Search for content in message boards

Philo Smith, Green Twp

Philo Smith, Green Twp

Posted: 10 May 2011 9:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
I am looking for information on the Philo Smith family. He was born in Canada, probably Elgin County. His children (per census) are May b. 1871; Laura B. b. 1874; Myrtle b. 1876; Philo, JR. b. 1877; and Charles b. 1873.
It is possible that Lewis A. House's wife was Philo's sister. Any information on this family would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Philo Smith, Green Twp

Posted: 11 May 2011 9:26PM GMT
Edited: 11 May 2011 9:27PM GMT
I happen to live in Green Twp. and would be happy to try to help. What sorts of information are you looking for? I can look for births, marriages and deaths at the County Clerk's office. Just let me know.

Posted: 11 May 2011 9:32PM GMT
Surnames: Smith and House
Thank you so much. I am trying to prove or disprove that Philo is the younger brother to my great-grandfather, Cyrus S. Smith. Living next door to Philo is Lewis A. and Martha House, and Martha is Philo's sister. He also had a brother Elias Smith married to Leah and he died sometime between 1870 and 1880, they lived on the other side of Lewis and Martha House. My Cyrus Smith was born 1836 in Michigan and died 1905 in Oklahoma. Do you have any ideas about how to find out the names of Philo's parents? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Lynne

Posted: 12 May 2011 10:46PM GMT
Are you saying that Philo died between 1870 & 1880 or Elias? Either way, I can look for any Smith or House (Martha) death records on the off chance that parents' names are shown. Was Philo married here? If so, parents' names may be on the license. In Michigan, by 1870 vital records had only been kept for a few years, and compliance with the law was spotty for awhile. Marriages and deaths are the only 2 options I can think of. So we'll see what is there.

Posted: 13 May 2011 12:23AM GMT
It was Elias that died sometime between 1870 and 1880, Leah (his wife) is in the 1880 census but I can't find her after that. Philo is in the 1930 census of Green Twp, Mecosta County. I don't know where Philo married but a marriage for him doesn't show up in Elgin County, Ontario.
Thanks again.
Lynne

Posted: 18 May 2011 10:57PM GMT
Lynne:
I found the marriage of Philo A. Smith and Harriet A. Thurston on 8 Aug 1869 in Big Rapids, MI. Both were born in Bayham, Canada West. (Apparently Canada was "restructured" some time after that.) Philo's parents were Cynes Smith (born in Maine) and Meredith Cyrus (born in New York). Philo is buried in Highland View Cemetery in Big Rapids. That's just 5 minutes from Green Township. Martha House died 24 Mar 1914 and is also buried in Highland View. Her parents were Israel Thornwell and Lucy Redubon, all 3 from Ohio. Harriet Thurston Smith died 20 May 1929 and is also in Highland View. BTW, I found Philo Jr's birth in Green township on 3 Jun 1875, and his father's name is listed as "Frank", and both parents were born in New York. That is from familysearch.org. Well, we know that old records are sometimes inaccurate. I didn't check the birth records at the county clerk's office for births. Hope all this helps.

Posted: 19 May 2011 1:36AM GMT
All this helps tremendously, thank you so very much.

Re: Joel C. & Lucretia Smith family - Mecosta

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 5:24AM GMT
Joel and Lucretia Smith are buried in Mecosta. Is there a source for a will or any history records in that area on them? Thank you.

Re: Joel C. & Lucretia Smith family - Mecosta

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 5:24AM GMT
Joel and Lucretia Smith are buried in Mecosta. Is there a source for a will or any history records in that area on them? Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions