Search for content in message boards

John Jacob HUBER of Tuscarawas, Ohio>Ottawa Co. Ohio?

John Jacob HUBER of Tuscarawas, Ohio>Ottawa Co. Ohio?

Joseph Hoover (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2002 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hoover, Huber, Weunsch, Miksch
Searching for any information on HUBER/HOOVER families of Tuscarawas, Ohio and/or of Moravian congregations elsewhere in Ohio.

A John Jacob HUBER and Elizabeth are listed September of 1826 in the Gnadenhutten diary of Jacob Rauschenberger. Who were their children? Parents?

A Solomon HOOVER b.6-20-1805 in Maryland wed a Sarah Elizabeth Weunsch in Gnadenhutten? Who were his parents?

John Freidrich Miksch wed Elizabeth HUBER. Elizabeth's parents?

Certificate No. 5495

The United States of America
To all to whom these presents shall come, Greeting:

Whereas, John Jacob HUBER of Tuscarawas County, Ohio,....
....the West half of the Southwest Quarter of Section twelve, in Township six North of range sixteen in the district of Lands subject to sale at Bucyrus, Ohio containing eighty acres:

November 13, 1833

This land appears to be in Salem township of Ottawa county, Ohio.

Were there any Moravian congregations in or around Putnam or Crawford counties in Ohio around 1830?

Re: John Jacob HUBER of Tuscarawas, Ohio>Ottawa Co. Ohio?

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 12:57AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2002 5:37AM GMT
From my MIKSCH data I have the John Frederick MIKSCH b 1783 married on 1804 Elizabeth HUBER b 1780 This couple had nine children, one is Elizabeth HUBER b 1819 so I don't think she is the one you are looking for. I will post your quere on MIKSCH-L@rootsweb.com to see if any of my cousins can help.

Re: Solom Hoover / John Jacob Huber's wife

Posted: 26 Jan 2003 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: HUBER, HOOVER, EVERETT, WINSCH, HARBAUGH, RUTSCHI
Joseph, are you still searching for this info???? I think I just came acrossed some info........

===================
Source: Combination Atlas Map of Tuscarawas County, Ohio
p. 92

By the Moravian records at Gnadenhutten, Solomon Hoover was the son of Jacob and Barbara Hartman Hoover of Harbaugh's Valley near Emmittsburg, Frederick County, Maryland. His mother was of the Harbaughs that named the locality. They are descendants of Yost Harbaugh who emigrated in 1736. "The Annals of the Harbaugh Family," a considerable book published in 1856, show that several of that line settled in Tuscarawas County. Solomon Hoover, born June 20, 1805, was baptized in Graceham Moravian Church, near Emmittsburg, was educated in William and Mary's College and came, in 1826, on horseback to Gnadenhutten where he joined the Moravian Churchin 1828. On November 1, 1832, he married Sarah E., daughter of Jacob and Maria Protzman Winsch who died August 18, 1834. On June 11, 1835, he married Elizabeth F., the oldest daughter of Joseph and Barbara Miller Everett.............continues...
==================

A surname for John Jacob's wife???..........

================
Source: Church Book of the Brethren's Congregation of Beersheba (Moravian Church)
p. 19

Born May 16, 1827; baptized June 9, 1827. Henry, son of John Everett and his wife Rebecca formerly Tailor. Sponsors: Jacob HUBER and his wife Elisabeth formerly RüTSCHI. Baptism admistered by Brother Jacob Rauschenberger in the parents' house.
============================

Perhaps RUTSCHI was the surname of the wife of the John Jacob you mention? The John Everett who was the father of the baby baptized was brother to the Joseph Everett mentioned in the sketch on Solomon.

The Beersheba records also mention a H. Franz (possibly also known as Francis) HUBER and wife Maria (maiden name not listed). Don't know how they relate.

My husband's ancestor Maritn KAISER married, for his second wife Ann Margaretha "Margaret" HUBER/HOOVER (widow of Rev. Jacob Rauscheberger). She was born 12 Sep 1795 near Graceham, Maryland but I don't know who her parents were. She died 25 Feb 1848 in Tuscarawas County, Ohio.

Hope this helps a bit. --Celia :o)

Re: Solomon Hoover / John Jacob Huber's wife

Posted: 26 Jan 2003 2:32AM GMT
Oops, that subject line should have read SOLOMON, not Solom.

