood S. Williams was born in Virginia on March 12, 1805. At the age of 7, his parents moved to Kentucky. In the fall of 1831 he moved to Monroe County, MO. In 1840 he moved to Marian County, MO. He died on January 22, 1886 at the home of William W. Williams.

Elizabeth R. Sharp was born on August 9, 1812 in Albermarle County, Virginia. She married Spotswood S. Williams on October 2, 1831. She died in August of 1873 at the home of William W. Williams.

Spotswood S. and Elizabeth R. (Sharp) Williams became the parents of elven children:
John R.
Anne E.
Mary M
William W.
James J. W.
Albert G.
Ellen E.
Amanda E.
Belle
Adeline
and one who died in infancy

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 11:54AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Edited: 8 Apr 2011 2:18AM GMT
Surnames: williams
Spotswood, Arabella, Elizabeth, Eveline and a infant had readable tombstones during the 1980 canvass of Marion Co. cemeteries.

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 12:15PM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2011 2:18AM GMT
Not finding a lot of Williams info in Monroe Co..
http://monroe.mogenweb.org/

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 10:32PM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2011 2:15AM GMT
Thanks for your help. A lot of the information you provide appears to be from a profile of Spotswood's son William Winston Williams in the 1895 book, Portrait and Biographical Record of Marion, Ralls and Pike Counties, which seems to have some errors in it.

Based upon the birthdates and places of his children, I think Spotswood arrived in Missouri sometime between July 1834 when his second child was born and December 1835 when his third child was born and no earlier. He started buying government land in northern Monroe County around the same time in 1835. In 1841, he bought 80 acres of land in Monroe County with his brother Albert G.

Also, I think the list of children from the book has one mistake in it. I do not think there was any daughter Adeline. Rather, it appears that for some reason the author substituted the name Adeline for Eveline, the name of a two year old daughter who is buried with her parents (Spotswood and Elizabeth) in the Sharpsburg Cemetery in Marion County.

I understand now that Albert G. Williams owned and operated a stagecoach inn called the Virginia House in the Clinton area of northern Monroe County. Anyone know anything of the Virginia House?

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 10:38PM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2011 2:17AM GMT
I cannot find a death date for Spotswood's son, William Winston (b. 1832). He moved to Tacoma, Washington around 1905 with his son, James Spotswood Williams. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 2:45AM GMT
Edited: 8 Apr 2011 2:16AM GMT
Surnames: berlin, spaulding, shaw
I would be interested in any data found on the Stage Line ?? My grandfather had a farm out near Sharpsburg, has been told it was an old stage coach stop--2 buildings pushed together and additions built, made his house. His name was Ed Berlin, owner today is Harold Spaulding (Scott Conway)and I think the people that owned and maybe ran the stage stop was Henry and Mary Shaw. They are buried on the property.

Carol Piatt
Amarillo, TX.

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 8:59AM GMT
Surnames: Williams
The 1920 Census shows a James (Jene) S. Williams living in Tacoma, WA with wife and daughter and son. Says he is not employed, but daughter is a sales lady and son works in a shipyard. He is age 48 with all family members born in MO.

William F. Williams, age 72, wife Sarah, is listed in the 1910 census for Tacoma, WA. He was born in MO. Father and mother born in VA.

Contact me at rpaynegen at yahoo dot com and I will send you the Ancestry reports.

Dick Payne

Dick Payne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions