Search for content in message boards

Harrison Shorey of Albion Maine

Harrison Shorey of Albion Maine

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 12:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shorey
Is anybody working on Shoreys in Maine?

Looking for evidence that Harrison Gardner Shorey probably born about 1858 in Maine (possibly at Albion, Kennebec Co.) is the son of Harrison Shorey Sr. and Elsy Herrick. Were there any other children to this marriage?

Harrison Shorey Sr. was also married to Lydia Ann Swim . Harrison and Lydia A. are in 1850 census of Houlton, ME. (he is born in Albion and she New Brunswick). Also is child, Elizabeth A. age 2, born Houlton.

Harrison Jr. married Laura Rice from Conneticut and had three sons born between 1880 and 1890, Arthur, Elwood and Eddie. Harrison Jr was deceased by 1892.

Re: Harrison Shorey of Albion Maine

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 2:02PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1940 is the last available census at this time.

American Civil War Soldiers
Name: Harrison Shorey
Residence: Bridgewater, Maine
Enlistment Date: 23 Sep 1862 [1820/1821]
Side Served: Union
State Served: Maine
Service Record: Enlisted as a Private on 23 September 1862 at the age of 42.
Enlisted in Company U, 7th Infantry Regiment Maine on 23 Sep 1862.

1900 -
Elwood Shorey is not listed anywhere.
Arthur is not listed in Maine

1900 -
Name: Laura A Shorey
Birth Date: Jul 1820
Birthplace: Maine
Home in 1900: Vassalboro, Kennebec, Maine
[Kennebec]
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: Maine
Mother's Birthplace: Maine
Mother: number of living children: 2
Mother: How many children: 2 [where is the 3rd child]

NO WWI draft card registration for Elwood, Arthur or Eddie Shorey. WHERE were they born????

1930 -
Name: Edward A Shorey
Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Maine
Race: White
Home in 1930: Howland, Penobscot, Maine
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mildred B Shorey
Father's Birthplace: Maine
Mother's Birthplace: Maine
Age at first marriage: 25
Parents' birthplace: Maine/Maine

Edward A Shorey 43, Maine
Mildred B Shorey 36, Maine - Age at first marriage: 19
Parents' birthplace: Maine/Maine
Natalie Shorey 16, Maine
Ada Shorey 14, Maine
Edward Shorey 9, Maine
Gardner Shorey 7, Maine [named after g/father???]
Joan Shorey 4, Maine

TRY - Find a grave – FREE SITE - volunteer site all states; frequently has headstone pic

DO NOT SEARCH FOR A MARRIED WOMAN USING HER MAIDEN NAME.

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/

Try Vital Records – Birth, Marriage, & Death, Social Security Info., Census Records – FREE ALL STATES
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

Re: Harrison Shorey of Albion Maine

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Shorey
In 1880 there is a Harrison Shorey and Laura were residing at Monticello, Aroostook, Maine with children Charles and Arthur. Harrison is 56 (b. 1824), Laura is 30 (b. 1850), Charles is 22 (b. 1858) & Arthur is 12 (b. 1868). If this transcription is correct then Laura was not Harrison's only wife because Charles is too old to be Laura's son.

What I am starting to wonder is if Harrison Sr. and Harrison Jr. are in fact the same person. I have Harrison Sr. born in Albion, Me. on Oct 30 1821 and I have Sr. married to Elsy Herrick and later to a Lydia Ann Swim. I wonder if Lydia died and he married a third time to Laura Rice?

Wow - I just found a late birth registration for Arthur Shorey born in Rockland, NB on Dec 14, 1881. His father is identified as Harrison Shorey (age at last birthday 70 yrs) and his mother is identified as Laura Rice of Connecticut (age at last birthday 17 yrs). sixty years difference in age??? Laura is the witness to the birth. This makes me think there is only one Harrison and he was a very busy fellow even into senior years.

So to answer your question Arthur was born in Rockland, New Brunswick in 1881. (have birth certificate). According to the 1911 canadian census Arthur was born in the United States in March 1876. Arthur worked for the railway. In 1911 he is identified as a section boss. He died in 1966 after contracting rheumatic fever. Arthur and wife Jane Marr lived at Pembroke, NB.

Elwood Gardner Shorey was born Aug 17 1884 at Hodgdon, Aroostook Co., ME. I found him in 1901 Ellwood, age 16, was living with a Phillips family in Aberdeen, Carleton Co., NB. I have his marriage certificate which states he was 37 when he married Minnie Kilvington at Coldstream, Carleton Co., NB on Jun 15 1921. This agrees with the 1884 birthdate given by his daughter.

The third son Charles Edmond (Eddie) Shorey was born Jan 17 1887 in Littleton, ME. He was married in 1912 to Eva B. Shore in Woodstock, NB. and second to Ethel Agnes Noseworthy in 1921. In 1901 canadian census Edward Shores, age 14, was a lodger with the family of George Swim of Brighton, Carleton Co. NB. He lived in Presquile, Maine. and died in 1975.

Thanks for the help. looks like I really need marriage records for Harrison and his many wives, lol.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions