Search for content in message boards

O'Neills, Lisnahunshin Area

O'Neills, Lisnahunshin Area

Posted: 8 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jan 2002 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: O'NEILL, BLANEY

Can someone help?

My g grandmother Alice O'Neill immigrated to Boston from the townland of Lisnahunshin in the Civil Parish of Craigs, ca 1900 after my g grandfather, Henry "White Harry" Blaney died ca1899. I got a copy of the 1862 Griffith's Valuation of Tenements at the local LDS center and was amazed at what I found.

First, there are no Blaneys listed in Lisnahunshin where I thought they would be in 1862 however, there are O'Neills, including a Henry O'Neill. Alice's father was Henry. It might be a connection? Maybe her family set them up on a piece of land?

Second, most of the land's Immediate lessor was a Rev. William C. O'Neill. He also owned extensive land in Lisnagarron, Bracknamuck, Kilcurry, Killygarn, etc.

Does anyone know anything about the Rev. William C. O'Neill? He was obviously a very prominent person in the region. Any biographies on him? Also, I'm not that much up on religion but doesn't "Reverend" usually refer to a Protestant Minister? Alice was a Roman Catholic.

Mush thanks for any help.

Rick Blaney

Reverend

Neal J. Blaney, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 3 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Blaney, O'Neill
Rick: I don't have any data for you concerning your family history or surnames, but the use of the word "Reverend" is very common and appropriate among Catholics. In person, it is the practice to address a priest as "Father", and in the salutation of a letter, one would say, "Dear Father O'Neill". In addressing the envelope, however, as well as the heading of a business letter, the proper form is "Reverend William O'Neill". If he had been named a Monsignor, the proper envelope address would be "Very Reverend William O'Neill" or "Right Reverend William O'Neill", depending upon which kind of a Monsignor the Pope had made him. So now you know more than you wanted to about the use of the title "Reverend" by Catholics......but its use by Protestants is also very common, so you cannot tell a clergyman's specific faith by that title alone.
Neal J. Blaney, Jr. enjb@earthlink.net

Henry O'Neill

Posted: 25 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2002 10:55PM GMT
Surnames: O'Neill, Blaney
Hi Neil:

I don't have any of Alice's sibelings yet, though I know she had relatives in the Mission Hill are of Boston where she lived. I believe a few are still lurking there today. I just haven't started her line yet. Been off on my mother's French Cordeaus for the last 8 months. I will probably start her this fall.

Alice O'Neill's father was Henry O'neill and is listed in the Griffiths Valuation in Lisnagarron, co. Antrim. Her mother was Mary (last name unknown at this time). They were all Roman Catholic. The Rev. Charles O'Neill was Anglican, as it turns out, as Catholics could not have owned the land during that era.

Sorry, I have nothing more at this time. Do you know what County you line was from?

Lets keep in touch.

Rick Blaney

O'Neill Family History

Dan O'Neill (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: O'Neill
Dear Rick:

I recently was reviewing your message. I do not have any information on Rev. William O'Neill however I am searching for a g.g grandfather named Henry O'Neill. I'm not quite sure where he lived in Ireland. One of his sons my g grandfather was named James Edward O'Neill. It is believed Henry married Rose Anne Dornan. James Edward was born about 1880. I'm interested in what information you may have on Henry O'Neill. Do you have any information on your g grandmother, Alice's siblings?

O'Neill Family

Dan O'Neill (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
i'm not exactly sure what county my gg grandfather henry is from. i live in the USA and was reviewing the death certificate of my g grandfather who died in Chicago in 1960. His parents are mentioned as Henry O'Neill and Rose Anne Dornan. He was born in Ireland 1/24/1880. I have reviewed the 1851 census for all the counties in County Antrim which is where I think he may be from. I discovered one Henry O'Neill who was nine during the census living in Aghalee, Co. Antrim. This would make him about 38 when my g grandfather was born. Henry's Mom, two brothers, and two sisters are listed. Do you know when & where Alice was born? Was it around 1880's?

I'm unfamiliar with Griffiths Valuation. Can you explain? Do you know where I could access to it or maybe more recent census records.

Thanks again. I'll let you know if I find anything further.

O'Neill in Shilvodan

Marianne Kendelhardt (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Jane O'Neill bc 1812 and married Patrick Haveron, made their home in Drumkeeran, Shilvodan. She had been from the same townland as Patrick, and she is buried at the old church ruins in Crebilly. They were married about 1840.Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Reverend

Posted: 4 Sep 2001 5:00AM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2006 3:14PM GMT
Surnames: Reverend, Renson
Looking for any information with the surname Reverend. My fathers name is David Henry Reverend. His father is Henry alfred Reverend his grandfather is Julius Henry Reverend who was married to Matilda Renson. I am getting very irritated because as I search for this last name all I come up with is Reverend as a minister or preacher. If you can give me any information I will be blessed with joy. I think they come from france. Thank you very much.

Re: Reverend

Bob Webler (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2005 7:20PM GMT
I have some information on the Reverend family in America and France.
Henry J, his parents and grandfather.

Re: O'Neills, Lisnahunshin Area

Posted: 2 Apr 2009 11:26AM GMT
Rick, i dont know if this messwage will reach you but here goes, i am from lisnahunshin townland, whilst there are no blayneys living here now they do still own land in lisnagarron and a family of blayneys live in nearby killane, ahoghill- who would be relations of yours. there are numerous oneills still living in lisnahunshin who would be relations of yours also,

regards,

Brian

Re: O'Neills, Lisnahunshin Area

Posted: 18 May 2009 3:31PM GMT
hi rick my mother was an oneill from lisnhunchin and i know of the blaneys they used to live close to my grandmothers house in hunchin(as we call it)lol.there was lizzie and mary they used to visit my granny think they were cousins i will ask my mother if she knows anything bout the rev oneill .will let u know claire
per page

Find a board about a specific topic