Joseph (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2003 12:25AM GMT
Surnames: Hoover
Thank you for your reply. "...Solomon Hoover was the son of Jacob and Barbara Hartman Hoover of Harbaugh's Valley near Emmittsburg, Frederick County, Maryland. His mother was of the Harbaughs that named the locality..." Who's mother was a HARBAUGH? Solomon or his father, Jacob?

I have these unproven notes in my file, if they connect somehow....

1 John Jacob Hoover
b: March 02, 1762 in Harbaugh Valley,Frederick,Maryland
d: February 26, 1819
.. +Susanna Harbaugh
b: November 06, 1765 in Harbaugh Valley,Sabillasville,Frederick,Maryland
m: January 20, 1787 in Moravian, Graceham, Frederick County, Maryland
d: February 26, 1802

......2 Catherine Hoover
b: October 23, 1787 d: March 10, 1817 ..........+George Weller
......2 Anna Margaret Hoover
b: September 12, 1790 in Graceham, Frederick County, Maryland
..........+Unknown Hershberger
......2 Daniel Hoover
b: May 03, 1792
.......... +Maria Haviland
...... 2 Rachel Regina Hoover
b: August 06, 1796 in Graceham, Frederick County, Maryland
.......... +Peter Kellenberger
m: April 11, 1820 in Frederick County, MD
......2 Elizabeth Hoover
b: June 13, 1799
......2 Johanna Sophia Hoover
b: November 01, 1800
..........+Unknown Peoples
......*2nd Husband of Johanna Sophia Hoover:
..........+Unknown Deal
Thanks very much!

Posted: 27 Jan 2003 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: HUBER, HOOVER, HARTMAN, HARBAUGH, RAUSCHENBERGER, KAISER, Kiser, Keiser
Good question, Joseph! When I first read it, I thought they meant Solomon's mother, Barbara Hartman descended from the Harbaughs. Now I'm not so sure.

Some papers are being mailed out to me today on some of the Moravians that I have in my database that were from Graceham. Perhaps they will give us more answers. I should have them by the end of the week, so if you don't hear from me over the weekend, remind me!

The Anna Margaret Hoover, d/o John Jacob & Susanna Harbaugh Hoover, sure sounds like she could be my Margaret that married (2nd) Martin Kaiser. The month and day of birth match, but the death record stated she was born in 1795. Also she married (1st) Rev. Jacob Rauschenberger, not a Hershberger. The papers I'm getting also include information on her, so we'll have to compare notes.

Later! --Celia :o)

Posted: 1 Feb 2003 8:20PM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2003 3:19AM GMT
Surnames: HUBER, HARTMAN, HARBAUGH
OK, Joseph.....I was sent info from the book "Moravian Families of Graceham, Maryland." On page 48, it basically had the same info you had on John Jacob HUBER b. 2 Mar 1762. His first wife was Susanna HARBAUGH, as you have. She was d/o Jacob & Margaret Harbaugh. His second wife was Barbara Hartman. The only child listed for the second wife is Solomon, b. 20 June 1805. No parents or dates were given for Barbara Hartman, so I don't know how or if she is related to the Harbaughs.

So it looks like Solomon and my Anna Margaret (if that is really her, and I think it is) were half siblings.

Posted: 31 Jan 2010 1:22AM GMT
I am attempting to translate a series of letters my ancestor wrote to Nathanal Seidel of the Moravian Church in the late 1770s from Hope, New Jersey. He indicates that Leinbach, Hantmun, and Huber passed through in 1780 and he requested that they stay.

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 5:59PM GMT
Surnames: HAUSER HOOSER HOOVER
Hello,
I have Moravian HAUSER ancestors from North Carolina, later Pennsylvania. My new-found cousin states that this is pronounced HOOSIER, and hence Ohio (???) is the HOOSIER State, ha ha. Must investigate. I bet HOOVER is a variant. I also have Moravian ancestors who lived in Hope for a short time, then Bethlehem, PA.

Sue Schlack
Moravian Church Genealogy Links http://www.enter.net/~smschlack/

Re: Hoover Huber

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 6:06PM GMT
Surnames: HUEBNER
There is another Moravian family HUEBNER HUEBER, which is pronounced HEEBNER HEEBER. German usually pronounces the second vowel, although family member can decide otherwise down through history.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions